nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:46 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Some of you may not have realized on our shake down day the car wasn't ready to race or run many laps because the interior tin wasn't sealed & the exhaust wasn't thermal barrier coated.

The cockpit needs to be fully sealed from the engine bay & fuel cell area. We use a 3M Fire Retardant Sealer good up to 2000°. The exhaust runs so close to the transmission, the gear oil would overheat in it if the exhaust was uncoated. So we Jet-Hot coat the inside & outside of the header tubes & exhaust. (Mufflers only on the outside) This knocks down the radiant heat around the transmission & driver by 40-45°.

The Mustang comes apart late this week to go to powder coat. In our Track-Warrior cars like Greg's ... the steel floor, firewall & bulkhead/rear deck sheet metal are welded to the chassis ... and get powder coated along with the chassis & cage assembly. When it goes back together for final assembly, Randy Chastain will utilize the 3M Fire Retardant Sealer on every seam under the car, at the firewall & at the rear bulkhead & decklid sheet metal. This prevents C0², smoke, oil, fire, etc from entering into the cockpit.

I'm outlining this important step, because many of you already have, or will, modify the sheet metal in your builds & NEED TO KNOW it's critical to seal it & what to use. It's NOT OK to leave any seam unsealed. It's unsafe.

The car will go back together later this month & get ready to go run the NASA event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows California on Aug 4-5. Since the car wasn't built to fit a class, we will run it in the "Unlimited" class of NASA's Time Attack, known as TTU. Since it is an unlimited class, often there are Prototype race cars that run in TTU.

We won't stand a chance against any Prototype race cars, with our Trans Am style 70 Mustang. But if there are no Prototype race cars, we'll have a good shot at running up front. Our driver Benny Moon is super talented, but hasn't been in a real race car is many years, so he'll need to shake off the rust as we work up to speed.

I don't know how fast we'll get this first weekend. I plan to do only basic tuning for balance. But it would be fun to have a pool of folks betting on Benny's best lap of the weekend.

We have a betting pool ... similar to a football pool.
* 100 times between 1:50.0 & 1:59.9 lap time, a tenth of a second apart
* Pick one time or as many as your wallet can handle
* Closest time wins all the pool money & bragging rights
* Only 1 time, Best time of the weekend, counts

Pick your time(s) HERE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:29 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi fellow NASA racers.... I'm the owner of the 70 Mustang "track warrior" build Ron Sutton Racing built for me.

This is a BUYER BEWARE post. Perhaps under the forum rules it might be posted in the wrong place IDK.

If you'd like to see the quality of his product and further discussion about what a terrible build this is -- please see a website I have frequented for a number of years... and also a YouTube video.

As one NASA official labeled the car - The One Lap Mustang.

Beginning of build thread here:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56209

A thread started by Ron Sutton to attempt to minimize what the car turned out to be:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56814

A couple of YouTube videos of the car on track - and the body fit and finish - SEPARATE VIDEOS --- can be found if you just search my name Greg Weld -- they'll come up. The Mustang is wrapped in bright yellow. Or here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwPCd1Io3CI&t=1s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:52 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

This '70 Mustang (I'm the owner) will have to be completely rebuilt - rewired - suspension redone before it can make more than 3 laps....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:49 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Just so everyone knows there is a pattern / history of scamming people..... and I'm not making stuff up over a "wrap job". A little reading here... but it's worth it if you're falling victim or were thinking about doing some business.

https://www.courtlistener.com/pdf/20...n_sutton_1.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

For 200K, I'd be asking for the imperfections & issues to be corrected or my money back. That's pretty shabby work for that kind of money.