nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:21 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

2bars wrote:
+1 on yakisoba's thoughts.

and what's the point of waiting till 10am to decide? is it to see who's in the class? or to run the first session and see what class you'll be faster in?

that's the main idea. I am trying to open things up so they can do the first one but not open it up so wide that people can't screw the system and abuse it for the second one.

Glenn wrote:
As always, I'll give my thoughts here.
With the AI CMC group, you are required to verify your class prior to qual. If you swap class's after that, your at the rear of the field. Since in TT, laps count from the first session to the last each day, this makes it somewhat more difficult to correct before you start making laps towards your class. I say you should require all driver to remain in the class they are listed in once they take the track for session #2. setting a Time of day does not seem like the best option. What happens when 10am comes and goes while on track? Also, I would allow for corrections of mis-classification up to that point (session #2), but I would prohibit "cherry picking" and having folks run multiple class's just to points chase in as many class's as possible.

Just my thoughts. Worth what you paid for them.

NASA TX AI/CMC Regional Series Director

Appreciate it Glenn :) I think the bigger thing is people chasing tire contingencies, not so much points. Its not like you get extra points for first if there are 7 people in your class vs 3. But you do get an extra tire from Hoosier that way...

One upside of the set time of day is I can tell registration "After ___ time all TT class changes come from me only". It does have that downside of "what if we're on track then..."

Glad to have input here, I'm just here to implement and look over what's best and most fun for everyone in the end...

Ken Brewer - 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I'm not sure that anyone chasing points is going to jump groups...so it seems to be about chasing tire contingencies. I think the class sizes can be determined and class choice can be declared at the driver's meeting. If someone wants to pay the $100 supersize fee to run two classes....I don't care, but I think the results from each class should stand for the day.

Otherwise, here is the scenario.. after I see results from the morning sessions, I feel that I will place 4th or 5th of 7 cars in TTA, but I'm faster than the 2 cars in TTS or TTB that day. I can drop from TTA, which takes the class from 7 to 6, and takes TTS or TTB to 3. All I have done is take a tire contingency award away from each 1st place and 3rd place in TTA so that I win one tire. I'm sure Hoosier wouldn't mind awarding 1 less tire, but kind of unfair to your fellow tire prize chasing drivers.

Brad B
C5 Corvette
#13 TTA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I guess the feeling is that the rug was yanked out from under foot. That was not the intent. As this is my first year with NASA and TT I don't want to cause any problems. I am really enjoying NASA and the group of talented TT drivers.

We do this for fun. The contingencies help offset the costs. Sorry if this is harsh but I need to look at my own wallet. I don't see how this is unfair to other drivers. I apologize if this caused any problems. Would it better to know upfront what the "prizes" will be for the day? Would you not drive or drive slower if you had less in your class?

I run up a class to TTA to try and make the class bigger and allow more awards for all. However if I or other drivers are out of the running for tires and could move back to their lower class to have a better chance at awards why not?

I was under the impression that I could try to run up a class and could reclass to be more competitive. As class changing was not an issue at MSR Houston when I moved up to TTA creating an additional position with a tire awarded, or at TWS when I moved back to TTB. I thought it would be ok to move at Hallett.

The question is when do we move if we can move.
I am ok if the way we run it is to:
a) Declare the class at the drivers meeting - This will limit creating a +7 class as why take the risk at not winning?
b) After the first session; allowing times to carry over - This would make me want to give it a shot; or not carry over and not give it a shot.
c) Declare class at registration and not be allowed to change unless switching cars - This would make one run in the best class with a chance at an award even if smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 am 
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister

it really hasn't been THAT big of a problem, but, I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it gets any farther and T&S cuts off my head next time I'm up in the tower :lol: :x

What I want - people to have a chance to have fun competing, maybe win something
What I don't want - people all over my case, or my competitiors cases, for whatever reasons as THAT is not fun. I also don't like to hear complaints but only because that means I'm not doing my job well.

Hallett seems to be a bit of a unique beast due to the slightly lower car count (even though we had 100% more people on Sat and 75% more people on Sun over last year's event) which made what would've been an unnoticed move a bigger deal than it otherwise would've been. I don't forsee moves like that being a problem at other tracks and that's not the goal of the cutoff time idea. We do have to be nicer to the rest of the volunteers that support us though, and THAT's the main goal of this cut-off time for changes.

I'm open to other ideas...??!?

Ken Brewer - 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:34 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

I'm not sure which TT Rules you guys are reading, but the rules requiring the drivers to declare which class they are competing in before the start of competition seems fairly clear to me. The rules that do not allow a driver to switch classes during the day also seem clear. For those regions that have the first session of the weekend as a practice session (highly recommended for all events in NASA--both races and TT), the "deadline" to declare ones class is therefore prior to the second session. If you start competition during the first session, then you should address any class switching issues in the morning meeting before going on track.

In our region, we have our drivers verbally declare their class to everyone in the group as we take role in the morning meeting. It is not fair for a competitor to find out after they have developed their "strategy" for the day (regarding tire use, time on track, time to push it, etc), that someone new has either just jumped into their class, or that they have just lost the number required for contingency prizes, or lost their primary competition after they just used new tires in the prior session, etc. etc. etc.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to lock this thread down after my last post. If you have any questions about these or any other rules, please feel free to e-mail me or Shawn Meze. Thanks.

greg@nasa-tt.com

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2