nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where do you get a TR?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:05 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I'm not in the market for a TR right now but sometimes when I'm thinking ahead about future track plans I often come back to the idea of the TR in terms of expense, consumables, etc. But when I look around on the internet there is very little info about these cars and virtually none for sale. Right now I see one on racing junk.com and it is in Texas (only $5000!). (I'm in SC).

So just for pure speculation let's say someone wants to jump in to TR, first as a track day car and then maybe WTW. Where do you find one? I know I can talk to the SE TR guys (Sonny and Ralph, I have not met Randy yet) but it may be 3-4 months before I get to another event.

One other question, can a TR accommodate a tall driver? I'm 6'4" and long wasted which means headroom is usually more of an issue for me than leg room for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:09 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Randy is who you need to talk to. He'll be able to answer any questions you have.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:55 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks Chris. I may be at CMP (as a spectator :x ) later this month so I might try to find him. If Brad is there I need to take a look at his car. If he can find a way to fit in one I probably can too.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:21 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Randy is definitely the one to talk to.
You can build a top car with all the upgrades and spend a decent little chunk or get a used car and still be out there having a blast. We've got a great class and no matter what position you're in, there's always someone you're battling with.
Once you go W2W, you'll look back at track days and wonder why the hell you didn't go W2W sooner.

Brad now has custom built car with extra room in the cockpit, but he drove a standard one for quite a while, so there's definitely ways to fit taller drivers. I'm only 5'10", so no issues for me, but Will is 6'2" and has no issues at all.
Swing by the Full Throttle rig and we've got a few you can sit in just to see the difference seat and pedal placement can make.
We've got the red hauler/stacker and black cars and usually take the corner set-up where the other TR's are. (One intersection towards the pit area from the garages.)

Full Throttle Racing Thunder Roadster (#77)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

n80 wrote:
I'm not in the market for a TR right now but sometimes when I'm thinking ahead about future track plans I often come back to the idea of the TR in terms of expense, consumables, etc. But when I look around on the internet there is very little info about these cars and virtually none for sale. Right now I see one on racing junk.com and it is in Texas (only $5000!). (I'm in SC).

So just for pure speculation let's say someone wants to jump in to TR, first as a track day car and then maybe WTW. Where do you find one? I know I can talk to the SE TR guys (Sonny and Ralph, I have not met Randy yet) but it may be 3-4 months before I get to another event.

Great question George. I have considered the same thing. I have put a lot of money in the Z and would prefer a better long term solution.

#958 Nissan 350Z
HPDE

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:41 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Mike, I often think that I'd want something 'faster' than my Z for a dedicated track car, but then again, I've been passed by TRs when running DE-4.....which is not a knock on the Z, I'm certain the guy passing me in the TR could make my Z go faster than I do. :)

I'm just getting tired of doing the whole brake pads, rotors, fluids, tires and seat swaps every time I go to the track. Pads and tires are expensive for a Z too. So is bouncing off a tire wall. :oops: And whenever I think about a cheap, safe dedicated track car I keep coming back to the TR.

I could run a TR in DE-4 for a while and then get a comp license if I wanted to and a used TR would probably cost less than what my Z is worth now even after crashing it.

The only downside I can see is that I don't see them at VIR, and I like VIR a lot. I could still DE at VIR but I don't think the TRs caught on at NASA-MA.

Anyway, this is pure speculation. Nothing is going to happen soon (I'm paying for a wedding in 2 weeks :( ). I'm always thinking about my options. If I can get over to CMP next weekend I'll try and talk with the TR guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:09 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

n80 wrote:
Mike, I often think that I'd want something 'faster' than my Z for a dedicated track car, but then again, I've been passed by TRs when running DE-4.....which is not a knock on the Z, I'm certain the guy passing me in the TR could make my Z go faster than I do. :)

I'm just getting tired of doing the whole brake pads, rotors, fluids, tires and seat swaps every time I go to the track. Pads and tires are expensive for a Z too. So is bouncing off a tire wall. :oops: And whenever I think about a cheap, safe dedicated track car I keep coming back to the TR.

I could run a TR in DE-4 for a while and then get a comp license if I wanted to and a used TR would probably cost less than what my Z is worth now even after crashing it.

The only downside I can see is that I don't see them at VIR, and I like VIR a lot. I could still DE at VIR but I don't think the TRs caught on at NASA-MA.

Anyway, this is pure speculation. Nothing is going to happen soon (I'm paying for a wedding in 2 weeks :( ). I'm always thinking about my options. If I can get over to CMP next weekend I'll try and talk with the TR guys.

It's also in my long term plans. I'm at the point with the Z that I need to replace the suspension, put in a roll bar/cage, replace seats, replace more bushings, etc. That's a lot of money that could be spent more wisely. I now have two daughters in college so I have to watch how fast I go down the rabbit hole.

Let me know what you hear from the TR guys.

#958 Nissan 350Z
HPDE

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

TowDawg wrote:
Randy is definitely the one to talk to.
You can build a top car with all the upgrades and spend a decent little chunk

What is a front-running TR bringing these days?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:46 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I did race 125 shifters and 250 superkarts for the passed 40 years. I finally got tired of spending mega dollars on the karts. three years ago I bought a 2008 roller TR and bought a hayabusa engine kit from ebay for 2500 and installed and purchased the parts I needed from gary tinker and randy s.. the TR has been the best racing thing I have done in last 10 years. I wished I had switch to TR a long time ago. I simply love it. the equation is like this 25% is the car 25% engine 50% is the driver. if you set the TR correctly and have a reliable STOCK second gen engine and drive it correctly you will finish top 5 overall at your events. check out some of my video's on you tube under firouz haghighi. these cars are by far the best bang for dollar.

good luck

firouz
team texas

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:20 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

N80,

I live between Rock Hill and Fort Lawn. Got my first TR April 2011. I had taken a 2011 Shelby GT500 to CMP in February for my first time ever on any track. I did HPDE1 that weekend and my instructor allowed me to solo on Sunday afternoon. My next event was a turn one day at CMP. After 3 track days, I knew that I needed a track car. I rented a showroom spec Miata from my instructor for my 4th day on a track and didn't like the car. I went to 600 Racing to look at TRs and there was a used one for $8,500 that I bought.

I took my TR to CMP in May and signed up for HDPE2 and was allowed to do lead follow. By the end of the weekend, Randy and Darrel offered to me to take the competition school in June at Road Atlanta. I wrecked my car on warm up laps before the comp school on Friday but repaired it and got in HDPE3 for the weekend.

I raced that car for a while and bought another used TR in 2012. I raced that car for awhile and bought a third TR. Mid 2013 I sold all 3 TRs and got out of racing. June of 2014 I bought back the third TR that had been converted to a ST3 spec and raced in ST3 until the Eastern Nationals where I placed third ( behind 2 Corvettes and in front of 6 TRs and a Mazda)

This year, I have returned my car to TR spec and am racing in the TR series ( currently in second place in points verrrry far behind Ralph Nolan.

I have said all this because it lets you know I have a fair amount of recent experience with TRs and if you like, I am willing to meet you in Rock Hill over lunch to share with you my experiences. You can pm me or we can meet at Marys - you name the day.

Mike Rea