Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gas Station Outside CMP
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:34 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Background:
On Sunday at CMP a couple of weeks ago, a buddy that runs in TT3 was tagged for a dyno compliance run. After seeing his results, he asked me how my runs on the SE compliance dyno compared to David Farmer Racing’s dyno where he and I both have had our cars inspected. For me at Roebling, I was within 1-2rwhp on both dynos. His experience was vastly different. His car was down about 30hp on the NASA-SE trackside dyno provided by G3 Dyno. I joked and said being low on the track dyno was a GOOD thing, but it gave us some concern. He also remarked that his track times that weekend were well off from his normal performance.

Right around the same time, two other friends came off track from their time trial sessions and both were complaining about their cars. One friend has a 2015 Z06 and he was having trouble accelerating past 115mph where he normally sees 135+. The other friend has a C6Z06 and his engine was spark knocking so bad he could hear it and the knock sensors pulled so much timing his engine was way down on power as well.

Putting two and two together, they figured out that they had all purchased what they thought was 93 octane / premium gasoline from the small gas station just outside the front gate of CMP. By now it was pushing noon and all three were ready to pack it in for the weekend anyway, so they all left and trailered home.

Follow-Up from a Pissed Off Racer:
Message: “I just wanted to give you a heads up on something. The more I sat and simmered about the bait and switch the gas station outside CMP was pulling, the angrier I got. I filled the tank there after the TT warmup Saturday and it was a downhill progression from there with my lap times and performance. I thought it was something I was doing wrong and it ruined my weekend until Kirk mentioned his engine knock and Jason's not getting full power right before leaving Sunday, and we all filled up there. My getting randomly pulled to the dyno on Sunday was coincidence but it confirmed the power issue. I sent David Farmer the raw data from the Sunday dyno and it was BAD. I now have to take my car to him so he can flush the fuel system, let the car run on some good 93 fuel for a bit, then put it on his dyno and see what's going on. (edit – Dyno graph comparisons show as much as a 100hp difference at some points in the rpm range from the good fuel to the bad fuel.)

Therefore, I put my investigator skills to use, did some digging on Scott's Food Stores, then got on the phone with the SC Dept of Agriculture's Consumer Services Director on Tuesday and told him what that store is doing. They sent an investigator to pull a sample, and noting the store only has one underground tank for premium (more than 87) octane fuel, shut his gas sales operation down while the investigation is active for false labeling at the pumps. The preliminary testing of the sample found it to be just barely 90 octane being dispensed when the 93 octane is selected. They'll have the full lab analysis in about a week which will say what exactly is in that tank he's selling as premium fuel. I'll share once I get the copy they're supposed to email me just in case it's anything to be concerned about. In the meantime, if either Jason or Kirk spend any money to purge your fuel system of that garbage, keep your receipts. I intend to seek recovery for my expenses and should you choose to do the same, you'll need them.”

I just wanted to post this so everyone is aware of the perils of purchasing gasoline from that station.

-Kevin Harvey

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 East Coast Champion
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Tis why I've gotten used to carrying my fuel with me (aka bomb) from my e85 inconsistency days. Sucks though, glad ya'll are doing something about it.

#463 TT3/TT2/ST2/ST3/WTH/BBQ Evo IX

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:38 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I went over to that station Friday being in a rush to get on skidpad in the am. The operator commented to me it was 90 ethanol after I pumped it. I went over to the pump and he had used a sharpie to change the 3 to try and look like a 0. The pump stickers were in such crappy condition I had not noticed.

Later that afternoon I grabbed my cans and drove into Kershaw for gas to use over the weekend. I normally always fill cans before I arrive at track but this one time was in an a hurry and knew there was a station I could drive the car to in order to save time. Lesson learned.

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:33 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I want to commend Kevin Harvey on a masterful job at editing my narrative for content before posting here. Those who have the misfortune of knowing me probably recognized that the quoted segment was devoid of anything even remotely offensive. My wife now wants to know if Kevin wants a full time job editing me.

As an update, I got the results of the SC Dept of Agriculture lab analysis. Aside from that fruit punch being passed off as 93 octane fuel actually being 90, it was within tolerance limits of predefined standards. The best part is that in SC, each underground tank must be specifically registered for each octane rating of fuel to avoid filling a tank designated as 89 or 93 octane with 87. The tank that little sh*t stain filled with 90 octane and still charged 93 octane prices for is designated for 93 octane. Therefore, if he wants to resume his fuel sales operations, he has to purge the tank of the 90 and refill with 93 at a considerable expense to himself. That in and of itself makes the whole thing worth it. Hit 'em in the wallet hard enough and I'd bet that he'll think twice before trying to cheat people again.

"I wanna go fast!"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:46 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Do you realize how hard I work to edit MYSELF?!?!?!?!?

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 East Coast Champion
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:16 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I'm just glad all I bought from that turd was a bag of ice....

Seriously, thanks for this info and sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

great work on this one gentlemen - kudos

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:29 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

<devils advocate hat on>

Before you have the pig roast, is it possible the vendor is the one who is doing the screw'n and the station owner is innocent? How often does a station owner test the fuel he's received from his supplier?

05 PTE - Honda Accord LX
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

If I remember don't they make 93 these days with 90 octane and 10% ethanol?

#463 TT3/TT2/ST2/ST3/WTH/BBQ Evo IX

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Funny that somebody was joking in our area on Sunday about that gas station having bad gas. He said that a bunch of people several years ago complained of everything coming out of those pumps being garbage. I have used that station just about every time Ive been at CMP but my car isn't quite as sensitive to fuel changes as others. It still might change the dyno results but I didn't really notice much in the way of performance drop since I usually attribute lap time variations at CMP to the inconsistent track surface.

Yellow #60 944 Spec
2014 SE Region Champion

NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
944-Spec.org