nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thunder Roadster in ST3
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I have been looking at Thunder Roadsters recently as a cost effective way to get into racing. I have been doing lots of reading but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out on them. I would mainly be doing TT3 than transition into ST3 as I get accustomed to the car. I have been seeing the Hayabusa powered cars have success in Texas and Barber in ST3 trim. Do you believe with more development work on aero they can compete with the Corvettes? Road Atlanta will always be a loss as it favors the increased hp vs light weight of the TR. Also has anyone tried running Hoosier A's as I have read the Hoosier 880's that are typically run are not very sticky in comparison. The car being so light I feel like you would still be able to get a ton of track time out of them. There seem to be a couple of hayabusa powered TR on RacingJunk.com what are some of your more educated opinions on these cars and there reliability with the increased power? Sorry for all the questions but the cars look like so much fun with the sequential transmission and open cockpit I just needed to find out more and figured this was the best place to do so.

Thanks
Jon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:43 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

TR's are a blast to drive, but I have no experience with a Busa powered one.
To be honest, while more power would be fun, it's the competition within the TR class (in the Southeast) that makes it even more fun. That's something to think about in terms of power. However, with the new rules (in the Southeast) for the TR class, you can de-tune the Busa engine to 140hp/105tq and weight the car to 1,700lbs (including driver) and run in the standard TR class. We already have at least 2 Busas and a Kawasaki like that now, and one more de-tuned Busa possibly making it's debut at CMP this weekend.

As for the tires, I think some of the ST3 TR's are running Hoosier A's, but you have to run the spec Hoosiers in the TR class.

Full Throttle Racing Thunder Roadster (#77)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

The Thunder Roadster is a great car for ST3. I've competed with mine (Great Lakes Region) in the old STR2 class & for this year I'll be running ST3. By running under ST3 rules you'll have the flexibility to run engine choices, A6's , bigger wheels, larger brakes, experiment with aero, etc. As long as you comply with ST rules & classification parameters. If you'd like to talk/communicate off-line, let me know how to get in touch with you.
I'm familiar with a few of the TR's on-line (Racing Junk) & could give you my thoughts.
Let me know.

Gary Klein
gary.klein@biworldwide.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

The Thunder Roadster is a great car for ST3. I've competed with mine (Great Lakes Region) in the old STR2 class & for this year I'll be running ST3. By running under ST3 rules you'll have the flexibility to run engine choices, A6's , bigger wheels, larger brakes, experiment with aero, etc. As long as you comply with ST rules & classification parameters. If you'd like to talk/communicate off-line, let me know how to get in touch with you.
I'm familiar with a few of the TR's on-line (Racing Junk) & could give you my thoughts.
Let me know.

Gary Klein
gary.klein@biworldwide.com

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:11 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Jon,

The Thunder Roadster came out of the Legend's Roundy-rounders, but the Legions group basically abandoned the cars, because they were too fast for the short tracks, and just plain too fast, and scary for the longer tracks for the 70-80 mph crowd.. I've seen whole boneyards of roller Thunder Roadsters. Rollers are $3,000 on average. A running, but well worn car can be had for $4500-5500.

The car is loosely base on Parnelli Jones 1963 Indy winning Indy cart. Indy cars, and Formula I cars were rather simple from 1958 to 1965. Light, front engined cars with turbo charged, 4 cylinder, 1.6 liter Offenhauser motors good for 200 HP (old formula), and 200 mph.

I think my car looks a lot like Jim Hurtoboise's front engine carts. Jim was the last guy to race, and try to qualify with a front engined car at Indy. His failure to qualify marked the end of privateers at Indy, and in Formula 1. It was the end of the "Romantic" period of racing, and marked the beginning of team racing/commercial racing.

When I drive my cart, I like to think that I am recreating that period. Basically, I am vintage racing. (Jim Clark, Phil Hill, Sterling Moss etc...)

As far as NASA goes, the class is an innovator's class. We have to get the dirt out of our cars. In that way, we are Can Am Group 7 racing, or Formula 1 playing with aerodynamics, and development.

Right now, some of our group is working on aerodynamics. I'm working on gearing, and shift points for maximum acceleration. I believe the cars are grossly under geared, and under utilizing the sequential gear box. Some of us are playing with slicks, but have discovered the increased traction puts more strain on the frame.

Other have gone to the more powerful Suzuki Hayabusa engine. Other are playing with carbon fiber. It is very much like we are recreating the advances made in Formula I, when Lotus, and Ford paired up with a more powerful engine, and light body.

NASA is a little worried, because they don't know where the class will end. Can we get the cars back to 200 mph? What happens then?

Firouz's car is approaching 160 mph, we think. Nobody has tried a turbo charger, (yet). What would 3-5 pounds of boost do to the 205 rear HP Hayabusa motor? I'm playing with stuff from Moto GP.

A Thunder Roadster is fast, and cheap. We can out accelerate, and out brake a Miata. Firouz is challenging Porsche Cup Cars, and 800 Hp IMSA Nascars. A crunched fender on the Porsche cost more than Firouz' whole car.

The cars are fun, fast, cheap, thrilling to drive, and handle well. The group of racers are close, supportive, helpful, and excited.

Buy a Thunder Roadster, and join us. I have two.

Marlon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

You have a pm Marlon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:28 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

marlnoco wrote:
Firouz's car is approaching 160 mph, we think.

160mph in a TR....Is there a cut-out in the floorpan that Firouz's scrotum fits into?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hello All,

Marlon thank you for the nice complement. what Marlon is trying to say is the thunder roadster is a great race car with Yamaha engine however its is much faster with the hayabusa engine. now as they old saying goes different folks different strokes, there is a great thunder roadster program in the east cost where there is a great competition among the thunder roadster/Yamaha group. since 2013 few guys in Texas have started installing the hayabusa engine in the T.R's and this group is growing very fast. in 2013 9 TR's with busa engine where purchased and in 2014 additional 4 TR'S have been purchased so far.

Gary Tinker builds great thunder roadsters/busa that are very fast with very nice parts which he designs and sales..

please understand that I have been racing shifter karts and very very fast 250 superkarts for the past 36 years. that annual budget to run a competitive 250 superkart package per year is about 50k and lots of very late night hours on and off the track, 2 sets of tires per weekend and on and on.
in 2013 I wanted something that was easy to drive with good power and low maintenance cost and overall low purchase price. I found the answer in thunder roadster and I love it. this is what I spend my budget on my TR in 2013.
1- one set of tires that is if your car is setup correctly and you drive it with discipline $250.00
2- 3 oil changes per year $150.00
3- one set of spark plugs $32.00
4- one rear gear oil change $20.00
5-one set of brake pads $175.00
that's all.
the thunder roadster/hayabusa fits perfect in ST3 class and can hang and beat lots of super fast cars in ST3 group and other fast groups. you can see it for your self on few video's I have posted on you tube.

thunder roadster is the very best bang for the buck. Period.... that is why I have three of them
best wishes to all and see you all in Atlanta :D :D you guys better be fast, and bring the best you got because you are going to need it.
Firouz Haghighi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:21 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Firouz,

Where are you getting a set of tires for $250?
While they're cheap as hell anyway, I'd love to find that pricing.

Full Throttle Racing Thunder Roadster (#77)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:23 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I am sorry, I must have been half sleep. I meant to say and post $420.00

regards to all
firouz