nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2013 Race Season Tech
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Ok, boys and girls, we have 4 weeks until the race season opener at NJMP!!
I am letting everyone know now that I will not be there for Tech duties( not my fault totally, the damage was done 9 months ago....). So Greg S. will be there left alone to deal with the mass of racers with new builds for logbooks or annuals with multitudes of issues left from last season that were never addressed.
In order to alleviate mass confusion and frustration, I highly suggest having a Pre-season Tech day at an approved Tech center BEFORE the season opener!! This could be held anywhere from MY shop in South River, to Stable Energies in Garfield to EFI Logics in CT over the next few weekends. Where ever it seems would be most central to the majority of racers. So let's be proactive and get as many done before the event so issues can be addressed/corrected without the drama and stress created by dealing with problems the morning of the first race or Comp School.
As we started last season, we will be issuing Temporary Tech stickers( only valid for that particular event) to vehicles with issues to be corrected by the next event. You will then have to then make the corrections and seek us out to be signed off. However, if you were noted for the same issue last season and never addressed them( fuel cells, battery boxes,cut off switches,etc...), you will not run at all.....you have been warned!!!
So let's get this season off to a good start and see a show of hands as to how many we can expect to see and where and when you feel would be the most convenient place to hold a Pre-season Tech day . I thinkl we need to see a list of drivers in advance in order to feel comfortable with committing to a day/venue.

Thank You,
Dave Deerson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

I love it when you take control!

NASA NE #27 ST2
NASA NE PT/ST/SU Director

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Dave,

For those racers who get their Annual Tech Inspections done before they arrive at the track, might there be a way to "fast-track" their Tech Inspections at the track to save time and to ensure there is time to Tech those cars who are having their first Annual Tech done at the track?

For example, every year I have my car's Annual Tech Inspection done by Turner Motorsports. And I know others have their inspection done by other NASA-approved Centers. These inspections of course follow the NASA Tech form to the letter and are certainly a very complete inspection of the car AND safety equipment. Yet, I've still been required to have my car Tech'd at my first NASA event even though I had a signed original NASA Tech Form from Turner Motorsports. And although I think the Pre-Season Tech days would be a help, the nearest NASA-approved shop mentioned in your message below (besides Turner) is 3 hours away from me.

To alleviate the crush of cars at the NASA Tech inspection (especially for the first event of the season), might there be a way to "Fast-track" tech those cars that have already had a complete Tech Inspection done by an NASA Approved Tech Center? The requirement could be as easy as presenting the log book, the original and signed Tech Form from the NASA approved race-shop, and inspection of the racer's helmet and Hans. Once this is done, the Annual Tech. Inspection sticker could be issued to the racer. Total time - probably 3 minutes, if that.

Certainly, safety is paramount in all of this, and I absolutely agree with the need for NASA to know that the race cars participating in its events are safe to operate. However, I feel that arriving at the track with a fully Tech'd car from one of NASA's Approved Tech Centers should be sufficient and not require a second inspection at the track.

Comments?

Thanks

Wayne

87 BMW 325is
GTS 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Wayne,
Racers such as yourself are not the issue that I am trying to avoid. When you have your preseason tech done at an approved tech center( such as Turner) they can take care of everything but just cannot issue a official Tech sticker, so, yes,you would be in and out in nothing flat. Whom I am trying to reach are the racers with newly build cars or newbies coning for Comp School or cars with left over issues unresolved from last season. Those are the guys that I am trying to take care of so Greg isn't overwhelmed that first weekend.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks Dave,

So I hate to ask again, but do I still need to bring my car to Tech at the track or just my paperwork and helmet?

Thanks

Wayne

87 BMW 325is
GTS 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Just take your logbook,helmet,and the two Tech forms( one signed by the Approved Tech shop which we keep in our records, and the other that gets signed by us and then stapled into your logbook), and you will be issued the Tech Sticker.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:45 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Thanks Dave! See you in NJ. . . If my car is ready!

87 BMW 325is
GTS 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:39 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

You won't be seeing me for the first few events,more than likely!!
I'll maybe see you in May!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:11 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Will there be any schedule of times when tech and annual inspections will be done for the weekend at NJMP? Will group leaders be available to issue annual inspections for race cars?

Thanks

Peter Thibault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

PThibault wrote:
Will there be any schedule of times when tech and annual inspections will be done for the weekend at NJMP? Will group leaders be available to issue annual inspections for race cars?

Thanks

Peter Thibault

Tech officials for the weekend are the only ones that can issue stickers. We will be doing tech most of the weekend considering it is the first weekend, if you see me there just stop on by and it will get it done.

Brian #37 ITR HC2
#17 SU Datsun
NE Competition Director
Comp School Instructor