nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tow vehicle and DD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

You're screwed Ken, looks like you get to DD the tow vehicle. Upside is you can get something that won't suck at towing...

Ken Brewer - formerly 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:23 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

kbrew8991 wrote:
You're screwed Ken, looks like you get to DD the tow vehicle. Upside is you can get something that won't suck at towing...

According to most people on most forums you really need one of these to safely tow :lol:

2001 Quicksilver Z06 #4 - TT2/ST2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Thanks.

4x4 '11 Jeep GC 5.7L (yeah it's a hemi) for towing? Will 4x4 cause issues? What can I expect for MPG?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

I'll bet you she still thinks that's too big

(preemptive "That's what she said!")

2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Ken (O), trying to find a vehicle that is both a daily driver as well as a decent towing vehicle is about as hard as finding a decent race car that you would also want to daily drive. (OK maybe not quite that hard, but you get the idea.)

Anything that is going to be small enough that your wife would want to use as a daily driver is probably not going to tow very well. It also depends on what you are going to be towing. For instance, a Spec Miata with an aluminum open trailer could be towed by a Grand Cherokee, probably even a steel open trailer and a Miata would be OK behind that.

That being said I towed an SM with a steel roll back trailer with an 02 Tahoe that was down on power and it was OK, not great. One friend of mine tows a similar rig with a 4runner and it is sketchy at best, another with the same rig and he has a Chevy Trail Blazer, also borderline. The issue you will run into is tires and gear. You might find a smaller tow vehicle that will tow the calculated trailer and car weight, but then you will need 2-3 additional sets of tires, tools, driver gear, cooler, blah, blah, blah... it all adds weight and creates storage challenges.

If it were me, I would try and stick with something like a Chevy Tahoe, Nissan Armada, or similar full sized SUV with a decent sized V8 engine. Actually, I just traded in my tahoe for a F250 diesel because I got tired of towing with the Tahoe and want an enclosed trailer.

SM #59

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:04 pm 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

hmm, JGC rated at 7,400lbs - same as the V8 Durango. Workable if you keep your mind on low weight stuff. But I still bet she says it's "too big", esp since looking at Edmunds and the dimensions the Jeep is 3" wider, 6" taller, and 12" longer.

2012 C6Z06
2010 RX8 R3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:40 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

my buddy has towed everywhere with his 2002 yukon and steel open trailer. he's a naval pilot and has some ridiculous amount of miles on it both dd and towing. i bought a older tahoe but with low mileage and pulls fine (steel open trailer) except up steeps hills it does shift out of od. mileage is about 14-15mpg avg. and 17 or so when i draft begind my buddies rig. lol... of course your wife isn't gonna drive something as old as these but the point i was making was they are dependable and cheap to fix when something wears out. what she probably would drive would be a 2006-2008 yukon or denali. you can proably find one in good shape at a reasonable price and especially with the denali (maybe in blk./ blk. leather) she won't feel emabarassed to be seen driving it.

your ther 2 options, which are similar in size should be the 5.7l toyota seqoiya, or the v8 nissan pathfinder. my buddy did alot of reasearch and bought the toyota. it was older 2003 i think, but ran and looked nearly new. pulled great, super comfy, toyota reliable. i mention the pathfinder because that is what grassroots motorsports chose when they needed a new tow vehicle and have had nothing but great things to say about it. they even pull an enclosed with it so it's gotta be good.

i think a little bling goes a long way in getting your wife into something bigger than she wanted. a blk. denali with a little leather and chrome. a white seqoiya with tan leather, or a charcoal pathfinder with grey or blk. interior sound nice. good luck.

the best medicine is a good track day event!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:28 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I have an older Tahoe with towing package and helper springs. Tows my open trailer fine at any speed. Lots of miles in that config.
Towing my 24' enclosed trailer is a whiteknuckle afair. Lots of windage and wagging the dog.
I will not tow very far only local.

#17 TTU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:34 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I'm towing with a 5.9L dually now. Tows great, can do two two cars if need be, and gets good mileage while towing. My gas bills are halved, pretty much. I'm sold on diesel for towing. However, it's a bit large to daily drive, esp. in an urban environment. If I had to go downtown much, it would be hard to do easily.

NASA Texas TT2 #41

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

My buddy I go to events with has a 08 Tundra. We pull TWO 99 Z28'S to the track on a 42ft open trailer. Only mod to the truck is rear airbags. Gets 10-11 mpg , one bad ass truck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next