nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Not sure where to put these Qs, so moderators: please feel free to move it if needed.

I’m Swedish, living and racing here in Sweden. I’m contemplating a move to Charlotte, NC for a few years and thought I’d bring my racing car with me (and my dogs... and perhaps my wife). I’ve lived in the area before and I really like it. CMP is nice and I love VIR.

Racing! How could we possibly live without it? I drive a Westfield 7 with a Yamaha R1 engine (~530kg with me in it) on slick tires in a class called “Modsport” (for “Modified Sportscars”) here in Sweden. I’ve read thru the rules online and my car looks to fit your class ST2.

But before I ship my track weapon over I have some Qs. I’d be much grateful if you guys could help me out:
- Can you confirm that NASA ST2 is the right class for my car? Or is there another class, where my car would better?
- FIA approval. Everything on the car is of course FIA-approved and not SFI. From the tank, to the fire extinguisher and the cage. Swapping to a SFI-appoved harness is no big deal, but the cage is FIA-homologated and that is harder to swap. Will my car be approved for racing in NASA with that equipment?
- The rules say “Suitable racing seat”. The seat in my Westy is just a simple plastic seat. In our series over here we have an OK to run non-FIA approved seats in the super7s, since they are so small no FIA-seat will fit. Will this be a problem?
- All of my personal racing gear is of course also FIA-approved and not SFI-approved. Underwear, overall, helmet, hybrid neck protection, etc. Will I be looking at a complete new set of racing clothes? It’s not a show-stopper, but good to know.
- Will my car be welcomed at track days? Last I lived in NC I drove an almost stock Miata and that was of course welcome pretty much everywhere. Will it be possible to find track time outside the actual races with my little screaming and FIA-blessed Westy?

Thank you in advance,
/Torkel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:25 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

I'd bring it over, I bet you'd end up having to make at most minor changes to race wheel-to-wheel in ST, and could very likely run it as is in TT or HPDE.

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:17 pm 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Torkel wrote:
- Can you confirm that NASA ST2 is the right class for my car? Or is there another class, where my car would better?
- FIA approval. Everything on the car is of course FIA-approved and not SFI. From the tank, to the fire extinguisher and the cage. Swapping to a SFI-appoved harness is no big deal, but the cage is FIA-homologated and that is harder to swap. Will my car be approved for racing in NASA with that equipment?
- The rules say “Suitable racing seat”. The seat in my Westy is just a simple plastic seat. In our series over here we have an OK to run non-FIA approved seats in the super7s, since they are so small no FIA-seat will fit. Will this be a problem?
- All of my personal racing gear is of course also FIA-approved and not SFI-approved. Underwear, overall, helmet, hybrid neck protection, etc. Will I be looking at a complete new set of racing clothes? It’s not a show-stopper, but good to know.
- Will my car be welcomed at track days? Last I lived in NC I drove an almost stock Miata and that was of course welcome pretty much everywhere. Will it be possible to find track time outside the actual races with my little screaming and FIA-blessed Westy?

Thank you in advance,
/Torkel.

Like Ken said there's hundreds of track days that'll let you in. Lots of super 7's and such kit cars. But for wheel to wheel one thing that sticks out to me is that we usually declare full fender'd cars such as the "thunder roadster" if you google that. I'm not for certain that your bit of metal on top of the front wheels qualifies but it's worth an email to Greg I think it's still greg at nasa-tt dot com for all super touring exemptions. Seat wise yes I think you'll need an FIA or SFI seat to the CCR specs for racing. Many a custom aluminum seats to be had such as kirkeyracing.com if you can take your own measurements, and WAY safer then a bit of plastic especially in a cockpit like that. FIA clothing should be good. Cage should be good but those somewhat vary depending on region as well so your local tech inspector (for your annual sticker) will advise at your first Nasa weekend at Tech. Like Ken said it could be minor things like safety wire this or remove that. If you slow it down to ST3 that's where most of the open cockpit cars run.

So:
1. i'd email Greg on your car qualifications
2. https://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/license.html for your personal qualifications (only for wheel to wheel).
3. Visit the regions page at nasa-se.com for email contacts on HPDE class you'd qualify for for your first weekend with us.
4. Bring it on

#463 TT3/TT2/ST2/ST3/WTH/BBQ Evo IX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:36 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks a lot for your answer! Souns like a plan. I'll start with emailing Greg and work from there.

I found an XL-sheet you the NASA webpage for calculating what class to end up in. Looked like I had to add a lot of lead for it to fit ST3, but perhaps I filled it in wrong. I need to read up on your way of determining the HP for a car. But all that is a later matter.

/Torkel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:32 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

you may call a dyno from over here a "rolling road" over there if I remember my Top Gear references correctly.

2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:52 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

kbrew8991 wrote:
you may call a dyno from over here a "rolling road" over there if I remember my Top Gear references correctly.
No worries, I get it. We are quite Americanized when it comes to the English language here in Sweden. But by “dyno” we typically mean a hub dyno, so thanks for the clarification.

I assume NASA has a couple of approved (perhaps portable?) dynos that are used for the qualification? The rules clearly said “WHP” so I assume it is simply the power on the rollers that goes into the classification?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:09 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Torkel wrote:
kbrew8991 wrote:
No worries, I get it. We are quite Americanized when it comes to the English language here in Sweden. But by “dyno” we typically mean a hub dyno, so thanks for the clarification.

I assume NASA has a couple of approved (perhaps portable?) dynos that are used for the qualification? The rules clearly said “WHP” so I assume it is simply the power on the rollers that goes into the classification?

Yep. But specifically for RWD cars you have to use Dynojet 224x branded dyno's. The one that comes to the track is a bit tricky so I'd opt for a local shop to do your certification.

#463 TT3/TT2/ST2/ST3/WTH/BBQ Evo IX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:40 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

Dynojet and I think its a couple different models specified fwiw, but that's all in ruleset. Or get it stateside and take the whole car to one of the NASA affiliated shops that can probably handle the tech inspection and may have dyno as well for easy one stop shopping. Or two stops to tech shop and dyno shop if not possible but you get the idea :)

2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:19 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Depending where in Charlotte you relocate there are 2 easy options. South side of Charlotte is Pro Dyno 704-651-3807. North side of Charlotte David Farmer Racing davidfarmerracing@gmail.com

Many of us in NASA SE have used these shops.

Your car is very cool, look forward to seeing it at the track.

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:07 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

In addition to the dyno information Darren posted, the Charlotte area is also home to the NASA-SE Directors (Jim and Julie Pantas) as well as a plethora of NASA approved technical inspectors and shops.

Let us know when you arrive. There are a ton of us in the area.

-Kevin

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 East Coast Champion
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes