nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Wheaton IL
Bigger brakes will not make the lap times lower for most modern cars. If you can do a full lap while braking at the limits of the tire's grip your brakes are doing all they can to slow the car.

_________________
95 Mustang


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:09 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
I'm not expecting greatly reduced lap times with a BBK on my 92 Corvette.
However I am looking forward to the front pads lasting longer and not having to pray the rebuilt calipers from Autozone are the correct size and have no taper.

I'm ok with it being 2 pts, or free.
I already have 18" rims.

_________________
NASA-SE Instructor, TT
1992 Corvette 383 - TTA
2012 season 383 going in March


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
Super Postmeister
Super Postmeister
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:28 pm
Posts: 12457
Location: Houston, TX
needs to be a points mod - too many freebies already

_________________
Ken Brewer - 1994 Toyota MR2 #6 TTF, PTF, E3
One of the regular ol' NASA-TX Time Trial Directors


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
Postmeister General
Postmeister General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 pm
Posts: 2546
Location: Virginia Beach
Varkwso wrote:
Not counting bigger wheels Stoptechs or hardbar brakes are about $3000.

Maybe for all four... Gary's T1 kit is about 1/2 that for the fronts.

_________________
2001 Quicksilver Z06 #4 - TT2/ST2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm 
Offline
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 496
I think it's crazy how definitively people say their lap times won't improve with a better brake kit. I know that E36 brakes are good, so are some of other cars, but there are aftermarket true racing kits that will do wonders to your car. Even on something like my old GT3 that had amazing brakes - moving to a true racing Brembo setup made it even better. I think most try a 2K Wilwood setup and base their judgement on that, which isn't accurate. Now, hopefully people won't be dropping 5-7K on brakes for TT!

As far as lock up - a bad pad with too much initial bite can cause that. Does that mean you're stopping as quickly as you can? I don't think so. If you have the right brake setup and pad compound you can stop faster since it works together much better.

_________________
Alex
GTS4 #312


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:03 pm 
Offline
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Posts: 2374
Cobra4B wrote:
Varkwso wrote:
Not counting bigger wheels Stoptechs or hardbar brakes are about $3000.

Maybe for all four... Gary's T1 kit is about 1/2 that for the fronts.


It's $2600 no pads or lines


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm 
Offline
Postmeister General
Postmeister General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 pm
Posts: 2546
Location: Virginia Beach
10-4... that's with rotors then. There are cheaper 2-piece rotors options like the DBAs I run.

_________________
2001 Quicksilver Z06 #4 - TT2/ST2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:59 am 
Offline
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 pm
Posts: 4969
UKRBMW wrote:
I think it's crazy how definitively people say their lap times won't improve with a better brake kit. I know that E36 brakes are good, so are some of other cars, but there are aftermarket true racing kits that will do wonders to your car. Even on something like my old GT3 that had amazing brakes - moving to a true racing Brembo setup made it even better. I think most try a 2K Wilwood setup and base their judgement on that, which isn't accurate. Now, hopefully people won't be dropping 5-7K on brakes for TT!

As far as lock up - a bad pad with too much initial bite can cause that. Does that mean you're stopping as quickly as you can? I don't think so. If you have the right brake setup and pad compound you can stop faster since it works together much better.


I tend to agree with you. Probably makes you nervous. A lot about a fast lap is confidence. A dailed in good quality brake system is faster, mechanically. It is even better psychologically.

_________________
NASA-SE Time Trial Director, Instructor
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:42 am 
Offline
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Wheaton IL
So what about people that are confident in stock brakes? I have hundreds of laps of traqmate data on stock brakes. I would go through a set of front pads in a weekend or less. So I upgraded to larger calipers, rotors and bias adjuster. They felt much better, and pads last over multiple events. Overlaying data showed no measurable change in braking time. Many cars will benefit more from the ability to adjust brake bias than bigger brakes. Street cars tend to have more front bias than is optimum for racing. A big reason is that street cars need to stop in the rain. lots of front bias is very confidence inspiring, (Think big front brakes and stock rears, with no bias adjustment.) because the car will wag-ass less, but that can make stopping distances longer.

_________________
95 Mustang


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Brake calipers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:18 am 
Offline
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 pm
Posts: 4969
Trevor57 wrote:
So what about people that are confident in stock brakes? I have hundreds of laps of traqmate data on stock brakes. I would go through a set of front pads in a weekend or less. So I upgraded to larger calipers, rotors and bias adjuster. They felt much better, and pads last over multiple events. Overlaying data showed no measurable change in braking time. Many cars will benefit more from the ability to adjust brake bias than bigger brakes. Street cars tend to have more front bias than is optimum for racing. A big reason is that street cars need to stop in the rain. lots of front bias is very confidence inspiring, (Think big front brakes and stock rears, with no bias adjustment.) because the car will wag-ass less, but that can make stopping distances longer.


My 88 CMC Mustang has the legal, by old rule upgrades, to its brakes. Other then locking the right front pretty often they do fine. Since I did not use brakes at T5 at Road Atlanta brakes were not its problem.

Under current CMC rules I see a lot of more brake upgrades. The tire also decides how good your brake performs. Running R888 are a lot different then the evil A6. On cars like the Miata and our 83 Supra brakes last a season (or two) and are not the limiting factor on a lap.

_________________
NASA-SE Time Trial Director, Instructor
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arca_ex, Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group