nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:13 pm 
I know most of the oval guys just blip the throttle and ram it into the next gear. What do the road racer Legends drivers do? This applies to up & down shifts. I am a newbie,be gentle! LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:39 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Blipping the throttle and ramming it into gear is not good for your transmission, now blipping the throttle and grabbing another gear is ok.

I use the clutch on down shifts. Not using the clutch on up shifts requires a little skill and calm nerves. Its hard not to ram it into gear when your closing down on the leader.

Mike #54

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:51 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I always use the clutch.

#27 Spec-Miata
Know Fear MotorSports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

On the subject of shifting, I have found it difficult to "heel-toe" while downshifting with the stock Legends pedals. Someone told me that they had modified their brake pedal to facilitate heel-toe better. Unfortunately, I did not get to see what they had done to the brake pedal.

Has anyone modified their brake or gas pedals for heel-toe down shifting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Since we are talking about pedals, I am a large driver and I have to do everything that I can to make as much room in the cockpit as is possible. I finally found the seat that I should have always had and have it positioned for max headroom and max legroom as I can get. I mounted a 1" square piece of tubing across the width of the floor that butts up to where the floorpan and the thicker plate steel that the brake pedal brackets weld to. This keeps my feet from going any farther forward when I have my heels on the floor and the toes pointed up and against the pedals.
Problem now is that the clutch pedal is going to have to be cut and lengthened about 1 3/4" down with a slight 45 degree or so bend backwards towards the firewall so that with my heels on the floor I can reach the cluctch easily and push it forward right until it is about to hit the firewall. I am also going to cut the brake pedals and drop them down about 1 1/2" lower to the point where the pedal pad area is just above the tube that runs between the two pedals now. I believe after I modify the two, that I will have more room to clutch and brake without having to lift my leg back and up to hit the pedals like I do now.
If anyone has done these mods to their pedals please chime in and post some photos. Let me know what you think about my ideas also. Thanks,LB :?:

Team L.B.R.E. Legends #6 GA
I am an Authorized AMSOIL Dealer
http://www.futuresynlubricants.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:18 pm 
I typically just bang it into gear, both up and down. If you get the timing just right and it slides in pretty easy on down shifts. Up shifts are not a problem, just let off the gas all the way... my big foot has had this problem before.

Some of the tight hair pins are the only corners I have ever had a problem with, and I missed the timing on the shift, and had to use the clutch.

Bill

Post subject: Clutch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:47 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

My personal style is to use the clutch while up shifting and avoid the clutch at all possible costs on the down shift. In my experience using the clutch on the down shift has a tendency to make the rear wheels hard to control under braking as the difference between actual brake pressure applied and the variable engine braking due to the clutch and transmission trying to meet the engine rpm tricky at best..Just a little blip of the throttle and slide her down a gear and "voila" ....no loose condition under braking..... The back end of the car is already light enough at this point.