nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Secondary Fuel Pump
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:23 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Will another OEM pump fit into the left side tank? it looks to be the same side hole and everything? Are you guys doing something like that and tying them together?

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Fixxxercask wrote:
Will another OEM pump fit into the left side tank? it looks to be the same side hole and everything? Are you guys doing something like that and tying them together?

The Plan is to do just that. Add another OEM pump, take that line and dump into the bucket on the main pump.
Add some relay's and a switch to power secondary but leave the fuel level sender wired, etc....
Keep the system sealed, so, be certain to gasket the punch throughs, etc...

We didnt want to spill the beans, 'till we knew it worked -- but, you had to ask. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Really interested in your guys results. I was thinking more about this today. What about fuel pressure? Would running two pumps force the need to have a regulator?

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:51 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Any updates on this solution?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

sfarrah wrote:
Any updates on this solution?

Not today! Everybody is headed to Barber!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:43 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

So was anyone testing this fix out at Barber? Road Atlanta would be a great test with all the right handers!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

It's hard to get starvation at barber but my car seems particularly susceptible.

I got starvation at one point on Sunday's race, turned on my transfer pump and no problems after that. So positive outcome though not conclusive.

Will be testing at VIR in a few weeks and T17 is notorious. I'll try with a low fuel load to really stress the condition.

Last edited by FastNotFurious on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:52 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Would you care to share the details of how you went about installing the transfer pump? :)

Did you run lines from one side to the other inside the tank? Did you splice the wiring with the other pump?

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:58 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Fixxxercask wrote:
Would you care to share the details of how you went about installing the transfer pump? :)

Did you run lines from one side to the other inside the tank? Did you splice the wiring with the other pump?

So, basically, took an HR pump, drilled a hole through the top (near the electrical connector) and put an AN-6 bulkhead fitting through it (be careful on hole location so fitting nuts will clear - have to dremel the underside of the pump top to make a good flat underside). Then ran a short tube from the AN fitting underside right into the pump "bucket" - this is the output from the transfer pump - just dumps fuel right into the pickup bucket of the main pump. Remove the stock pump from passenger side and add this modified HR pump.

Then, took the stock pump and placed it in drivers side (replacing existing float level sensor). Connected the pump's float level sensor leads to the existing leads (at this point there is basically no difference from stock - same connections all around - car is happy).

Added a quick connect and braided steel line (required by CCR for in-cockpit combustible fluid lines) from output of driver's side pump to AN fitting in top of modified pump on passenger side.

Then hooked a toggle switch up to a new power feed from fuse box to the pump power leads on driver's side. Now I can turn on the transfer pump whenever I want and only when need it, otherwise the system runs just like stock.

Ideally would have liked to run transfer line between chassis & tank but couldn't snake a passage and didn't have time to drop the tank.... I'll see if I can grab some pics a little later....

BTW - if you haven't driven Barber - VERY fun... and different. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

PIXS

SE Spec Z Series Director

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next