nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:57 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

What corner stations will be man'd?

How do we get into the track? Is there a specific tunnel entrance? Will this be the same for spectators?

Is there a fee for spectators?

Is there designated parking areas (racecars/support vehicles, spectators, open trailers) or is it a free for all?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

What about showers?

Texas CMC #24

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:38 am 
NASA Official
NASA Official

First lap out first session of the day will be full course yellow for drivers to see which stations are manned.

Lot A is open for spectators for free. Main grandstands, turn 1, paddock, bridges, and 2nd floor terrace suite are all open for free to spectators.

There are showers in the building driver info is in.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

willf wrote:
First lap out first session of the day will be full course yellow for drivers to see which stations are manned.

Is that because you don't know yet or it's the simply the drivers responsibility to remember them in one lap?

I'm sure I'm not alone in that this is my first time to run at COTA. One 'lessons learned' I read was about the difficulty of knowing where corner stations were. It's not like any other track we run on where you can EASILY see the corner 'shack' and if there's people in it even after the first full course yellow lap. COTA is lined with walls and catch fencing. To put a SAFETY issue all on ONE lap where so much more is going on seems odd and well, unsafe.

Quote:
For me the flag stations were hard to discern, far away from the track, and the long laps made it easy to forget the local yellow from the lap before!

Quote:
Some of flag stations were tough to see until you were right on them.

Quote:
No doubt, hardest to see of anywhere I have been. You really had to make a conscious effort to look for them.

Quote:
Visibility of the flag stations is about my only issue with COTA. Most facilities I have attended, you can easily spot flag stations in your peripheral vision as they are generally a small shelter in an otherwise barren landscape. At COTA, the flag stations are small holes in the walls that are surrounding you. This lack of contrast means you have to more consciously look for them or have an intimate knowledge of where they are ahead of time. Since there is no practice for us amateurs, we don't have the track time, short of the actual race, to determine all the flag locations.

I think a couple of things that could really improve flag station awareness are:

1) A simple track map with the location of all the flag stations would go a long way in allowing us to learn where those stations are outside of a race environment. Currently, I feel like a learn of a new flag station each time I get out on track.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Found this on the internet.
Going out on Double Yellow most workers will wave at the cars, if you see them wave back.

1- top of the hill on the right. Right at the left turn arrow hanging on the fence
1a- on the right after the apex. When you are at the after glance right to see this station.
2- on left bottom of hill towards front straight. THIS CORNER TAKES EFFORT TO SEE. Glance at it as you are unwinding from turn 1 track out
3- as you track out bottom hill look to the left right before the bridge
4- on right under bridge
6- on left. When you turn in for 3 it is straight ahead in distance. Way out there but easy to see.
8- on right after esses. You have to look thru the fencing to see it. Takes effort to see this one
9- on left, look for it after turning into 8
11- on right at turn in for 11
11B- on left before first hill. BLACK FLAG STATION.
11D- on left before braking zone for 12
12- on right at turn in to 12. There is a left turn arrow hanging on the fence
12A- in between 12 and 13 to the right look for the tower on the right. Usually not maned.
13- on left. Takes effort to see
14- on left. Should be in your field of vision apex of 13
16- on left near bridge
17- on left across from the tower. Should be in field of vision after turn in for first apex
18A- on left. Look for paddock building. It is out there. Easy to miss.
19- on right at apex of 19
20- on right at apex of 20
start/finish- on left.

330ci BMW
NASA Texas Region

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:24 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

That's a good find.

I found this vid that has a few out laps (WRL). Who knows if we'll have the same stations manned.

https://youtu.be/bZrJ1Fr3luM

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:18 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

It can be very difficult to see them at COTA because many are completely hidden behind the fence until a flag pops out of a hole. The easy ones are easy, so I won't list those. Difficult ones are in the esses all the way through to the easy one at 6. There is so much side runoff that they are way off the track with no obvious stand. They are all marked on the fence though. There will be a little sign that says 3A or 4 or 4B, etc. You really have to work to see them in the esses. As you crest 9, there is one that people sometimes miss as they get tunnel vision worrying about 10. At turn in for 16, look straight ahead instead of looking into the carousel. There is one dead ahead but it is pretty far away so people miss it, but it'll save your butt is there is a mess just before 19.

#920 TT2 GT3

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:20 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Alien wrote:
That's a good find.

I found this vid that has a few out laps (WRL). Who knows if we'll have the same stations manned.

https://youtu.be/bZrJ1Fr3luM

The standard ones are almost always the same. As I say that though, the last time I was there, there was nobody at the end of the back straight T12. Instead, there was a worker hidden on the left of the back straight halfway down the straight or so. That caught me by surprise.

#920 TT2 GT3