nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:23 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Genoa..... Genoa.... Genoa.....

(rhymes with Toga.... Toga.... Toga....)

It's not exactly at the geographic center of the country, but it's within 300 miles of it. What could be more fair than that?

Friday's race could be held on the West side, Saturday's on the East side and then Sunday's big event could run the full 6.3 miles.

http://www.genoamotorsports.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:25 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Personally I like Mid-Ohio. I don't mind travelling cross-country once a year. On the other hand, I wonder if some mid-west guys don't like running "the same track we ran last month". Could be boring for them.

Given the option, once this contract runs out (and if it's not renewed), I'd like to see us go somewhere without a NASA presence. Road America? Pacific Raceway? Portland?

If you want to remove "hometrack advantage, you gotta go where no one lives, and I've been to those out in the desert. Believe me, it's great to have a track like MO that welcomes and supports us - and has a semblance of civilization around it!

SoCal CMC #36

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:41 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Location: 2011 HPD Honda Challenge H1 National Champ, 2010 H2 National Champ: HC's ONLY 2-class Nat'l Champ
King Matt wrote:
on the West Coast of all places, is laughable. :roll:

Eventhough Nationals will be held at Mid-Ohio for at least the next 3 years, why would the notion of the West Coast be "laughable" to host the National Championship someday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

"Given the option, once this contract runs out (and if it's not renewed), I'd like to see us go somewhere without a NASA presence. Road America? Pacific Raceway? Portland?"

Brad,

Great idea...let's move it to Road America...nobody ever races there!

Um, actually NASA Midwest has raced there every year that there has been a NASA Midwest and many of the region drivers cut their teeth there when starting out.

The "Home Track" advantage only counts for a year or two. If you can't figure MO out in 6 days of driving then you're not going to get it. Moving the Nationals every couple of years put many more at a disadvantage.

Sidney Franklin
AI #64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:15 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

jmeris wrote:
King Matt wrote:
on the West Coast of all places, is laughable. :roll:

Eventhough Nationals will be held at Mid-Ohio for at least the next 3 years, why would the notion of the West Coast be "laughable" to host the National Championship someday?

If you would have quoted his entire comment, you would understand. Someone suggested a circle track, which would be rediculous unless there is a road course at that specific track, like Daytona.

www.alsinfo.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:08 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Although the Fontana track does have both an infield road course configuration and a Roval configuaration that uses part of the NASCAR track, most road racers don't like Rovals and IMO it would be very unpopular to host a national championship at this type of venue. However, the main reason I called the suggestion "laughable" is because California is pretty damn far from where most of the people live in this country, especially racers. Trust me, I lived in LA for eight years so I know all about the feeling that it is the center of the universe. However, one only needs to look at the geographic population density of the US to realize that the majority of people actually live EAST of the Mississippi, and the best way to ensure the failure of this event would be to put it in California.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Matt's right...if the SCCAs HPT experiment has taught anyone anything, its that a national championship (*anyones* national championship) deserves a purpose-built, championship-quality venue with strong road-racing tradition, as close to the racer center-of-gravity (not the geographical center). Rovals aint gonna cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:01 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

bsim wrote:
Given the option, once this contract runs out (and if it's not renewed), I'd like to see us go somewhere without a NASA presence. Road America? Pacific Raceway? Portland?

Why not HPT? I'll bet in a few years, the SCCA will be happy to trade the dates to NASA to get Mid-Ohio back. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

bpanther wrote:
Genoa..... Genoa.... Genoa.....

(rhymes with Toga.... Toga.... Toga....)

It's not exactly at the geographic center of the country, but it's within 300 miles of it. What could be more fair than that?

Friday's race could be held on the West side, Saturday's on the East side and then Sunday's big event could run the full 6.3 miles.

http://www.genoamotorsports.com

or Eagles Canyon.

http://www.eaglescanyon.com/php/welcome.php

jb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:06 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

King Matt wrote:
bsim wrote:

Why not HPT? I'll bet in a few years, the SCCA will be happy to trade the dates to NASA to get Mid-Ohio back. :lol:

I was waiting for someone to say this. :lol:

Geographical-center means nothing if the facility isnt championship-worthy. People *wont* come to a non-worthy track no matter how 'central' it is....they *will* make the extra effort to come to a *worthy* track that's farther away.

Geography is (somewhat) overrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next