nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Any thing you guys are seeing that should be corrected to foster close racing?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:25 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

esr wrote:

https://youtu.be/IQWE683KWNc

here is a video from a guy that early in the year claimed small cars would have a power disadvantage therefore they should be allowed as big a tire as possible.
Doesn't seem short of power here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:35 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Usually it takes more than one weekend of racing for people to propose rules against me :lol:

Rafael, I have to poke a little fun because the video doesn't show what you want it to show. The closest thing to an even pull you can see is at 4:00 down the front straight, and my Miata and Jon's E36 are dead nuts even the entire way. If anything, I should be gaining a little in the draft, but I'm not. It should be no surprise to anyone that a well-prepped ~2500lb Miata (comp weight 2473, I was scaling in the 2485-2495 range all weekend) and a well-prepped ~2700lb E36 should be fairly even on power. My car makes 215whp peak, 211.25whp average.

Nobody at that event had any issue at all with the car, or if they did, they did a damn good job of hiding it. It was nothing but a hugely welcoming and enjoyable group of racers. Hopefully I'll see you at Thunderhill in August. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Relaxed aero rules. A lot of aftermarket splitters extend 5".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:02 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

enivid wrote:

I agree. I'd even be fine with unrestricted aero as that would allow for a lot more crossover from other series, like GTS where most competitors have canards, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:23 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

esr wrote:
esr wrote:

https://youtu.be/IQWE683KWNc

here is a video from a guy that early in the year claimed small cars would have a power disadvantage therefore they should be allowed as big a tire as possible.
Doesn't seem short of power here.

On tracks with very long straights, cars with more power given the same power to weight ratio will pull away on the straights (i.e. what are limitations to top speed... power and aero). You can't fix that unless you just have spec classes with the exact same cars. For the most part, the power to weight ratio works well across varying tracks. Some cars will favor some tracks, and others will favor another. It most of the time balances out across a season (unless your group only runs 1 or 2 tracks for the entire season).

The downside is having the championships on a single track which means it's likely that one type of car will have some advantage over another even at the same power to weight ratio.

Honda S2000 #324
2016 TTB Central Region Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Bro,
this has nothing to do with you, whoever you are!
Is about cars.
I saw a video and call it as I see it.
I have a 350z, it doesn't have more torque than an s2k, I know because I raced Martin Tagliavi and we were pretty equal on the drag race.
Your car whoever you are has very clearly more torque than the s2k and than the e36, and still stays with the e36 down the straight pretty equally, now when we get to that corner you have 600 lbs less than my car to slow down, turn, and accelerate.
We are not hypothesizing anymore or going by your physics thesis anymore, these are now facts on video.

That is why I bring this up early in the year, because last time I spoke with the National Director I think in dec or jan, he told me sorry man this should have been brought up early on.

Will see, I don't make the rules, I am just giving my opinion based on how I see it.

Savington wrote:
Usually it takes more than one weekend of racing for people to propose rules against me :lol:

Rafael, I have to poke a little fun because the video doesn't show what you want it to show. The closest thing to an even pull you can see is at 4:00 down the front straight, and my Miata and Jon's E36 are dead nuts even the entire way. If anything, I should be gaining a little in the draft, but I'm not. It should be no surprise to anyone that a well-prepped ~2500lb Miata (comp weight 2473, I was scaling in the 2485-2495 range all weekend) and a well-prepped ~2700lb E36 should be fairly even on power. My car makes 215whp peak, 211.25whp average.

Nobody at that event had any issue at all with the car, or if they did, they did a damn good job of hiding it. It was nothing but a hugely welcoming and enjoyable group of racers. Hopefully I'll see you at Thunderhill in August. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

we don't need cross over, we need close racing!
Otherwise why not just do a track day?

ja1217 wrote:
enivid wrote:

I agree. I'd even be fine with unrestricted aero as that would allow for a lot more crossover from other series, like GTS where most competitors have canards, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

I disagree vehemently and I don't think the video supports your hypothesis in any way, shape, or form.

See you in August, hopefully. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:29 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

esr wrote:
we don't need cross over, we need close racing!
Otherwise why not just do a track day?

In order to have close racing you must have people to race against.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next