nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 am 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 35
I just weighed my car at the March Madness MA even and came in at 3356lbs with little over half a tank of gas. The legal spec weight for the 03 is 3100lbs.. Where in the world do we shave 250lbs? fuel might account for 30-40lbs, bulkhead, another 10-15 maybe...
These cars as is are just too heavy to be competitive. What about allowing plenum spacers to up the tq and hp??

Thoughts?

_________________
2000 Panoz GT-LS ST-2/SU #62 - Gone

2003 Spec-Z #62


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 pm 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:23 am
Posts: 16
The speaker box alone weighs 30 pounds. We just weighed it whole after the shop working on my new cage pulled it out.

You can get the weight down if you work to remove everything you can. I will post some updates as we remove things from the build I am working on now.

_________________
TXOL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 am 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 35
Thanks! Looks like I'll be cutting that out next weekend.

_________________
2000 Panoz GT-LS ST-2/SU #62 - Gone

2003 Spec-Z #62


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 am 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am
Posts: 32
Location: Covington, LA
Blower fan, heater core, install aero latch hood pins, remove A/C compressor, remove all of the tar from the interior panels, cut out unnecessary wiring. There's a ton of stuff to unbolt from the car. However, there are ways, but some people will not be able to achieve that weight with their pre-existing cages made with .120 wall. Run a lightweight Braille battery which will save 30#. You just got to get creative.

My 06' rev up weighed in at 3352 at nationals. The car was still competitive... Some of my other cars will make min weight, it just depends on how you prep it.

thanks,

Jay

www.nexgenmotorsport.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 pm 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:41 am
Posts: 33
Meanwhile, in a basically-stock 370Z with only the rear gutted, 4 point rollbar, and empty gas tank I weighed in at 3132 on the same scales.

But I would totally ballast my way into SpecZ if there was a way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:31 am 
Offline
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 227
Location: redwood city, california
J,
What do you mean by:
My 06 weight was 3352 and still competitive.
I am sure this could be interpreted in a thousand ways.

Thanks




Japelle wrote:
Blower fan, heater core, install aero latch hood pins, remove A/C compressor, remove all of the tar from the interior panels, cut out unnecessary wiring. There's a ton of stuff to unbolt from the car. However, there are ways, but some people will not be able to achieve that weight with their pre-existing cages made with .120 wall. Run a lightweight Braille battery which will save 30#. You just got to get creative.

My 06' rev up weighed in at 3352 at nationals. The car was still competitive... Some of my other cars will make min weight, it just depends on how you prep it.

thanks,

Jay

http://www.nexgenmotorsport.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 pm 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am
Posts: 32
Location: Covington, LA
Meaning I won the 2014 Eastern States Championship and was overweight, hence the term competitive. My post race weight was 3352#. I started the race with a full tank and was running a coolsuit box which weighed 22#. I could have easily made min weight for my class but glad I didn't because my HP was 267.5, so I was 2.5HP over the min HP. The extra 52# allotted me 2.5XX extra HP.

Thanks,

Jay Pellegrini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:22 pm 
Offline
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 227
Location: redwood city, california
J,
Still not sure what you are trying to say;by mentioning that you won the race, as it relates to clarity and ease to comply with the rules, set for all drivers, across this beautiful great nation.
Also not sure if we are talking of the previous set of rules . I was under the impression we were talking about the new set of rules.
Please let me know.
Maybe I need to look for 2015 version of this topic.

Thanks


Japelle wrote:
Meaning I won the 2014 Eastern States Championship and was overweight, hence the term competitive. My post race weight was 3352#. I started the race with a full tank and was running a coolsuit box which weighed 22#. I could have easily made min weight for my class but glad I didn't because my HP was 267.5, so I was 2.5HP over the min HP. The extra 52# allotted me 2.5XX extra HP.

Thanks,

Jay Pellegrini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 pm 
Offline
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am
Posts: 32
Location: Covington, LA
No I'm not saying that every single car will be able to achieve min weight according to the new rules that have been released. Many factors play into consideration. One example may be that a DE car was built with .120 wall roll cage tubing and has more cage than needed, making the car heavier than a similar build with .95 wall tubing. The idea of this class it to get all of the different platforms of 350's relatively close to same power/weight ratio, its been a challenge. Ultimately it comes down to the driver and car setup. Now if one is worried about not being competitive to the surrounding cars in their run group, then they have the wrong outlook on the class.

Back to the original question Eric asked, what are some way to shave some weight, I mentioned them in my post above on some of the ways I have been able to shed weight on other cars I've built. My current car is one example of a overbuilt cage with .120 wall and I don't see myself achieving the 2015 min weight requirements. I'm okay with that for now, because I'm still having fun with the class.

All of our newer builds we are having to add ballast to make the car legal. With that said I'm just offering my 2 cents worth the conversation. I'll be happy to assist in any way I can with the series because I want to see it grow and become great.

Thanks,

Jay Pellegrini
www.nexgenmotorsport.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 pm 
Offline
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 227
Location: redwood city, california
Sorry about your rev up.
Hope you can work it out!
All the best
Rafael


Japelle wrote:
No I'm not saying that every single car will be able to achieve min weight according to the new rules that have been released. Many factors play into consideration. One example may be that a DE car was built with .120 wall roll cage tubing and has more cage than needed, making the car heavier than a similar build with .95 wall tubing. The idea of this class it to get all of the different platforms of 350's relatively close to same power/weight ratio, its been a challenge. Ultimately it comes down to the driver and car setup. Now if one is worried about not being competitive to the surrounding cars in their run group, then they have the wrong outlook on the class.

Back to the original question Eric asked, what are some way to shave some weight, I mentioned them in my post above on some of the ways I have been able to shed weight on other cars I've built. My current car is one example of a overbuilt cage with .120 wall and I don't see myself achieving the 2015 min weight requirements. I'm okay with that for now, because I'm still having fun with the class.

All of our newer builds we are having to add ballast to make the car legal. With that said I'm just offering my 2 cents worth the conversation. I'll be happy to assist in any way I can with the series because I want to see it grow and become great.

Thanks,

Jay Pellegrini
http://www.nexgenmotorsport.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group