nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: VIR track rooms
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:42 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I personally haven't encountered this so I'm seeking the guys that have done this in the past to please shed some light;

I called to book a room at VIR for the upcoming March weekend (23-25th) but I was told that I have to book from Thursday evening, I will drive down on Friday but as a newbie on hpde I have no business being there that early, Friday events are not for my level. I explained this to the lady but she told me that that is the policy. No reason to believe that that is not correct, but will the venue relax this policy in order for people to stay only for the time they need?

Ricardo

Post subject: Re: VIR track rooms
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

For some events I've been told that Friday is part of a minimum reservation, and I've had other events where I was able to reserve only Saturday night.

I've never heard of Thursday being required. I have two reservations already for 2018 and neither included Thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:07 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

It’s their standard process for NASA weekends. Sometimes you can get away with shorter if you book closer to the event. But the reality that they understand is that for NASA weekends they always sell out. So they have no motivation to accept the shorter reservations this early.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

You can get a hotel in Danville, the Sleep Inn by the airport is decent and a lot of VIR people book there.
Just keep in mind its a good 20 min away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:56 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I use the Days Inn in yancyville nc. As close as Danville, but cheaper. Not 5 star accommodations, but clean and they have a couple of fast food joints for Breakfast.

05 GTS2 99 M3
05 PTE - Honda Accord LX - SOLD
SFT(Spec Flat Tow) Ford SD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

daytonars4 wrote:
It’s their standard process for NASA weekends. Sometimes you can get away with shorter if you book closer to the event. But the reality that they understand is that for NASA weekends they always sell out. So they have no motivation to accept the shorter reservations this early.

This. Call the Sleep Inn or Best Western by Danville airport if you want other options, both are clean/quiet/fine and 15min from the track.

Also, there's no reason the OP can't stay at VIR then come early and relax, check things out, talk to officials/drivers & maybe go for rides on Friday, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

getfast wrote:
daytonars4 wrote:

This. Call the Sleep Inn or Best Western by Danville airport if you want other options, both are clean/quiet/fine and 15min from the track.

Also, there's no reason the OP can't stay at VIR then come early and relax, check things out, talk to officials/drivers & maybe go for rides on Friday, etc.

This is what I had in mind. New to NASA and car tracking, last time at VIR NESBA was still around, so wanted to get reacquainted to the smells, sounds, meet new people, etc. I guess off vir accomodations it is, sucks that after tracking the car, I have to drive it back to the hotel. I'll call tomorrow to see if they have changed their posture. I hope so otherwise this could be a very short stint with the NASA crew.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

So if one of the nicest tracks on the east coast does not change their posture, your done with NASA? LMAO - it's this kind of attitude we do not need at NASA events.

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I agree with the venue being one of the nicest tracks available everywhere, but one appealing reason to join NASA is/was the complete experience that the price of admission would include or bring to the table. The quality of people and machinery speaks for itself. Do not assume that because of something like this that I would quit going to VIR, you know what's said of assumptions. But if I have to seek accommodations elsewhere, which is not beneath me as I've done that to almost every track I've been to; then I could very well go with brand x organizer(s) and run the track for less. Yes, they might offer "less" but at this level, on track time is just a chance to enjoy my car without the distractions and dangers of every day traffic.
I chose NASA for the reputation of quality drivers coming through the ranks, the shop working on my car participates fully on all things NASA. I am very much looking forward to my first event with NASA this coming March, but must admit, openly now, that I thought the organization would have more control over little things like this. Obviously I do not know the inner workings yet, just voicing my initial expectations however unrealistic they might be. Your LMAO attitude is what draw newbies away from the sport. Not me, seen your kind countless times. Don't worry, an expert driver person such as yourself shouldn't feel threatened by a newbster like me.

Ricardo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:55 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

The reality is the tracks fill up with numerous organizations who "compete" for track weekends and don't really cater to any one group. It's likely VIR places that rule into effect for EVERY weekend knowing they don't have to be flexible. Hell, VIR charges a camping fee, electric use fee, and a daily fee if you bring your own golf cart/pit bike to use in the paddock!

If I recall correctly, they don't require Thursday night.....they require 3 nights. You can always reserve the room for Sunday night and have access to that room all day instead of checking out at 11AM. Or stay Sunday evening and enjoy a quiet dinner after everyone leaves.