nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Classification VW GTi
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I was looking at the classification list to try and figure out where my car belongs and ran into some confusing information. My car has two listings that are equally applicable to my car but both listings have different classifications.

This is what I found:

1.) Golf 2.8L VR6 - NXE
and
2.) GTi 2.8L V6 (174hp) - NXF

Technically, my GTi is a Golf with a 2.8L VR6 which means that it should fit into NXE. But on the other hand, my car is a GTi with 174hp, which should put it in NXF, but it doesn't have a V6 (VW doesn't place a true 'V' in any GTi) it has a 2.8L VR6 with 174hp. Confusing, right?

So which should it be? I have several modifications so I'm not sure if down the road (when I start adding points for these modifications) it'll have an affect on what the final classification will be. So with that in mind, it may be beneficial to know exactly what my base point classification should be. Also, this will determine whether or not points will be added for my tire size since both classes have two different tire size allowances that don't carry point: NXE=235 to NXF=215.

Any help and/or explaination would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:56 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

I think the minimum weights you omitted above tell you those are significantly different cars.

And that yours is a GTI in addition to being a Golf, so #2 applies (kinda like not calling a SRT4 a Neon.)

Anyway, sent to Greg Greenbaum who handles that particular base classing for PT/TT/NASA-X, to get a clarification.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks for the reply, Jon. I understand what you're saying, but I didnt see a listed weight for either car in the NASA-X chart.

I guess what was really throwing me off is the fact that it has the GTi listed as having a V6 and not a VR6, which truth be told, is radically different from the V6 offered in the Passat. Contributing to this confusion is that the Golf is listed as having a VR6 but the fact is that no Golf comes with a 6 cylinder.

Either way, I'm registered for my first ever event at the Meadowlands (yay) where I'm sure to be classed accordingly.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Weights are in the far right column, are you looking at the national classing document http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/nasa-x_classes.pdf ?

VW Golf 2.8L V6 NXF* 3102
VW Golf 2.8L VR6 NXE 2546
VW GTI 2.8L V6 (174hp) NXF 3011
VW GTI 2.8L V6 (200hp) NXF** 3036

My point was that the cars you mentioned - the middle two above - are nearly 500 pounds apart, which to me meant they were likely for different chassis - although I'm not certain on that.

Seems like some confusion comes from the VR6 being considered/called a V6 (even though it's closer to a straight-6) and the GTI being considered a Golf (same chassis code so I can see how that happens.) Hoping Greg can clarify this for all of us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

getfast wrote:
VW Golf 2.8L VR6 NXE 2546

Could this be Mk3 vs Mk4 chassis listings?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:01 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Possibly, although my manual has the car weighing in at 2999lbs.(MKIV), but I'm not sure how accurate that is. It's pretty confusing so I thank you again for your patience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:11 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Light on Fuel wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Jon. I understand what you're saying, but I didnt see a listed weight for either car in the NASA-X chart.

I guess what was really throwing me off is the fact that it has the GTi listed as having a V6 and not a VR6, which truth be told, is radically different from the V6 offered in the Passat. Contributing to this confusion is that the Golf is listed as having a VR6 but the fact is that no Golf comes with a 6 cylinder.

Either way, I'm registered for my first ever event at the Meadowlands (yay) where I'm sure to be classed accordingly.

Thanks again.

Use this:

Unfortunately, VW has used GTI as both a model name and trim name, making things difficult for us. Technically, from what I can find, the 1995 VW Golf has one trim level, called GTI, that has a 2.8L VR6.

Also, FYI, both Edmunds and Autos.msn list all the VR6's as "V6", and much of our base classing information comes from these two (usually fairly) reliable sources.

greg@nasa-tt.com