nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

2012 Rules are Posted!!!

Go to http://www.nasaponycars.com to see the new rules with and without tracked changes. (They will be posted on the main NASA site in the coming days.)

As is the case every year, a lot of time and effort has gone into the review of the American Iron rules by a lot of people. I thank all the racers, regional directors and NASA staff for helping us get to where we are today with the rules. Many have argued that the “Silly Season” has no merit and that we should review and adjust the rules on a more private/personal level. While I agree that this year’s Silly Season did get a bit too silly (and perhaps even destructive) I feel as though we need to keep an open ear to the pulse of the series. As such, I think maybe next year we’ll call it “Reason Season”! This will be a time to “reason” with your directors as to if things are working and provide a good “reason” as to why folks think they aren’t working. Maybe that will keep things “reason”able. Same open forum, different name. :D

With that, I’ll try to provide my “Director’s Cut” as to what we were thinking and some of the reasons behind the rules changes & clarifications for 2012 in the coming days. (Can't right now, got a track event in the AM.) In the meantime, here’s a brief recap of the new AI rules package. (I'll come back later and provide some more detail to each line item.)

Intro- includes a reference to standing & flying starts (CLARIFICATION)

4a & h- Definition OEM – clarifications for BIW and aftermarket tuner cars (CLARIFICATION)

5.5 – clarification of materials used for sunroofs (CLARIFICATION)

6.1 – power/weight ratios changed depending on ABS installation (CHANGE)

6.1.1 – track widths and wheel bases aligned & updated (CHANGE)

6.1.2 – added reference to ground effects and ride height enforcement (CLARIFICATION)

7.3.2 – Shock towers for early (pre-74)AI and all AIX can be removed or modified (CHANGE)

7.3.3 – Incorporated 2011 tech bulletin for early GM front subframes (CHANGE)

7.4.4 – clarified roof materials (CLARIFICATION)

7.4.8 – Clarified dash material and installation (CLARIFICATION – don’t have a cow, I haven't heard of a single dash DQ :wink: )

7.5 – increased max ballast to 300lbs (CHANGE)

7.8.4 – Clarified ABS requirements to align with 6.1 power to weight levels (CLARIFICATION)

7.9.2 – Removed dollar limit for all transmissions and specified hardware requirements. (CHANGE)

8.2 – Clarified that GPS can be used as another tool (CLARIFICATION)

8.3.3- Clarified windshield banner description and source (CLARIFICATION)

11 – Added Robert Ames as the new Rocky Mtn AI Director / Added new website addresses (CHANGE)

Dyno Spec Sheet - Hoods closed for AI (CHANGE)

RCR’s received but NOT implemented into the rules were:

Air Jacks- request to allow tub modifications for air jacks.

Prohibit ABS altogether

3 Race Championship Series – not incorporated into the rules, but still a consideration

Only Factory Tunes or RPM Limits of 6750 for new cars

Transmission limit of $4k

Fuel Bladder replacement clarity (CCR item)

10" wheels

Ride Height to align with CMC

So let this all marinate over the weekend and I'll be back!!!