nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:21 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

jkittleson wrote:
jvetthead wrote:
jkittleson wrote:

looks like we will have to learn to start protecting the inside line against TT dive bombers thus sacrificing lap times

Okay...point taken. First TT and I was a little excited. No more passing on the first lap...

Coming from a circle track background, I felt like leading the way into turn one was a good thing. I'll chill out Joe.

Dude it was not you that was a good clean pass. I just used your video for reference! sorry for not clarifying that...
Overall I had a great time and another great student and it was another great event.
And welcome to the TT family!
Another apology to the op for raining on your thread. :oops:

#17 TTU

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:33 pm 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

sixace wrote:
Always a good time. Thanks to everyone. One suggestion if I may:

I decided to drop down from TT to DE3 due to the large field and my non-compettive car. As a result, this was the first session on Sat. http://vimeo.com/23170462

We brought it up to our group leaders and it was taken care of (although there were a few similar, less painfull bits in later sessions). Only reason I bring it up, is there were several 1st time NASA DE participants that usually partake in "other" DE track days. I talked a few of them into coming (another reason I dropped to DE3 was to run/film with them). Ultimatly, they were unimpressed with their experience.

The downloads and help from the leaders was great, just perhaps discuss it with the corners before the day(s) begin?

Uhhh yeah.... :oops: This was a case of someone who we were told was pretty much ready to race wheel to wheel and was enrolled in the comp school. It's easy to put anything you want on paper. This particular driver was placed in HPDE1/2 after that first session for a better experience all around. :?

It's just hard to know what to believe or not. If we let people in based on what they say their experience level is to meet the group, we experience issues such as the video above. Fortunately, it usually gets nipped in the bud pretty fast and we can reposition pretty quick.

We will get that on the list of things to talk about at the AM meeting for course officials. Call in freight trains especially at track such as TWS where the group leaders can't see anything from pit wall except the front straight. But we appreciate you getting it called out at the download meeting so we could fix.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:49 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Don't forget the white Evo MR that made a conga line all weekend. Point bys do no justice when the average lap speed is 30mph.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:58 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

iTrack wrote:
Don't forget the white Evo MR that made a conga line all weekend. Point bys do no justice when the average lap speed is 30mph.

That was downright dangerous. I didn't expect that type of closing speed at the end of the straight, and was afraid I would be black flagged as I was working the brakes to slow from ~125 down to 50 to keep from blowing by her heading into turn 1.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:37 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I agree with the above post with the white Evo. I was instructing a student and we followed a train of cars passing her on the back straight. We later found out that they considered our pass a late pass? Knowing who the driver and the instructor are I'm dumb founded this was allowed to happen all weekend. Think car entering freeway at 20mph.

Other than that, great job nasatx. That dinner was great with shiner on tap.

NASA TX TTC #361

I LOVE MY S2000

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:12 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

sixace wrote:
... this was the first session on Sat. http://vimeo.com/23170462

... and this driving would have been swiftly dealt with, first w/passing flags, then black flags to the driver for some coaching about mirrors/pointby.

Anyhoo, not hatin, just suggesting that perhaps the cornerworkers could be advised to watch for this in the future and take actions as required...

I feel your pain, but it's hard to blame the organization for this behavior during the session. If they took no action after the session was over, then complain away! Their most effective chance at action comes after the session (as they did in this case). Yes, the corner workers can and should try using the appropriate flags, but if the driver wasn't paying attention to his/her mirrors, what are the chances they would be paying attention to any flags?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:39 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks to all our new TX friends for making us feel welcome! Mark (GTS4, E46M3) and I both had a great time. We'll be back, but not until the weather cools off.

Hope some of you can make it up to CO this summer. MUCH nice weather in July and August!!

Joe
TTS Porsche GT3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:37 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

bpanther wrote:
BTW, speaking of help - help me find an arrive and drive SSM to rent for Hallett.
Can we get another SM standing start at Hallett? Not that Ken and I will be there to enjoy it *grumble, grumble*

Anyway, this was SUCH a fun weekend; I had a great time!!! And I mean, I'm pretty biased but I think TT'ers are the best <3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Standing starts for SM? Not with my drivetrain...........

SSM #16_________________PTC #16

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:36 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I agree....Great Weekend!

I also think a 1:47 is pretty stinkin' fast around TWS and for Joe and Troy to be 0.1 (or was it 0.2?) apart.... good stuff!

Texas TTA #253

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next