nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:42 am 
I ahve to mount a fire extinguisher or fire bottle system in my LC and just wanted to see where you all are mounting them. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:14 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

The on-board fire systems in Legends Cars I have seen have the Fire Bottle mounted in the trunk, on the horizontal bar above and in front of the fuel cell. There are at least two nozzles. One nozzle is mounted in the dash, pointing at the driver’s chest/mid section. The second nozzle is either mounted on the fire wall pointed at the engine or sometimes in the car at the driver also. I prefer to have the second nozzle pointed at the most likely source of the fire, the engine. I have thought of adding a third nozzle pointed at the fuel cell.

I have seen the release lever mounted in number of different positions, on the dash, in the driveshaft tunnel, on the rear bulkhead, and on the “B” pillar. I have the release lever mounted on the rear bulkhead, but it would be hard to reach when strapped in. I am planning on moving the release leaver to the right hand side “B” pillar by fabricating a bracket to mount it.

I have seen hand-held fire extinguishers mounted on a SCCA approved bracket in front of the driver’s seat on the floor. For me, the hand-held fire extinguisher would get in the way mounted on the floor. I have thought of mounting a secondary hand-held fire extinguisher on the drive-shaft tunnel, but I don’t like the thought of 5 to 10 pound projectile bouncing around the cockpit if the bracket failed!

Dale

'85 Porsche 944 SPEC #21 & HPDE3

Post subject: Fire extinguisher mount
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:13 am 
Mt fire bottle is mounted horizontal on the drive shaft tunnel with the release mounted in the dash. I have two nozzles pointed at the engine and the fuel cell.

Mike #54.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:47 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Mine is mounted on the floor just in front of the seat. Handle pull is on the dash and nozzles pointing at myself and the engine.

#27 Spec-Miata
Know Fear MotorSports