nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Secondary Fuel Pump
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

OK, so, I am certain, you guys are looking at the rules and noticed the much needed addition of the secondary pump.
Well, in my couple of hours of searching the web, I can not seem to locate anything related to a secondary pump for the Z

My question is, has anyone done this, if so, would you care to share?
Or
In my previous life, I performed this mod on my BMW M3 - it's relatively simple and wondering if the same process applies on the Z.

purchase 2 new OEM pumps, T-fittings and some fuel hose, tie out the return line from the left side to the right and splice the wiring together

is it that simple?
thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Secondary Fuel Pump
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:57 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I am also interested in this. I do not run Spec Z, but I race a 350Z in TT and PT. I have really bad fuel starvation much like you guys. When I was at VIR in October, if I left the paddock with 3/4 tank or less, within about 4 laps I would be hitting fuel cut coming onto the front straight. I know coming up with a solution would help us also save a bunch of weight too so we can start off with less fuel. That is what I am most interested in.

Devan,
What you mentioned below sounds like it would work, but I am not sure if that is the best route. I don't know much about the Z fuel system though. If recall the pump is on the passenger side I think? We have saddle bag tanks too. Every track that I hit fuel cut on, it is always on right hand turns, so doesn't that mean that all the fuel is going to the left side tank and not getting any pickup?

I am open to any ideas...

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Fixxxercask wrote:
I am also interested in this. I do not run Spec Z, but I race a 350Z in TT and PT. I have really bad fuel starvation much like you guys. When I was at VIR in October, if I left the paddock with 3/4 tank or less, within about 4 laps I would be hitting fuel cut coming onto the front straight. I know coming up with a solution would help us also save a bunch of weight too so we can start off with less fuel. That is what I am most interested in.

Devan,
What you mentioned below sounds like it would work, but I am not sure if that is the best route. I don't know much about the Z fuel system though. If recall the pump is on the passenger side I think? We have saddle bag tanks too. Every track that I hit fuel cut on, it is always on right hand turns, so doesn't that mean that all the fuel is going to the left side tank and not getting any pickup?

I am open to any ideas...

You've got the issue correct and the only legal solution for spec Z is a secondary fuel pump as a transfer pump to move fuel from the left side to right side if the tank, thus feeding the the starved pump.

Hopefully the solution above works as we hope. We're going to try and work it out today hopefully.

It was fun pad docking with you at VIR. I wish they had let us use a real wing in the 2014 rules like your APR wing but no such luck yet.

Phil
The Grateful Zed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:44 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

I am doing some research as well...it would be nice to have a fuel tank out of a car to play with...anybody got one?

SE Spec Z Series Director

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

We have it figured out. Parts will be here mid week. We will post up results by weekend.
Stay tuned. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:24 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Fixxxercask. If you aren't worried about spec z rules and you want to build it right. There is a kit I came across that adds the secondary pump and replaces the fuel rails and creates a nice return line setup and increases pressure. Intended for high HP cars, but appears to be functional for a dual pump system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Thanks Devan.

Let me know what kit that is. I am also interested in what you guys are doing as well.

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Final lap of 40 minute sprint last weekend and going for the lead in turn 17 at Sebring (fast right hander) ....fuel starvation hiccups on corner exit. Tank was full at the start. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated, looking forward to hearing how you guys fixed this crappy problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:37 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Any update on this and what you guys did to get this to work?

#315 TT3 Nissan 350Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:24 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Fixxxercask wrote:
Any update on this and what you guys did to get this to work?

Not yet - have all parts for one car & waiting on pump for second...

Hpoefully soon - won't really be able to test effectiveness until Barber in mid-February... but we'll see if it works as planned at least.