nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:04 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

B Esquire wrote:
Lots of talk on here about people gaming a 6 point system. I wish we could all easily just go back to cable throttles and this would be a lot easier :).

To avoid people artificially lowering the bottom 1 or 2 points on a 6 point system, we simply write a rule that makes those points invalid if they deviate over a certain amount from the next higher point. The Honda's running in the class probably have the steepest natural curve? So we look at some data to make sure cars like this are not throwing out points, and we are good?

If you are worried about artificially lowering points, then you are taking too large of a sample.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Dover wrote:
As for tech... Drivers stack your tires, measure the total height and divide by 4, report the average width, and set your min weight by tire. If someone questions or protests, do it again in impound. No, it's not as quick and easy as going by the misleading designation on the sidewall, but it is faster and easier than loading a car on the dyno for compliance pulls. Just an idea...

Have you done that with the SAME tire on different width wheels? They will not measure the same even though the contact patch remains the same. I like your idea, but it would be arguable in reality.

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 EC Champ, 2017 TT3 EC Champ
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:44 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Hi Folks,

We are working on both the Avg HP formula and the potential loopholes that changes could unintentionally bring (the biggest being someone adding a few data points lower in the rpm range that are not used on track and only used to lower the Avg HP number), and we are working on the tire size issue that is prevalent from the 205 to 255 size range. We think we have a solution for the tire issue, and we are researching how our proposed changes will work out in reality at the track.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:12 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
we are working on the tire size issue that is prevalent from the 205 to 255 size range. We think we have a solution for the tire issue, and we are researching how our proposed changes will work out in reality at the track.

interest level over 9000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

me too......

Matt@NCM wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
we are working on the tire size issue that is prevalent from the 205 to 255 size range. We think we have a solution for the tire issue, and we are researching how our proposed changes will work out in reality at the track.

interest level over 9000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:17 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg--any general update on intentions for rolling out ST5 in 2018? I had a few people ask me about this at our AZ event this weekend--there is some interest here but people aren't sure if it's going to happen or not.

#41 ST2 Mustang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:33 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

AZBOSS wrote:
Greg--any general update on intentions for rolling out ST5 in 2018? I had a few people ask me about this at our AZ event this weekend--there is some interest here but people aren't sure if it's going to happen or not.

As of right now, we are still planning on rolling it out! We made a lot of decisions this past weekend. We are still waiting on some research being conducted, but while that is getting finished, we are working out actual rules verbiage.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:44 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

please KIS....keep it simple.........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:38 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

B Esquire wrote:
.....But we saw ST3 go the way of expensive builds that limited field parity.

Just like we all said that it would.
It's competition though. You don't think that's going to happen in every class? Someone will always build to the rule set. Nothing wrong with that.
Some of the ST3 rules designed to keep costs down make no sense at all. I'd just love to see some rule stability.

#27 '99 FRC
TT3/TT2/ST3/ST2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I agree with Scott, someone will always be willing to spend more money and/or time. I think arbitrary things like brake size, wheels, isn't the way to go. I think tire size, weight limits (within reason) etc make the most sense. I know people want to be able to race a 4000lb car against a 2000lb car, but that's really not practical. Build the classes for the cars that more-or-less fit. I can make a 200hp corvette, but I can't make a 2000 lb corvette. Same the other way, I can make a 600hp miata, but it would be stupid to make a 3800lb miata.

Good luck with the tough choices.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next