nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:15 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

jimbow wrote:
So one of my two year old headsets bought the farm a couple weeks ago. At least it was at the end of the day and I was able to show my student the hand signals while on grid. Was able to borrow another setup from another instructor for Sunday.

ordered another new headset and the cable into the plug is much better

The headsets that broke for me broke because the wire pulled out of the ear piece. On the headset that has not broken so far there is a lug or thick place molded into the black insulation on the wiring. This 'lug' is held in place by the two halves of the ear piece. This should help a little with the problem of loose wires pulling out. The ones that broke did not have this lug. The wiring was just held in place by the two halves of the ear piece compressed against the insulation. Other than that it was just the soldering holding it in. However, the soldering of the tiny wires inside the ear piece is shockingly bad so any impact of twisting is likely to break it loose.

The full face unit I ordered may work. I will not velcro the ear pieces into my helmet as it is not made to accept them. I'll just stuff them in like the others. The mic will velcro in just fine. The mic can be unplugged from the ear pieces. The only problem with this set up is that the main wire is short and will probably need an extension. Headpohne extension cords are cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:48 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Communicator update 03-2018 - We have seen some technology bumps since this thread started so here are some more current items in a detailed blog type form.

#1 - A good choice if you are going car to car with different students - https://www.discoveryparts.com/blog/15-discoveryparts-product-duel-racecom-s-trac-com-vs-chatterbox-s-tandem-pro-2

#2 - A good choice if mounting in your car and giving rides, portable, but a little larger - https://www.discoveryparts.com/blog/19-speedcom-s-2mp-i-coaching-intercom-system-the-best-of-both-worlds

We are always looking for items racers would like feedback on, so if you would like a racing item taken apart, tested, reviewed and put into a blog form, please let us know - Ron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

double post

Last edited by n80 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:38 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Thanks Ron. The Race Com unit is about twice as much as the Chatterbox. But I've had to repair one Chatterbox headset, which worked out fine, and purchase a backup. So, if I had to do it over again I'd bite the bullet and go with the Race Com.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:55 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I have 3 nady units and "like" them... They don;t make them anymore, but for $50 they got the job done.

I bit the bullet with the new speedcom unit through discoveryparts after looking at the racecom. Its definitely more expensive, but man is the audio quality light years ahead of the Nady and chatterbox.

I will put it through its paces at Sebring April 21/22, but I am happy so far. Just note, it is a bit "bulky" so I have come up with a creative solution that will also be tested. I mounted the unit in a camera bag and made a leg strap to use on track for instructing, so we shall see!