nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Rule Proposal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Kerry can you give some examples of how this would help?

Moving from 2500 range to 3000 could level the playing field for some- but conversely could make it worse for others. If the range is extended more - tuning could lower the power in a range that affects the calculation - but is outside what is normally used. This would penalize people with stock gearboxes but not close-ratio ones.

GTS4 Porsche #15
Spec Miata #115

Post subject: Re: Rule Proposal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:49 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

cstreit911 wrote:
Kerry can you give some examples of how this would help?

Moving from 2500 range to 3000 could level the playing field for some- but conversely could make it worse for others. If the range is extended more - tuning could lower the power in a range that affects the calculation - but is outside what is normally used. This would penalize people with stock gearboxes but not close-ratio ones.

Also in response to gjkasten question:

Is this an "engine tune/power" issue or a "gearing at certain tracks" issue? I run an embarassingly stock E36 M3 engine/tranny/diff in Rocky Mountain and have found some corners at some tracks I "may" be at a disadvantage but have found other corners at other tracks where I had the advantage.

I'm not sure how widening the rpm range is going to help solve this perceived issue. Maybe I'm missing something???

RESPONSE: My thought process in a little more detail is below:

Even though there have been moves to restrict detuning there are still distinct advantages from being able to tune in a broad flat power and torque range, especially when you can reduce torque and power for the measured range. And, to be able to do so you need to make the leap to standalone ECU and pro tuning. My car has a healthy S50 with a very similar power curve to an S52. On most tracks there are many corners where we are exiting at around mid 4k rpm which is right where there is a large ramp in torque and with a detuned motor that is not the case. There is an advantage in coming off the corners with a professionally detuned motor. I have also looked at gearing changes but that can create as many problems as it solves so I came back to the power range and posted this for discussion.

I'm not interested in taking away people's right to a standalone, limit their cc... The thought process is that with a wider range for the average power and torque calculation it would simply limit the advantage and then it's still a choice. Today I believe if you really want to run at the very front it's not a choice, in GTS you still have to take that leap into standalone and detuning.