nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

How should I store my car (that has no windows) in Key West?
Outside under a nice cover 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In a storage unit 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
In an enclosed trailer 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:56 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I just purchased my first very own race car. Up to this point I have been doing arrive & drive. I live in the Florida Keys, Key West specifically. Storage down here is expensive, $300 a month for a 10x20 (not climate controlled). I don't have a garage on my property either. As I'm sure you guys know it's extremely humid down here, and we're about to go into rainy season. Also I live on a saltwater canal that runs parallel to my driveway.

The problem I'm facing is that the car doesn't have any windows in the driver/passenger doors, and I'm worried about the humidity and salt air ruining what's inside the car. I'm concerned about the motec dash and it's connections corroding, the fire suppression system and it's electronics, the radio, and about the seat just getting moldy and rotten.

Right now I've got an open aluminum trailer. The aluminum trailer fits nicely in my driveway. But it's small and I'd need to add some tool boxes and a tire rack to it. The biggest advantage to the trailer I've got now is that I know I can tow it and the car behind my motorhome, which is a huge plus. A friend recommended that I just get a really nice car cover and store the car outside on the trailer I have.

Instead of storing the car outside on the open trailer I have, I could trade my trailer (plus some cash) for an enclosed trailer and store the car inside the enclosed trailer. If I were to trade my trailer for an enclosed trailer I'd have much more room for spares and tools, etc. But it would be too heavy to tow behind my motorhome (because I can only afford a steal enclosed trailer). And it'd take up most of my driveway. And it's gonna cost more money, that after buying the car I'm short on, and could be better used getting to races and on tires, fuel, spares, replacements, support, etc.

Long story short does anyone store their car outside in a similar situation, with nothing but a cover and the electronics and what not inside the car exposed to elements in our harsh environment? Would you recommend against it, or do you think it's fine? How do you store your car? Should I get the car out of the elements and inside an enclosed trailer or storage unit?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:50 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Well, you already know the answer to your question. Once you take the leap on racing the supporting infrastructure must follow. In short yes, the salt air alone will corrode anything it can even if you have it "under a cover" so an enclosed is an option but a mobile one thats easy to steal, and your car along with it. What you may need to start considering is how to get a garage on your property even if it's only a shed, because you'll only pray for one once you start working on it. Sounds like you have some priorities to sort lol.

#463 TT3/TT2/ST2/ST3/WTH/BBQ Evo IX