nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:24 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

This will be the very 1 st NASA-SE Spec Z event...so no precedent has been set. However I assume that Spec Z will run in the Lightning Run Group. I will get with Jim Pantas/NASA head man and confirm this issue.

petemac wrote:
What race group will the Spec Z's be running in? I hope its not the thunder group bc if so I will not be running in the Z. If its in another race group then we will bring the car and run it.

SE Spec Z Series Director

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

laze1 wrote:
This will be the very 1 st NASA-SE Spec Z event...so no precedent has been set. However I assume that Spec Z will run in the Lightning Run Group. I will get with Jim Pantas/NASA head man and confirm this issue.

petemac wrote:
What race group will the Spec Z's be running in? I hope its not the thunder group bc if so I will not be running in the Z. If its in another race group then we will bring the car and run it.

Keep Me Posted. If we dont run at the same time as ST2 I will bring my Z and run, and I may be able to talk Performance Motorsport to come down with there Z as well.

NE Spec Z Dir
NE Driver/ST2 Champ-10,11,12
NE SpecZ Champ-12
RoY-10

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Excellent...I will make it happen :mrgreen:

Even if you guys win all the money :lol: I will be happy to have that many cars for the 1st event!

Beer is on me Sat night (actually on Jim Pantas)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hello...... Just wanted to say hey, my name is Kelly, I am the parts manager at Paul Walsh Nissan in Macon, Ga, We are building a Spec Z right now also, but if anybody needs anything parts wise i can get them or help you get them.

The owner of the dealership is a long time racer, and we run in SpecE30 now in NASA-SE, so we are looking foward to Spec Z taking off in the southeast

the direct line to parts dept (478) 784-6892, Open M-F 8:00am - 5:30pm and Sat 8:00am - 1:00pm

Thanks,

Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:38 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

FastNotFurious wrote:
If NASA is hoping to attract new racers to the sport... I'm in! :) Been sitting on the sidelines with excuses for years but a SPEC class in my favorite affordable car pushed me over the edg.

Picked up an '03 yesterday but I'll spend most of this year working on the toughest part (the driver! :o ) while I build up the car.

Would love to get to know more 350z racers in the triangle area - a buddy of mine is building a car and is happy he finally talked me into getting onto he track and emptying my wallet :lol: . I'm concerned I'll wear him out over time with all my noob questions. :mrgreen:

Anyone willing to share th load?

I am building mine for the 2013 season -- be more than happy to share horror stories as the build progresses - Ill be going full bore on it @ August timeframe. Picked up an 03 for this very reason!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Do it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:37 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I'm not trying to start any arguments here just genuinely curious as to why SpecZ representation is basically dead in most regions? These cars a relatively cheap for the performance you get yet no one is out there. Just not seeing it. Anyone have good reasons or thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:22 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I was also just wondering about why this class has not flourished. Donor cars can be bought in the sub $5K range now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

used ones are cheap
new builds not cheap

what do you mean by cheap

rherold9 wrote:
I'm not trying to start any arguments here just genuinely curious as to why SpecZ representation is basically dead in most regions? These cars a relatively cheap for the performance you get yet no one is out there. Just not seeing it. Anyone have good reasons or thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

My completely unqualified thoughts are as follows....
The 350z is a very middle of the road car.
If you wanted a lighter better handling car you would buy a miata, e30, s2000, boxster, BRZ.
If you were OK with the weight of the z you would buy a c5 vette or e46 m3 instead with more power.

I just don't think that the z does any one thing especially well. It strikes me as being moderately good at everything. That is not to say that they cannot be made to go very fast, but there are many options that are better for (relatively speaking) similar money right out of the box. Given a track car is a no-compromise vehicle, I believe people would rather go for something more extreme.

I also think it is hard to get a new series going. You see a lot of 350zs at the track participating in other series' rather than specZ. I believe it is a bit of a chicken or the egg scenario where no one does spec z, because no one does spec z. there are ways to change this. Why not offer Spec z participants free entry for the first 3 years of the series or something like that. I am willing to bet you would build large classes in no time. Once the roots were down the series would perpetuate itself....again just my thoughts.

2006 Honda S2000 TTC #555
2007 Porsche GT3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next