nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amarillo nooby
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hey guys I'm Dustin. I'm looking to get into road racing. I've been drag racing for most of my life and I'm looking for something different. Being from Amarillo im quite a ways drive from pretty much every track. Hallet is 5 hours Cota is 9 etc. I'm willing to drive for a race but I'm wondering is NASA is for me or if there's another route I should go.

I'm leaning towards a race only CRX for the Honda challenge series. Or since I have never made a lap on a track like this should I start with a street car that I take to track days.

Thanks in advance guys.

Post subject: Re: Amarillo nooby
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:37 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Bring a street car or rent a street car and come to TWS in October to find out if it might be for you and talk to racers. Find a race class that fits within your budget and has healthy competition. Also look at the other regions to see how far tracks are from you. I think there is a track in New Mexico and there are several races in Colorado that might not be too far. Hallett is 5 hours plus for most everybody anyway and one of the best race weekends you can find.

Texas CMC #24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:14 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hey thanks Bryan. I will try to do that. I've also started looking into the 944 spec class. It looks like I could get started with a "street" car in that class. Maybe try a few track days first then start mixing it up in a crowd? I've only ever raced a straight line so wheel to wheel is all new to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:58 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Good luck. You will likely get better info. if you go directly to a groups forum or introduce yourself to racers at the track. For some reason this board provides very little help to people looking for guidance which is really sad since this is likely the first point of contact for a noob.
You have mentioned some Honda series and Spec 944 which I'm not aware of really having any participation in Texas. If you want to look at results and class participation the link is below. Obviously Spec Miata is going to be the biggest class and cars are affordable unless you want to run up front which will require more cubic dollars. CMC (which I race in) has solid participation, cars are affordable with decent limits to spending. Then you have Blitz with all kinds of different cars.

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/

Texas CMC #24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

What is CMC? And you are right. The forums are pretty silent. I like your idea of going to a track that I would frequent and see what looks good for me. I've always build purpose built race cars but to get started I think you right in starting with a street car, doing some track days and meeting some guys and going from there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:31 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Camaro Mustang Challenge. Got it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:10 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

lookup the blitz group you have super unlimited,st1,st2,st3,st4. normally avg. of 30 cars on the track at the same time but scored in their class. there are three group of racing 1- DE this is where you bring a street car to the track nasa texas will assign a instructor to you for the sat and Sunday. you learn the rules of driving in road race events. there are 4 cat.
de1- first time on the road course with instructor a must
de2- little bet more advanced with instructor a must
de3 more advanced instructor optional
de4 more advanced instructor optional

if you want to race wheel to wheel you must complete the de3 or de4 with no incident in order to be approved by chief instructor to advance to competition school. in order to complete the comp school you must have a race car that has passed all safety tech. once you complete the comp school you will get a orange plate on the back on your car for three races. nasa is a great organization, very family oriented and friendly organization. you can see lots of great video's on you tube under nasa texas racing. I race a car called thunder roadster in blitz group in st2. you can see few of the races under Firouz haghighi. feel free to email me firouzhaase@aol.com if you have any question.
I hope this info helps
take care
firouz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Great info thanks you so much. I'll look into that and report back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Just to add a bit to what they already said. Look at classes that have a field of people to really run with regionally, Honda Challenge has no one. ST4 and ST5 should start to pick up next year as well as PTE. If you want a big field to play with Spec Miata will always be a good choice down the road too once you get through DE and get your Comp School out of the way.