nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:20 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi all,

Signed up for my first HPDE event, which will be at Sonoma in March.

I've had an authorized shop pass my car for tech and signed off on the sheet. So I'm assuming I do not need to get that done at the track.

What all do I need to do upon arrival? Where to go? Any forms needed? etc?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:06 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hey!

I will be attending my first HPDE in Sonoma March 14th and 15th as well! I'll keep an eye on this thread, but wanted to add a question:

How does the camping work at Sonoma with HPDE? Do we need to sign up for it in advance? Do we have to pay? Are there showers available, or should we search for a nearby hotel if we want a hot shower?

Trying to plan the weekend with a few friends and want it to be a blast for everyone coming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:11 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

stephenkirsh wrote:
Hi all,
Signed up for my first HPDE event, which will be at Sonoma in March.
I've had an authorized shop pass my car for tech and signed off on the sheet. So I'm assuming I do not need to get that done at the track. What all do I need to do upon arrival? Where to go? Any forms needed? etc? Thanks!

Stephenkirsh – I think that you’ll just need the signed off tech form (which you’ll place under your windshield wiper in the staging area before the first session), plus an approved helmet etc. The HPDE webpage https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/ has more info and requirements, and if needed, the current CCRs (Club Codes and Regulations) are at https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/do ... 15_CCR.pdf and it includes a description of the flags. When you get to the track, then you’ll find a parking spot and unpack all of the loose items from you car – if rain is possible, then good to bring some plastic or a tarp to put around your items. The HPDE/TT morning meeting is usually in the Driver’s Lounge where if you’re in HPDE-1, you’ll meet your instructor. Here is an old schedule from June 2014 http://nasanorcal.com/events/2014/june/junecombined.pdf and it includes a few pages showing what the schedule looks like, plus a few pages showing the paddock map – there are assigned areas per racing/TT group, so don’t park there. The upper paddock is sometimes used for car shows etc., but that info will be included in the schedule/paddock map for the event which you’ll get in an e-mail before the event.

Also good to bring a torque wrench to check your wheels before each session, plus an air pressure gauge to check your tires. When you get off track, your brakes will be really hot, so it is recommended to not activate the emergency brake – so put it in gear if a manual, or use a block of wood to block a tire.

atuca wrote:
Hey!
I will be attending my first HPDE in Sonoma March 14th and 15th as well! I'll keep an eye on this thread, but wanted to add a question: How does the camping work at Sonoma with HPDE? Do we need to sign up for it in advance? Do we have to pay? Are there showers available, or should we search for a nearby hotel if we want a hot shower? Trying to plan the weekend with a few friends and want it to be a blast for everyone coming.

Atuca – you don’t need to sign up for camping – it is instead a free for all… As mentioned above, there are assigned areas for some of the racing and TT groups (and sometimes the HPDE groups), so when you get to the track, then park in the correct area. The paddock will start filling up on Friday night, so if you get there Saturday morning, you might find a small spot in the large lower paddock, or might have to go to the upper paddock assuming that it isn’t reserved for a car show. The paddock is just asphalt, and there aren’t any power outlets nor water, but there are a few water and power outlets elsewhere, plus people with RVs or enclosed trailers will often have their generators running. As far as showers are concerned – I believe that there is a shower in the small bathroom that is located in the ‘business center’ near the Nasa official’s parking area (where you go out on track from the staging area) that is shown on page 3 of the June 2014 schedule above.

Hope that helps – Jim