It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:56 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

JohnW wrote:
Hi Sam-

Yeah I know the USTCC schedule, Sam.

I however will never race a series with a SPECed tire. Too bad too, I may have joined them for a couple of rounds.

John,

Yes, after I made those posts last night I remembered your position on spec tires.

Best of luck to you this season in making the jump to PTA, that Intergra should be quick!

Regards,

Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:12 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

JohnW wrote:
Hi Sam-

Yeah I know the USTCC schedule, Sam.

I however will never race a series with a SPECed tire. Too bad too, I may have joined them for a couple of rounds.

This is a curious position. Very few race series don't have a spec tire. It is almost impossible to have fair competition without a spec tire, and invariably all competitors are forced to buy the most expensive tires that get used up after one day...I'll take any tires that can be used for multiple events, that everyone else is using, and that are subsidized by the series!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:31 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

uhm :roll: this thread is still open... :wink: kind of moot point right now... season is underway... i'm fairly new in the race politics and official side of things, but i concur about the spec tire rule, other than ALMS/LMS which various teams have their own each technical tire package with the likes of Pirrelli, Dunlop, etc. , i haven't really heard any other pro series out there with an open tire rule now a days... from NASCAR (GOODYEAR), G/A (HOOSIER), SWTC/GT (TOYO), IndyCars (Bridgestone/Firestone), atlantics (COOPER), IPS, A1GP (COOPER), WCTCC (YOKOHAMA), BTCC (DUNLOP) and even F1 now a sole tire provider in Bridgestone who have beaten out Michellin, Dunlop etc in the past, all this greater/bigger series have spec tires.

i believe it was david phillips from racer magazine who wrote about how the motorsports world has gone spec... for one of many reason... "keeping competition close and cost down"

USTCC flickr.com Photo Group

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:41 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

dave et. al. arguing with John W. is pointless. He doesn't care what you have to say, in fact he wont listen. I have seen/been involved with his "anti-spec" debates for at least 2 year now, maybe even more.

It isn't about who is correct or incorrect, people think different ways and that is it. DO NOT GET IN A DEBATE, it will lead both parties to a feeling of banging thier heads into a brick wall.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

slammed_93_hatch wrote:
dave et. al. arguing with John W. is pointless.

Hi Jimmy, Now be nice. :wink: :)

Pointless, no. Simply, no one has given me a sound argument 'for' Spec tires as of yet. I'm still waiting.

Yes, I've been very consistent in my view of how damaging and limiting Spec tire programs are on our level of motorsports.

No amount of data, such as new profitable contingency programs, real world testimonials, continued manufacturer involvement and product improvements (the free market, capitalistic environment) seem to make a dent on the myth that is "Spec tire".

Thankfully, NASA has a catch-all class (PT) where folks like me can race.

Now, I didn't read the article in Racer magazine by David Phillips. Is it online? But the false premise that Spec tires aid in "keeping competition close and cost down" can be debated/ proven wrong on many levels.

As I've stated many times, Jimmy. If you/ others like spec tires then GOD bless and I'm happy for you. Just understand there are many guys like me who don't and I select which series to race in partly based on this rule. Please respect my position too. :)

Good Luck to all the USTCC racers, since this is a USTCC thread!

Respectfully-
JW

Integra K20a ITR #88

Thanks- Exedy, Hoosier, Carbotech, Hondaworks, DBA rotors and edecals

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:51 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

JohnW wrote:
I however will never race a series with a SPECed tire.

What if Hoosier were the spec tire? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:23 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

clock wrote:
JohnW wrote:
I however will never race a series with a SPECed tire.

What if Hoosier were the spec tire? :)

Hi clock.

Interesting question and yes, a few others have ask it of me.

The Hoosier R6 or (Hankook z214/ Kumho v710) would be a much better tire to "spec" because it would be a "uniform tire". The RA1/ 888 and other "shaved race" tires are the worst tire to call "spec" since there is nothing uniform about them. That would be unless you handle the issue the way Speed WC does.

I'd still be against the idea, but I would have a lesser issue since all Hoosiers are the same. You just can't say that about a shaved tire, there is nothing "spec" about them. The commonly used term should be changed from spec tire to mandated.

Have a great Holiday weekend.

Respectfully-
JW

Integra K20a ITR #88

Thanks- Exedy, Hoosier, Carbotech, Hondaworks, DBA rotors and edecals

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:01 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Well in theory if you take out testing the "SPEC" tire, Nitto NT-01 is FREE to the competitors. 4 free tires with series reg. two free tires every race with your entry, and tires for the podium positions. I really do not care what tire we race on especially when they are free. That is one of the advantages with running a supplied spec tire. A regular spec tire such as Toyo Ra-1, or Hoosier I think sucks. I think with all the different makes of vehicles, it would be nice to have diffenent tires to suit each vehicle, i.e. what tire works good on a AWD vehcile may not be the best for a FWD or RWD.