nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Oil Change Frequency
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Appreciate the feedback. I figured I was going overboard changing the oil each time. I'll go through Summit this month and change afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

millertm wrote:
Appreciate the feedback. I figured I was going overboard changing the oil each time. I'll go through Summit this month and change afterwards.

No you're not changing it too much. 2.0 Turbo motors run extremely high oil temperatures. Many that have given you advice, which may be ideal for their NA motors with large oil capacity, aren't ideal for a high power turbo application holding only about 4 quarts. Keep in mind the oil is also used for the turbocharger and we were seeing oil temps in the 265F range.

If I were you I would change the oil prior to your event so you track the engine on fresh synthetic motor oil. I wouldn't sweat it if you have under 1000 easy miles on your oil before going to the track but don't go towards the end of the oil change cycle. You can then continue your daily commute on the same oil (if a high quality synthetic). I've did this for a few season and for some of my less aggressive track cars. I think you're also going to find (at least on our Subarus) you'll loose almost 2 quarts of oil throughout the weekend which typically gets blown out the crankcase breathers (lower power and slower car less of course) so the oil will get freshened up. You can always also toss in some additive from Redline, Amsoil, BG, or Lucas to boost up the oil again after the track event.

Now that I run a dry sump and have 8 quarts of oil capacity I go two races on Redline 50w race oil instead of changing every race but this is purely a race car. I change frequently due to the high oil temps we see.

I will tell you a non-synthetic is not really good enough on these turbo cars. On engine tear downs when I used conventional oil it was clearly coking on the underside of the pistons, in the head casting, where we don't see this with synthetics.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Mystic_Cobra wrote:
My car is an American Iron racecar (4.6L V8) and is ONLY driven at track events. I change the oil after every 2-3 events. I use blackstone labs to test my oil and plan to adjust the frequency based on wear and feedback.

I frequently see water temps over 230 and oil temps between 290 and 300. Yeah, I know that's too hot, I'm working on fixing that. :)

Holly smoking oil Batman! LOL! I'm sure it has a lot to do with your high coolant temps. We struggled with this also for a few seasons until we figured out the right radiator for the job. I'm sure my oil temps have come down since I've got the coolant temps under control.

Why do you think you're so high on the coolant and oil temps are you making big power? We were seeing similar issues at 125HP a cylinder so that would be like a 1000 HP V8 :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:27 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

1. Phil is right, I'm running almost 10 quarts and that's with just the factory water-to-oil cooler, no aftermarket oil cooler OR accusump yet.

2. See 1. Actually, my tune was a bit lean and that has been resolved. I've yet to race in warm weather (with the new engine/tune) to see what kind of temps I'll see. My March '12 temps (new engine) were consistent with my March '11 temps (old engine).

:)

AI #16 Mustang Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:21 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

David, clearly not working that car hard enough

i see 220 to 230 water temps and have seen 240 or higher oil temps in the summer event
lightningd wrote:
crap that is smokin! i usually don't see over 180 water temp.