It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:30 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Background:
Mustang with 8.8" rear

Backlash
I've read anywhere between 0.008-0.012. Not sure if tight or loose is better for racing

Pinion Depth
Does everyone setup their pinion depth for a wear pattern in the middle of the gear, or do you favor the heel or toe of the gear?

Pinion Drag
I've seen anywhere between 16-24 in-lbs on a new bearing... High side or low side of that range??

NASA/TX AI #67

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:43 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

marshall_mosty wrote:
Background:
Mustang with 8.8" rear

Backlash
I've read anywhere between 0.008-0.012. Not sure if tight or loose is better for racing

Happy medium on this guy. Too loose invites more shock loading and noise when you transition from acceleration to deceleration and vice versa. Too tight invites a smaller oil film for lubrication and cooling. Anywhere in that range should be fine.

Pinion Depth
Does everyone setup their pinion depth for a wear pattern in the middle of the gear, or do you favor the heel or toe of the gear?

Right in the middle. Ever so slightly biased towards toe is ok. More safety margin in the toe.

Pinion Drag
I've seen anywhere between 16-24 in-lbs on a new bearing... High side or low side of that range??

Can't comment here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:11 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

lonewolf583 wrote:
marshall_mosty wrote:
Background:
Mustang with 8.8" rear

Backlash

Happy medium on this guy. Too loose invites more shock loading and noise when you transition from acceleration to deceleration and vice versa. Too tight invites a smaller oil film for lubrication and cooling. Anywhere in that range should be fine.

Pinion Depth

Right in the middle. Ever so slightly biased towards toe is ok. More safety margin in the toe.

Pinion Drag

Can't comment here.

Ended up with 0.0075 backlash, wear pattern right in the middle and 26 in-lbs for the pinion drag... It's been about 11 years since I've setup gears and forgot how much assemble/check/disassemble/repeat there is...

NASA/TX AI #67

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:11 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

lonewolf583 wrote:
marshall_mosty wrote:
Background:
Mustang with 8.8" rear

Backlash

Pinion Depth

Pinion Drag

Can't comment here.

Ended up with 0.0075 backlash, wear pattern right in the middle and 26 in-lbs for the pinion drag... It's been about 11 years since I've setup gears and forgot how much assemble/check/disassemble/repeat there is...

NASA/TX AI #67

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:27 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

marshall_mosty wrote:
lonewolf583 wrote:
marshall_mosty wrote:
Background:
Mustang with 8.8" rear

Backlash

Pinion Depth

Pinion Drag

Can't comment here.

It's definitely tedious!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:38 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

https://performanceparts.ford.com/downl ... 4209-8.pdf

I used this and it helped alot. As far as high or low end of preload, i'd say higher end since new bearings wear in and might loosen a hair.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:18 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Backlash is a little tight. Shoot for .011-.015 next time. i.e., for road racing.