nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TR racing question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:13 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I joined this forum back in 2011, after 25 years of straight line drag racing I decided I wanted to try another motor sport that gave me more seat time then 8 seconds and still gave me that seat of the pants feel head in the wind I got from sitting between the rails of a dragster. I was hard pressed to possibly find a Thunder roadster at that time to do some track days and maybe more (?), but chose a different direction at that time (ended up restoring a vintage pre ww2 midget race car then building a hand made 1940's open wheeled "champ car"). anyway I still have a dream of an open wheeled style car to toy around with for all the said reasons you read on this forum, cost and function being the top 2 (not gonna go through them all).

but one question I have is what would I have to do to compete in "track days" once I have a running TR? what exactly do I have to do to drive it?

I looked into SCCA and was very discouraged as a local member told me I'd have to join SCCA, do some sort of internship/hazing (manning different parts of the track, parking cars,helping with the events for awhile before actually driving. then I told him I wanted to run a TR and he said I'd have to work my way up through the licensing procedure with full body cars 1st with an instructor, then with a member as a co-driver & eventually they could sign off of moving up to an open wheel car. But then I'd have to go to an open wheel race car school and get licensed ($$$)!

Now I am no stranger to racing . I have been drag racing vintage & current race cars for over 25 years so I understand Tech rules,club rules, Log books, Safety & proving you can handle your car, but at 50 years old it sounds like they want me to hand them my wallet and be a club bitch for 6 months to a year? I have no problem helping a club run an event when I am not racing but at this point I dont even know if I am going to like it till I try it?

I can afford to buy a used TR and rebuild & retro fit it for road course action so I can get my feet wet in timed events/track days but I cant afford to be building various door cars or renting race cars to work my way up to drive a car i will already have "ready to drive". I especially cant afford to go to an open wheeled school like Bertil Roos at Pocono (closest one).

so in a nut shell, do I have to do all that hoop jumping to run in NASA as well, should I just shelve this pipe dream and move on ?

any info or comments will be appreciated,
Paul

Post subject: Re: TR racing question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:38 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

hello paul
the thunder roadster is a perfect choice. I race 125 shifter and 250 superkarts for the passed 35 years. in 2013 I sold my karts and bought a thunder roadster and it was the best decision I have ever made. I three of them at the moment one for my son and two for my self you will love it.
now regarding trying out your thunder roadster just go or contact the nasa road race group in your area and ask to drive in hdpe1 group. this is a very easy going group where you get to drive your car for the first time and show the officials and instructors that you can handle your self. that is how I got started and of course years of you racing will help a lot.
feel free to call me 817 233 6344 for more info. check out few of thunder roaster races in you tube under Firouz haghighi

take care
firouz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:13 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

haase1375 wrote:
hello paul
the thunder roadster is a perfect choice. I race 125 shifter and 250 superkarts for the passed 35 years. in 2013 I sold my karts and bought a thunder roadster and it was the best decision I have ever made. I three of them at the moment one for my son and two for my self you will love it.
now regarding trying out your thunder roadster just go or contact the nasa road race group in your area and ask to drive in hdpe1 group. this is a very easy going group where you get to drive your car for the first time and show the officials and instructors that you can handle your self. that is how I got started and of course years of you racing will help a lot.
feel free to call me 817 233 6344 for more info. check out few of thunder roaster races in you tube under Firouz haghighi

take care
firouz

Firouz,
I have watched your video's, you drive like a formula one driver (calculated & aggressive). Its hard to believe you've only been driving the TR's for 3 years, impressive! I dont even aspire to do half as good as that, right now I just want to try solo time runs to see how far I can push myself & the car & then maybe move up to WTW. Thanks for the info & the offer for direct conversation. I have one more stupid question. where is the best place to take a TR to learn to drive it, before going to a nasa event and running in a hdpe1 group. will a track let me run the car as a newbie to get my feet wet or do I just go to an empty industrial lot on a saturday morning and let er rip (<my chioce as I have no tracks around me,not the best choice as it' will be just flat)?
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:35 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Paul

thanks for nice comments, a 60 years old man needs few nice comment once a while, where are you located??? taking you car to a parking lot is ok but little bet dangers, thunder roadster is fast car just watch out for things, the reason I like the track sessions is because you are driving in a controlled environment.

take care
firouz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:05 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Firouz is a fast driver, he won't lead you astray.

