nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

A good friend of mine who races Formula Ford, had his car trailer stolen (WITH THE CAR INSIDE!) In Oklahoma they don't have tags for trailers and therefore you don't have to register them. As a result of the no-trailer tags, trailers are open season for theives. They probably stole the trailer not knowing or caring what was inside.
Well this got me to thinking and worrying about the safety of my car and trailer. I can add coverage on my home owner's insurance will cover the trailer but not the car.
Does anyone know of an insurance that I can get that will cover my car? I just want coverage against teft.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:40 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Here in Florida, you can get a inland marine policy that insures anything for a stated value. It can insure a trailer, car, tools, etc. I got a quote here, and it was 2.5% of the value. So on $50k of coverage, its $1,250 a year. The only catch is you need an enclosed trailer, which I dont have yet. Insurance varies by state but I would expect you could find something similar. This coverage was through Travelers, an international insurance company. It would cover it for theft, fire, anything really.

#350 ST3 Nissan 350Z Japtrix Racing/ProsTuning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

I've heard of this called Storage-Transportation-Paddock or STP Coverage. Might help in your search, where to look... I dunno.

My mother had a horse trailer stolen in OK while she was at a horse show. Was real "fun" trying to figure out how to get the horses ~750mi back home :x

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:13 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I use http://www.heacockclassic.com/passion/racing-cars

Mazda RX-7 FC3S
Former PT_, Now EP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I use Hagerty.. stated value of car and trailer. runs $400 / yr for $15K of car value. good for storage yard and while towing to track

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:22 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

I still have plates and current registration on my race car so it's covered by my normal auto policy. I told my agent exactly what the car is/was and that I do not epect any coverage on the race track at all. I simply want it covered for theft/fire and while in tow and if I'm driving it on regular roads which is just for shakedown purposes. I basically have liability and comprehensive. It's like $100 per policy period.

For the Panoz my father has he got a custom policy from Grundy or Haggerty I can't remmber which. Covers the car for like $25k for theft/fire/transport etc. etc.

2001 Quicksilver Z06 #4 - TT2/ST2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:50 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Cobra4B wrote:
For the Panoz my father has he got a custom policy from Grundy or Haggerty I can't remmber which. Covers the car for like $25k for theft/fire/transport etc. etc.

Can you find out if he is paying more or less than $500/yr for that coverage?

Tal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:16 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks for all of the responses.
mbuskuhl, I think I am going to go with Heacock's STP coverage. For $15K coverage on the car, it's $250 per year. They don't cover spare parts or tools.
If I add $10K insurance for the trailer, it would be another $138 per year but they still don't cover and tools.
However, typically Home Owner's insurance will cover tool teft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:47 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Here in NC, I added my trailer to the State Farm policy with all my other vehicles. It runs $27 per year to cover the value of the trailer ($2500) with a $100 deductable and it will cover any damage to anyone else IF I were to hit something with the trailer or if it stolen. I still have full coverage insurance on the Z06, so it is covered under its own policy.

SC does not require trailer tags, so it seems somewhat common for trailers to get stolen out of NC and taken to SC. I have had two buddies get their trailers stolen in the past couple of years.

-Kevin

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

OP, check if your car insurance company does RV insurance too. AARP has RV insurance which covers trailer insurance too.