nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Went to Roebling for the first time this past weekend (second time driving the new TR's), and had a blast!
We didn't have the best weather and never had a 100% totally dry track, but managed to run consistent 1:22's-1:23's before the rain really let loose on Sun afternoon.
Here's one unedited clip from the first Sunday session, but we didn't run any real times because they had to combine two groups and there was a good bit of traffic (a car went into the woods the session before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no8CadtYKz0

Full Throttle Racing Thunder Roadster (#77)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

TowDawg wrote:
Went to Roebling for the first time this past weekend (second time driving the new TR's), and had a blast!
We didn't have the best weather and never had a 100% totally dry track, but managed to run consistent 1:22's-1:23's before the rain really let loose on Sun afternoon.
Here's one unedited clip from the first Sunday session, but we didn't run any real times because they had to combine two groups and there was a good bit of traffic (a car went into the woods the session before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no8CadtYKz0

What rear end gear are you running. You looked really smooth. Come join us at road Atlanta in a couple of weeks.

#61 Thunder Roadster
2011 STR2 SE Champion
2014 TR Champion
SE Thunder Roadster Director

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I think it's the 2.93 (kind of the universal rear end from what I've heard). I'll have to look back at the build paperwork from 600.
Randy is also sending me a ratio/speed chart. I know he said you guys are running about 135'ish down the back straight at RA when trained up together. We've only had 1 weekend at RA with these cars and could only get to about 105 until the downhill to 10A, and then 115 down the hill before getting on the brakes. That was without training up though, and with the rear wing on the car, although it was set in the most neutral setting.

We're going to be at RA next month. Doing comp school Fri morning, the 3 hour enduro Fri afternoon and racing Sat and Sun. Shouldn't have any problem sleeping Sun night! lol

This was our first time at Roebling and we just played with different lines most of the weekend. We didn't get to run with any TR's at RA either, so it's still a learning process. It will be nice to run with some other TR's and see what improvements we can make. I can tell you, it's just a bit different than my Viper and it's like having to learn how to drive all over again. Everything I knew about braking points/pressure, turn in, track out are all out the window. lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

You will run considerably fast in tandom than by your self. If you were running 1:22's at Roebling you were hualing ass. This is a link to the gear speed charts http://thunderroadster.com/gear_chart.html
I am looking forward tomeeting you. Randy and I teach comp school so I'll see you Friday morning.
Roadsters are different animals no doubt, but absolutely the most fun cars to race of anything I have ever been in.

#61 Thunder Roadster
2011 STR2 SE Champion
2014 TR Champion
SE Thunder Roadster Director

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:01 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

We'll see you there!

From looking at the chart, it seems like we might have 3.30 or 3.33 gears. I swear the paperwork said it was the 2.93. I haven't had a chance to dig it out yet, or maybe the new body/wing slow the top speed down?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:37 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

The rear wing will really hurt your top-end speeds at RA. Most of us don't run the wing there. Most don't run the wing most tracks (including RRR), but I run the wing at CMP & RRR. With wing @ RRR, running consistent 20-21's. With the wing @ CMP, running consistent 49's. (I'm a strong mid-pack runner.) I can't keep up with the likes of Randy, Darrel & Brad (to name a few) but still manage to have fun.

Looking forward to seeing y'all join us at RA in Sept.

POS Motorsports Thunder Roadster #68

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Well, I confirmed we have the 2.93 gears. lol
I was checking the diff housing bolts on my car and the one long bolt (the only one that's not a stud) snapped with almost no pressure on it. It wasn't even close to coming out with a screw extractor, so I got the pleasure of pulling the rear end apart (thanks for the tips Randy). At least I had just changed the diff fluid, so it didn't smell as bad when it spilled all down the front of me when I tipped the gears to get them out from underneath the car. lol
But, on the bright side, I was able to confirm the gears while I had it all apart. No wing and training up must make a pretty big difference down the RA back straight.