nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:44 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi all,

I've been meaning to get on an HPDE day for some time and just noticed there is a session at Sonoma this weekend. I had a couple of questions I am hoping somebody might be able to help with.

1) I didn't register online, is there hope of turning up to the track early tomorrow morning (Sunday) and getting on, or is the event likely fully booked? I don't want to drive out there to find out there is no chance of getting on the track

2) I have not done an HPDE even before, but have plenty of track experience (50+ track days across europe, F3 training @ Sonoma). Given i'm a newbie to HPDE are there steps I need to go through that might hamper getting on track tomorrow?

I appreciate this is very last minute, but if anybody has input that would be awesome!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:56 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

salsoul wrote:
Hi all,

I've been meaning to get on an HPDE day for some time and just noticed there is a session at Sonoma this weekend. I had a couple of questions I am hoping somebody might be able to help with.

1) I didn't register online, is there hope of turning up to the track early tomorrow morning (Sunday) and getting on, or is the event likely fully booked? I don't want to drive out there to find out there is no chance of getting on the track

2) I have not done an HPDE even before, but have plenty of track experience (50+ track days across europe, F3 training @ Sonoma). Given i'm a newbie to HPDE are there steps I need to go through that might hamper getting on track tomorrow?

I know that I'm replying too late for you to drive today, but here are my comments/suggestions to your questions:

1) The online registration typically closes on the preceding Wednesday at 12:00pm noon. After the online registration closes, then there is usually a message that registration at the track costs an extra $100 but you could also e-mail Scott Smith at scott@nasacarcontrol.org and copy Jerry Kunzman at Jerry@drivenasa.com and mention what group you're interested in. Typically, the HPDE groups will fill up at least a few weeks before the event with Sonoma probably filling up sooner than Thunderhill.

2) It sounds like you've got plenty of on track experience, so you could probably e-mail Scott and Jerry and mention your track experience, and see what HPDE group they suggest. Even if they place you in HPDE-1, HPDE-2, or HPDE-3, they might end up giving you a check off ride to go to a higher group. HPDE-1 is nice in that you'll have an in car instructor (assuming that you have a passenger seat) to give on course feedback. You will need to know your flags and exhibit good awareness out on track to be allowed to go to a higher HPDE group.

As far as HPDE is general, take a look at '2016 Norcal Acceptance Package' in the Forms/Rules area of http://nasanorcal.com/forms-rules/ plus take a look at the paddock rules and other files including The Club Codes and Regulations (CCR) including regulations for the car, plus helmet requirements etc. The Nasa Norcal main website is at http://nasanorcal.com/ and the FAQ tab has HPDE Tech Inspection Shop info.
- Jim