nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Splitting class
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:14 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

All this talk about the differentials is going to hurt the growth of the class.
How about 2 classe like Porsche does.
03,04,05 silver
07,08 gold
So no more talk about it.
The 07,08 nismo are pricy. Let the better off guys play with those and make them really fast.

Post subject: Re: Splitting class
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Sorry typo.

Meant differences, not differentials.

Sorry English is my third language!

quote="esr"]All this talk about the differentials is going to hurt the growth of the class.
How about 2 classe like Porsche does.
03,04,05 silver
07,08 gold
So no more talk about it.
The 07,08 nismo are pricy. Let the better off guys play with those and make them really fast.[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

I see a Spec370Z class being created before the SpecZ is split up

SE Spec Z Series Director

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:58 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

This tends not to work out well. It dillutes the class, splits contingencies, and doesn't solve the arguing - people just find the next smaller difference to argue about. 944 Spec and Cup could not co-exist in the same region. SP3 has been off again and on again over the years, SP1 & SP2 were merged. CMC1 and CMC2 re-merged.

Eric Kuhns#99

Great Lakes ST Director

ST2/3 FrankenFortyFour

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:58 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Sterling Doc wrote:
This tends not to work out well. It dillutes the class, splits contingencies, and doesn't solve the arguing - people just find the next smaller difference to argue about. 944 Spec and Cup could not co-exist in the same region. SP3 has been off again and on again over the years, SP1 & SP2 were merged. CMC1 and CMC2 re-merged.

What he said! Don't split the class!

After being heavily involved in Honda challenge in the early years, the class was at its most competitive when they created basically a 2 class structure, instead of a 5 class structure. No one has proven that the 07-08's are faster, and as series officials have said, even if they do things will be balanced accordingly.

I would agree with creating a 370Z class however for the bigger spenders that don't like spec formats, but this class would likely see a fraction of the entries and would not be competitive. Think AI and AIX, in Norcal anyway there is rarely more than a couple of true AIX cars that make a good race. However they are fun to look at in the paddock and one could argue they increase the visibility of the series. So make a 370z class, let the rules be wide open, and have a couple of wild looking Z's turn some heads towards the class.

http://www.valkyrieas.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:24 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

[i disagree, unfortunately we won't know how many people we will loose to other series.
As it is this series will only be good for z lovers, anyone who is just looking to race and not worry about bs, will go somewhere else.
J must be a great driver, because everyone else looks, darn slow.

uote="B Esquire"]
Sterling Doc wrote:

After being heavily involved in Honda challenge in the early years, the class was at its most competitive when they created basically a 2 class structure, instead of a 5 class structure. No one has proven that the 07-08's are faster, and as series officials have said, even if they do things will be balanced accordingly.

I would agree with creating a 370Z class however for the bigger spenders that don't like spec formats, but this class would likely see a fraction of the entries and would not be competitive. Think AI and AIX, in Norcal anyway there is rarely more than a couple of true AIX cars that make a good race. However they are fun to look at in the paddock and one could argue they increase the visibility of the series. So make a 370z class, let the rules be wide open, and have a couple of wild looking Z's turn some heads towards the class.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Other than being silly to try to race them together The cars and the rules are great, if it was only 03/04 this class would be perfect.
After running a car for a year, I am impressed as how cool these cars are, an 03 that was.
But racing them together is bs. And will keep people away.

esr wrote:
[i disagree, unfortunately we won't know how many people we will loose to other series.
As it is this series will only be good for z lovers, anyone who is just looking to race and not worry about bs, will go somewhere else.
J must be a great driver, because everyone else looks, darn slow.

uote="B Esquire"]
Sterling Doc wrote:

I would agree with creating a 370Z class however for the bigger spenders that don't like spec formats, but this class would likely see a fraction of the entries and would not be competitive. Think AI and AIX, in Norcal anyway there is rarely more than a couple of true AIX cars that make a good race. However they are fun to look at in the paddock and one could argue they increase the visibility of the series. So make a 370z class, let the rules be wide open, and have a couple of wild looking Z's turn some heads towards the class.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Its kinda funny that you think there isn't BS or complaining in every series ever created :).

Racers complain, everyone's car has an unfair advantage, everyone else is getting favorable treatment from the series directors, etc. etc. I don't think you can watch a Rolex or Continental Challenge interview without hearing someone complain. Its just kind of part of the sport, unfortunately.

I don't think there is any real drama yet concerning the 07-08 cars running. All I have heard so far is people wondering what car will be fastest. And it is really not a big concern of mine right now because there are not enough cars running with equal drivers to really know.

So lets just focus on building the class and have rules stability, rather than trying to already hurt car counts by turning away 07-08 cars.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:17 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Brian those are not spec series, I think you are a bit confused.

B Esquire wrote:
Its kinda funny that you think there isn't BS or complaining in every series ever

created :).

Racers complain, everyone's car has an unfair advantage, everyone else is getting favorable treatment from the series directors, etc. etc. I don't think you can watch a Rolex or Continental Challenge interview without hearing someone complain. Its just kind of part of the sport, unfortunately.

I don't think there is any real drama yet concerning the 07-08 cars running. All I have heard so far is people wondering what car will be fastest. And it is really not a big concern of mine right now because there are not enough cars running with equal drivers to really know.

So lets just focus on building the class and have rules stability, rather than trying to already hurt car counts by turning away 07-08 cars.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

No confusion here. Spec series or no, everyone complains, and since we have different models running in our spec series, people will complain.

My point is right now I don't see any real complaining going on or heard anyone say they won't run in Spec Z unless the 07-08's are not allowed. But maybe you have heard something I have not.

This class is struggling for car counts right now, turning people away will only hurt that right? I think everyone realizes that it is in everyone's best interest to grow the series right now, or it will eventually loose support and fizzle and die as a LOT of club series do. Then we will all be stuck with car builds that won't be worth much.

I am excited to run against an HR engine in my 03, always more satisfying to beat someone with handling than with power. Take it as a challenge and lets go beat up some heavy HR cars! :).