nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:34 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi -
Have read up on NASA HPDE1, signed/paid up for Sunday 11/10 @ Sonoma.
Current plan is to arrive with a Compact sedan and helmut head sock, little else..

- Needing to rent a basic sz large helmut
- If anyone has info on available car rentals for this event, needing that, I'm flying down from Wa. state. (rear whl drive and 5 spd would - a Miata or possibly a Legends car), send a msg to me to pursue.

I'll provide my driving experience info (55 yrs old professional I.T. & family guy, lots of Kart racing in the 1990's, very fit, will race intelligently)

Cheers

Last edited by flemdl@hotmail.com on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Now I can't comment on the rental car issue. You can rent trackday Miatas from some teams but that would be much more $$$ that just renting a car. But You will need a helmet and we do not rent them at the track. You can purchase on at the race shop (Wine Country Motorsports) at the track. You can borrow one from someone( SA1990 or M1990 or newer rating) but if you really want to pursue trackday events you should buy your own helmet.

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I can't comment on the rental cars from agencies. but you can rent a spec Miata from several teams. You might do a web search for local team will to rent cars.
Also NASA doesn't rent helmets but you can buy one from Wine Country Motorsports at the track but you might lose some track time purchasing the item. You can borrow a help from someone as long as it meet the requirements. ( sa 1990 or M 1990), but I suggest you buy a helmet if you plan on pursuing trackday events.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:07 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Will followup with a day after post. The HPDE1 event ystrdy, my first on track time other then Karts (incl @ Sonoma 20 yrs ago..) was a great time.

My instructor Doug Makishima was very good, really helped maked the day a win. Best advice was brake before turn-in to desired speeds; Look ahead for where wanting to be; Lots of good advice on Sonoma race line for all corners. At end gave me good remarks, said I'm ready for HPDE2. My years way back of Kart racing, some ski racing, and most recently online PC Simracing were useful allrt.

Most useful info from HPDE1 group mtgs @ 8am, and after sessions, to me was: Learning to watch flag stations, handling passing and being passed. Also, they Highly recommending street tires, not sticky's. Same thrills, less chance of a big off, easier to save once loose. Also, new folks tend to shift too often, can spread that out more (well, not relevant to me ystrdy, drove an automatic..)

For next NASA event am shopping around for a car to rent or share. Am racing on a budget but ready to move up frm what I had, Miata preferred. Will next run one a 1day @ RidgeMotorsportsPark in Wa. state where I live.

Thanks again NASA, impressive event!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:32 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Some of the instructors drive in the HPDE-4 group, and will let you ride along as a passenger. It is nice in that you get to experience the track at a really good pace. If the timing of the sessions work out that HPDE1/2 and HPDE-4 are separated enough, then just be at the instructor area around 5-10' before the session with your helmet and ask those that are going out if you can ride along. - Jim