nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Is it race ready or do you have to build it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:21 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

cosm3os wrote:
It's in my garage until Nov. 5. Then it goes down to Charlotte, N.C. I actually traded it for the SE30.

gluck with it all!

I had to laugh when I saw this ad for an E30,

http://www.racingjunk.com/Improved-Tour ... RADE-.html

Someone going from E30 to SpecMiata

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:46 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Already built and raced in the MA for a few years.

I actually seriously considered buying that car (it was in STL) before I bought the SM. But I didn't want to go back into GTS.

MW Spec E30 #12
PajamaPants Racing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:20 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I do love the concept of Spec E30 just as much as 944 spec (honestly I do.)

I hope you have great success with it and if you can prove cheap operating costs, I might get re-interested for 2013!

Clearly I'm just not a big enough German car or BMW fan though.... and even though I love Porsche more than BMW in my core being, I still don't have an inkling of interest in 944 Spec either.

The basic problem I have with either 944 Spec or Spec E30 is the lack of MFGR support along with parts pricing.

I really like getting 'cost' price on parts from Mazda and Nissan/Infiniti. The contingency potential from Mazda and Nissan Motorsports is a nice bonus too.

I like paying $100 or less for a bumper cover, door or fender on a Miata or Infiniti G20 vs. I can only imagine on a Porsche or BMW. (you just don't find the BMWs or Porsches littering self serve junk yards)

As an example, while briefly contemplating 944 Spec as an option: The 'engine rebuild requirement due to oil starvation' doesn't sit well with me along with the time consuming (aka expensive if you don't do it yourself) clutch job on a 944 transmission... and then the cost of Porsche (or BMW) parts just bugs me I guess and the whole reason I stopped tracking my 993 in the 1st place!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:53 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

you don't buy parts for your 944-Spec or SpecE30 from the dealer... parts costs aren't bad on them from what I have heard from talking to owners/operators that I know :)

Ken Brewer - 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
One of the regular ol' NASA-TX Time Trial Directors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

While it is hard to argue against Mazda's support, the availability of cheap parts for these cars is not an issue for the E30 (no comment on the 944). It turns out, I AM more of a BMW snob than I thought when I bought the SM. Cost to run should be comparable to the SM. Body damage repairs should be fewer. And I get to run a Rondel. Life is good! Bring on the whine and cheese!

MW Spec E30 #12
PajamaPants Racing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

[944 spec perspective]
Lets see, I just bought 4 engine short blocks, and 5 transmissions for $50 each. That seems to be the going price for wheels as well. With the battle ship bumpers we have, if you get punted, you just hook it up to your tow vehicle, and pull the bumper shocks out. I have lots of bumpers I'd give away from parts cars. These parts are not new, and all not all of them are good, but the price is right, if you know where to look. . There is a huge aftermarket/internet support for these old, lovable German cars, and it's very useful. It won't last forever, but it's good so far.

As far as motors, it is important that you build them well, once, and that costs $3,500-$4,000 to do right. As they say, "cry once". Do it right. They are not tolerant of being sloppy, or bad oil, and #2 rod bearing failures result. For perspective, the first motor that I had built (did it right) in 2007, is still racing competively, and burning no oil this year (in the hands of Angil Blazquez). Never any problems, none. This same builder has built 4 more engines for me as I've turned over cars. No motor failures, including multiple enduro seasons, and an 8 hour enduro for me.

I'm sure SE30 is similar. You have to be more creative, internet savvy, and maybe work harder to keep the costs in line, but it is very doable.

Eric Kuhns#80
National 944 Spec Series Director

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:30 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

^ good information to know and that might sway someone who doesn't like Miata's for whatever reason.

I just don't think I want to work that hard to get stuff or spend $4000 on a motor only. I never did on the Miata either and I know that much or more can be spent on a fresh Stewart motor for example.

My comparison point is that a brand new Miata crate motor from MazdaSpeed is still only $2450 last time I checked at the beginning of this season ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:44 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

ceboyd wrote:
I like paying $100 or less for a bumper cover, door or fender on a Miata or Infiniti G20 vs. I can only imagine on a Porsche or BMW. (you just don't find the BMWs or Porsches littering self serve junk yards)

Yes you do.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Yes, thanks Ken for finding that gold mine!

I am impressed that a Miata crate motor is that cheap. That $3,500 944 motor rebuild can (and has) won Nationals. BTW, that price incudes a clutch, because you don't want to have to fix one at the track in 944! I often find that pricing true with SM vs 944 - Sm is a bit cheaper to just race, more expensive to run up front. I suspect SE30 is similar. All good options!

Eric Kuhns#80
National 944 Spec Series Director

Last edited by Sterling Doc on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next