nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tow vehicle and DD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:55 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

The wife has agreed to trade in the mini van for an suv I can tow with on weekends. It might also cost me a Miata for her on weekends.

Looking at tow options. I am thinking of starting with an open trailer and either a Spec Miata (I can fit), Spec 944 (not that expensive), or and e36. I might move to an enclosed trailer at some point. SUV must fit in garage and be nicely appointed.

Vehicles:
Tahoe
Yukon
Nissan
Toyota
Jeep
Dodge

The Yukon looks the best at this point.

Feedback?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Tow vehicle and DD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

GM = bailout mobiles, blech won't touch 'em. Would rather do a Ford.
Wouldn't touch the Nissan with a 20 foot pole after seeing how "well" they've treated some friends of mine that were Titan owners. Also has just about the least power and least tow rating of the lot.
And I'm still not convinced that Dodge has turned the quality corner yet either. Plus bailout = pass.

Tundra/Seqouia with the big 5.7 = win (if you can pay the fuel bill). Also has the biggest brakes of all of them (at least it did when I was shopping anyway). It won't get good mileage, even for a truck.. don't even try. Mine did handle the tow through the Rockies to Miller and back at 10mph over without batting an eye, and my car is about the weight of the cars you're looking to tow with an open trailer. Temp gauges (coolant, trans) didn't budge once warmed up, and the brakes were well in excess of anything I ever needed. I've had to tow a few times locally with the trailer brakes on the fritz (which will happen to you at some point) and that's when you'll really appreciate the braking advantage imho. Plus I just plain prefered the feel of the 'yota over what I drove when I was shopping (brakes, steering, controls, etc).

My parents are both pretty die hard Ford or Chevy people, and I'm 99% sure my Mom will be getting a Tundra for her next truck (currently has a '06ish C1500, same chassis/engine as Yukon).

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:38 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

I purchased an '08 Titan last fall... love this truck. The Nissans got a bad wrap becaue the earlier Titans had some nagging issues. My research showed that most everything was fixed for 2008+ so I limited my search to that or newer. The good thing is that the bad wrap depressed prices further than a combrable Ford/GM/Toyota product. The Armada basically a Titan SUV but it has IRS vs. a solid axle.

I got my truck for $16k! A comprable GM/Ford/Yota was over 20k most over 22k. Mine's a 2008 4x2 SE with 44k miles on it (at the time of purchase)

2001 Quicksilver Z06 #4 - TT2/ST2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:14 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

+1 on the Toyota 5.7L, very comfortable ride, you can load them up with options on the Limited models.

#350 ST3 Nissan 350Z Japtrix Racing/ProsTuning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:49 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

+2 on the Tundra 5.7l, I bought one earlier this year and have no problems towing my 3k lb evo. I also DD it and it is a VERY nice vehicle, plenty of passenger space. I get around 16.5mpg combined city/hwy, about 15mpg towing (usually all highway) and 18 mpg on the hwy (truck alone). You are welcome to take it for a spin this weekend if you like.

Jim

TTA #357
Mitsubishi Evo 8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:30 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I bought a Nissan Armada for my wife and we both love it. It's been reliable and has all of the bells and whistles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:35 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Chalk me up as one of many shafted by Nissan NA. After raving over my Titan and recommending to many, I cannot ever recommend any Nissan product again. Hope ya'll have better luck.

Yes, earlier years had issues. Too bad Nissan says FU, not our problem..they will literally wait until forced to correct issues by recall when your life/safety becomes an issue, and then still try and get out of it..meh.

Over the years, I'd have to say the mfg's that have stood by their products I have purchased, and have done right by me when issues arose, have been BMW and VW. Wish they made a PU..

94 Miata TTA#12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Go find a used pre-bailout Suburban. If you can find a 2500 with the 6L engine it will tow anything you have planned. You can get them with all kinds of bells and whistles. It's slightly longer than the Yukon, but this allows you to go 3/4 ton. The longer wheel base tends to tow better IMHO. Not sure how big your garage is, but ours fit with room to walk around the front.

Nice thing about an SUV vs a truck, you can keep everything locked inside and don't have to worry about tires/jacks/jugs/etc walking away when you run inside a restaurant for a bite to eat.

NASA Prototype National Director

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

If you're interested in a Jeep (like me) wait for the Fiat diesel engine, that engine is the only thing that will help me over the "bail out" line.

I'll pay good money to watch you fold yourself into an SM.

I also agree with BPanther on the 3/4 ton long Chevy. I pulled a lot in college when working for a vehical wholesaler, pulling all over the nation, and the long chevy is the way to go unless there is a Cummins to pick from.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:14 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

If it will be tow only and if you're going to do a decent size enclosed trailer, then yes by all means get the bigger burlier 3/4 ton.

If you actually have to park anywhere in a parking garage, or city spaces, or will just plain be driving it everyday you'll hate it. You'll probably slightly hate the 1/2ton sized stuff too, but at least it is liveable and doable in those conditions...

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3