nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dumb Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:52 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I'm considering a NASA HPDE event at Carolina MotorSports Park in October. I've never done it before so this is all new to me. I've read through the NASA rules and such and the answer to my question was probably there but I'm confused about tech inspection.

Are there two inspections? One on my own and one at the track? Or is there just one that I get done before the event?

Some track sponsored events, such as Turn One at Carolina MotorSports Park, allow you to do the inspection yourself and I'm capable of doing that. But, it looks like NASA requires a professional inspection only at specific garages. Is that correct? If so, how much does this typically cost?

Thanks.

George Barron

Post subject: Re: Dumb Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Someone else can probably give a better (more complete) answer, but from what I've seen there are two tech inspections required for HPDE. One that you do yourself before coming to the track and another by the tech guys once you arrive at the track. Make sure you fill out the HPDE tech form and have it with you when you show up for your on-track inspection. This saves time and doesn't irritate the tech guys. The best idea is to show up on Friday evening and go through tech then as opposed to having to get to the track early on Saturday and rush through tech before the all hands meeting. That just makes for a really busy Saturday morning. Anyway, see you at CMP in October.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks Elliott, that helps.

George
2006 G35 6MT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:41 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I assume you are attending the NASA-SE event in one of the HPDE groups.
If you are capeable of performing your own inspection fill out the pre-tech form and bring it with you. The inspectors at the track are looking for the form to be complete, signed, a valid helmet, everything secured, and brake lights work.

Be sure to visit the nasa-se website, read the supplemental rules, and attend all meetings and classroom sessions!

See you there!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:18 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

and if you're not comfortable or don't feel like you're experienced enough to tech the car yourself don't feel bad having a shop look over the car for you. Better safe than upside down in the gravel trap because a wheel came off or something silly like that and sorry!

Ken Brewer - 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:19 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks guys. I can do the inspection myself. Still haven't committed (signed up) but being able to do the inspection myself will save me money and make it easier on the wallet. I've been reading everything I can on the NASA site so I hope to be prepared. I will be coming with a friend who is an NASA member and who has done this a good many times before, so that will help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I know around here in upstate area there is a NASA Tech inspection station , They charge 30 bucks for the inspection, or you can take it to your local garage were you have all service work done ,and let them audit your vehicle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:41 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

If you have a friend who is use to running with NASA-SE have them help you with your tech. :D

HPDE classroom instructor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

audiobuffru12 wrote:
I know around here in upstate area there is a NASA Tech inspection station , They charge 30 bucks for the inspection, or you can take it to your local garage were you have all service work done ,and let them audit your vehicle.

NASA pre tech inspections are supposed to be free of charge. I found a garage that techs my car for free just by asking around. OP, just take a tech form with you and drive around and ask reputable garages if they will do it for free. Once that inspection is done, bring your tech form with you and turn it in to the tech shed official(s) when you get there. Good luck and see you at CMP! (oh yea...and if you haven't heard yet, I'm the guy that went in the trees in turn 3 at CMP. lurk around enough and you'll find the video.......and all the hazing).

I was afraid I was going to get air in my intake! -ReaperX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks Cooper, the tech inspection looks pretty straight forward so I will probably do it myself.

I saw a YouTube video of a Subaru spinning in turn 3 but it did not leave the track. Hope you did not tear up your car.

George