nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

http://racechaseronline.com/2014/12/jer ... ment-2015/

Does this law affect NASA participants at NJMP?

If so, a lot of people are going to be needing to buy new equipment especially for HPDE/TT.

I'm trying to choose a new helmet and harness combo for my car (finally upgrading from OEM seats/belts) and need to know whether I need SFI 38.1 compliant equipment to run with NASA NE.

#9 TT3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:48 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

All wording I've seen is that it's required for Racing only, we've been requiring them there for a while now. HPDE is not requiring them, as it's not "Racing". I think the only road racing influenced by this is Chump/Lemons racing that somehow didn't already require it.

TT however, I'm not sure how it's actually counted. That said, maybe shoot an email out to Namer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Don't the NJ state laws trump the NASA HPDE/TT rules though? I was under the impression that is why SA-rated helmets are required at NJMP but not at any other track (which is why I need to buy a new helmet this year instead of waiting until 2015 Snell stuff is out).

I could also see the state calling TT "racing" so the whole thing does not feel promising to me. I'd be happy to hear otherwise though.

#9 TT3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Yes, state laws trump all.

Personally, I expect the state to issue a waiver for SA2010 or newer helmets until the 2015's are out. Some sales people seem to be trying hard to take full advantage of this and the snell delayed-release info. I'll wait until I hear official word that my SA2005 isn't good. I already got suckered into buying my sa2005 a few months before the 2010 helmets came out, I don't want to do that again. I know it's a good idea to replace a helmet after 5 years of wear/tear/and sweat anyway... but it would be nice to at least keep my old helmet as a still-legal backup.

Again though, HPDE is not racing... "High Performance Drivers Education"... so rules worded directly to racing do not necessarily apply to HPDE.

The non wheel-to-wheel nature of TT, lack of cage requirements, and the very strict 4-off and wild driving rules are a good argument to keep it counted as non-racing.

That said, I'm not a nasa official when it comes to this policy stuff.... so I'm not speaking officially for NASA.. just thought I would chime in to help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I just read through the proposal and response documents on this subject (I'm not a lawyer), and it looks like HANS is strongly recommended for vehicles with the appropriate complementary safety equipment, but not required.

Also, open-face helmets will now be allowed in HPDE if the vehicle still has airbags, but M rated helmets are no longer valid. Snell 2010 is required, despite NJSP responding that they agree with comments on the original proposal to relax the rules. It says that another amendment will need to be written, but there are no other proposals posted yet.

All that said, it looks like these rules are still in the proposal phase. I'm not sure when that is expected to change, or if they plan to write an amendment to relax the helmet dating (and M rating) rules before these rules go into effect.

2007 Subaru STi #927
2000 Subaru Legacy