nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:38 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Just wanted to post a reminder about running the NP01 in TT. We have different ways to fit into the classes.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN 5-3-16
NASA NP01 in ST

Appendix A—Technical Bulletins, Approvals, Assessments for Specific Car Models

NP01 (ST3):
The NASA NP01 is only permitted to compete in ST3 as follows:
1) The Minimum Competition Weight must be equal to or greater than 1800 lbs.
2) The vehicle must be 100% compliant with all NP Series rules, including the specified Toyo 235 x 17 RR tires.
3) The vehicle may compete in regional competition without having chassis Dynamometer Dynojet pre-competition testing, but the driver/owner must still complete a pre-competition ST Car Classification Form.
4) Competition in a NASA Championship event requires pre-competition Dyno testing.
5) The vehicle is still subject to post-competition Dyno inspection, and must be compliant with the 10.0:1 limit of "Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio".
Modification Factors include -0.3 for weight, -0.4 for Non-Production, -0.6 for transmission, +0.7 for tires.

NP01 (ST1/ST2):
1) The NASA NP01 may compete in ST1 or ST2, but MUST assess the -2.0 Modification Factor for weight under 1800 lbs, REGARDLESS of the actual
Minimum Competition Weight. The vehicle is not restricted to NP "spec" modifications or tires.
2) If the vehicle has a NASA/Elan sealed engine, the vehicle may compete in regional competition without having chassis Dynamometer Dynojet pre-competition testing, but the driver/owner must still complete a pre-competition ST Car Classification Form.
3) Competition in a NASA Championship event requires pre-competition Dyno testing.
4) The vehicle is still subject to post-competition Dyno inspection, and must be compliant with the limit of "Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio" for its class.

greg@nasa-tt.com

NASA Prototype National Director

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:24 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

bpanther wrote:
Just wanted to post a reminder about running the NP01 in TT. We have different ways to fit into the classes.

You can run the NP01 in its 100% compliant state for the NP01 class in ST3/TT3 at 1800lbs with driver. Everything must be per the NP01 class rules (tires, bodywork, ECU tune, sealed motor,etc). If you run in ST3/TT3 this way, you do not need a dyno sheet or additional cert paperwork. Again, the car must meet all the rules for the NP01 class and weigh 1800lbs.

You can run the NP01 in ST2/TT2 with any legal ST/TT mods permitted provided you have the dyno sheet and cert paperwork. This is basically the same as any other car in TT/ST2. You will need to meet the calculated HP/WT ratio. Don't forget to include non OEM street car, sequential trans, etc

Good stuff. There is one race in June I may run as ST3 (not a NP01 series race month). Good news on not needing the Dyno sheet also (do all regions know this?). Since we are heavier than originally than thought, getting to 1800lbs is alot easier.

Elan NP01 Chassis #20/Car Number #02
Porsche 911ST 2.5L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:15 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

All regions should be aware of this. I think Greg will add to the ST / TT rules. Worst case, just pull up this forum.

I've been opting for ST2 and TT2 do I don't have to add the weight. I did a dyno run in March and did the paper work which takes all of 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:54 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Out of curiosity, what parameters did NASA use to slot this car into ST3/TT3 as-is in NP01 spec? Has a real hotshoe ran the car at a track against another local ST3/TT3 car and hotshoe to see how they compare on lap times?

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:05 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Tube frame, factory aero, no dyno needed. That's a good one. :lol:
I'm sorry, but why were the ST/TT rules thrown out the window for this car?

#27 '99 FRC
TT3/TT2/ST3/ST2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

The math works out for the 1800 lbs. Since the engine is sealed, each is sealed, intake and exhaust spec then it's pretty much impossible to make more than the HP used for the calcs. We also pull AEM data from the computer and can easily tell if there is power tampering.

As a side note, I'm not interested in doing TT3. I'm 1600 lbs low fuel with driver, the 1800 is way to far away for me. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

sperkins wrote:
Tube frame, factory aero, no dyno needed. That's a good one. :lol:
I'm sorry, but why were the ST/TT rules thrown out the window for this car?

I am totally in favor of running the NP01 in ST/TT3 until their car counts get higher, or if someone wants to run additional events. But they need to follow the same rules as everyone else, including being measure on the NASA certified dyno of your region like every other car. Taking HP measurements at Elan is not apples to apples.

http://www.valkyrieas.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:32 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

With no disrespect at all to the NP01 program, this seems rather exceptional. If it isn't in the rules, it isn't in the rules. Looking at another ST3/TT3 Mazda tube frame car -- does the NP01 really need a special dispensation to compete with a 7's Only Mazda (not to mention vs every other OEM and non-OEM car in the field)?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:35 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Dave,

You realize the issue here, right? NASA develops a car and then says it slots into ST3 without following the ST rules. I agree the math works out, I just did it before reading your post. IF it has 170rwhp, then it nails the 10:1 xx3 limit. HOWEVER, why would this car get an exception from the paperwork AND the certified dyno graph? THAT is the issue.

I have a stock LS6 that a fat man in Kentucky assembled on a Friday 13 years ago. It is still sealed to this day. But because I can tune the car with a laptop, I have to provide a certified dyno graph AND I get "randomly" dyno'ed at multiple events each year.

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

Last edited by brkntrxn on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:38 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

bpanther wrote:
The math works out for the 1800 lbs. Since the engine is sealed, each is sealed, intake and exhaust spec then it's pretty much impossible to make more than the HP used for the calcs. We also pull AEM data from the computer and can easily tell if there is power tampering.

As a side note, I'm not interested in doing TT3. I'm 1600 lbs low fuel with driver, the 1800 is way to far away for me. :shock:

Has anyone ever had one on a NASA certified dyno jet?

With this math they can't make more than 170 HP.

1800/170 = 10.6:1

-.4 non production mod
-.6 sequential trans
+.7 235 Toyo
-.3 for 1800 lbs
= 10:1

http://www.valkyrieas.com