nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: S197 brake upgrades
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:09 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi, I'm new to the forum and while I may not end up competing in any Spec Iron events , it seems like a good guideline to develop a S197 for club racing. I'm new to road racing and I'm going to be using my 06 GT for driver instruction, licensing and generally any track time I can get this season. I'm posting in hopes of getting some advice or insight into developing the car as I transition it towards track use only and since SI runs close to stock under demanding conditions, I thought this would be a good place to ask. I plan to start out with essentially street tires, some Hawk R street performance pads , high temp fluid and cooling ducts. The question I have is, at what point does the stock ABS system become a limiting factor as I progress towards more aggressive pads and stickier tires? It seems the GT500 HCU and Control module (or M-2353 modules) are necessary with the SI brake and tire package, is this true or are some of you running successfully with the stock GT ABS? I'm wondering if I should consider these components earlier in the progression towards full race spec.
Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: S197 brake upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Welcome to Nasa. For more info on SI info best place to go is facebook here is the link the SI page https://www.facebook.com/groups/577344008998130/. This is where most of us SI racers post
But i would not worry about the stock ABS system. I race a year and half till i got the gt500 pump and Race ecu for the ABS.

#123 07 Mustang GT (SI)
2006 Damon Outlaw Toy Hauler
20FT open trailer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I would invest in a set of caster/camber plates plus what you have already mentioned.You will eat the front tires if you don't

SE Spec Iron #20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:17 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks for your comments. I have a set of Steeda street C/C plates , purchased before I found Spec Iron, I think they are only good for a couple degrees adjustment total. What would be considered a good baseline alignment for the track? I understand this can be a subjective spec.