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

thank you Kevin you are very kind, you are a rocket man your self. good luck in nationals this year.

firouz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Not trying to rain on any parades but how do you do de1 in a TR? Some may disagree but I don't think a lead-follow is sufficient.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

braknl8 does make a good point. Not many track day groups are going to let a novice student start out doing lead-follow. you also miss out on very very valuable coaching from your instructor. road course driving is very different than drag racing or spirited street driving. I'm sure you'll pick it up very quickly but you'll have more fun and progress much faster working with an instructor... which means having a vehicle with 2 seats. You'll quickly appreciate that it's for your safety and that of everyone around you that there's a progressive training program in the HPDE world. While I'm confident in my ability not to wreck the car, I want to know that the guy beside me is equally competent to not kill us both. And that comes from knowing he went through the same progressive training that I did.

Run groups are organized by experience level, not what car you have. (a novice in a miata and a novice in a viper go just as slow around the track)

I started with a turbo Miata for my first 2 years doing track days. Wonderful vehicle to learn in. They handle so well that it's hard to over-drive them, and they aren't constantly trying to kill you like a mega-horsepower car. They're cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, easy to work on. And there's always a market to sell when you're ready to move on. Eventually I moved on to a C5 Corvette because I just had to go faster. :roll: (my engine went boom at the last event. I'll spend more fixing it than my entire Miata cost me)

And if you really want something that's tube-frame semi-open wheel... check out the Exocet. Tube frame + Miata drivetrain. Some assembly required.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Paul,

I started out with a Legends car, and SCCA had no problem with me running a single seat car in their school.

I did my SCCA school at Summit Point back in 2000.

They had me ride some laps with my instructor, then between classroom sessions, I moved on to hot laps in my Legends car, following, and being chased by other instructors in their cars.
The weekend finished up with a short race between all the students.

I stated up front that I wanted to get the second school waived, and my instructor signed off on my novice license after only the one school weekend. (I'm not sure if that is still an option or not).

I will say that she pushed me very hard that weekend, and I learned more about driving in those 3 days than I had in my entire life up to then. :-)
SCCA wants to know that you want to RACE, not just drive fast around an empty track.
I even bumped the instructor's car a couple times while sparring.
I thought that was going to hurt my chances, but it just demonstrated to them my willingness to be aggressive in close racing.

The Legends car was about the most fun thing I've ever driven. I have several cars that are much faster, but that short wheelbase on hard tires with a fairly high power/weight ratio really teaches you car control in a hurry.
By the way, my Legends is for sale if you know anyone who may be interested.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:06 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Your friend has no clue how SCCA works. SMH

On edit:
Now that I am on a real PC I will expand...

Quote:
I looked into SCCA and was very discouraged as a local member told me I'd have to join SCCA, do some sort of internship/hazing (manning different parts of the track, parking cars,helping with the events for awhile before actually driving.

Come on down to the D.C. region. Here at Summit point there is no requirement for any of that. Not sure where this is the standard, but it's not with DC region

Quote:
then I told him I wanted to run a TR and he said I'd have to work my way up through the licensing procedure with full body cars 1st with an instructor, then with a member as a co-driver & eventually they could sign off of moving up to an open wheel car. But then I'd have to go to an open wheel race car school and get licensed ($$$)!

Again, not true. You can show up with zero track time to a DC region drivers school. Personally, I recommend you don't, but it's your option. Better to know how to drive on track before you get to the school where you learn to race.

Lastly, Nasa has a great program, and I race with them. There aren't any TR's in the MA region at Summit, but I have seen them at VIR. Not seen any legends in a while.

PM me if you want more info.

05 GTS2 99 M3
05 PTE - Honda Accord LX - SOLD
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD