nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:59 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

RIP CR Lip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:14 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

daytonars4 wrote:
With how the final ratios worked out, the "overweight" E46 M3's will likely be among the top dogs in this class. So why not allow the e36's to upgrade to the e46 ABS systems? I guess I can see an argument for limiting people from going to the expensive race ABS/traction control systems. But not allowing people to use the OEM equipment that other cars in the class have seems odd.

Here is the rule:

7.3.2.E) ST4 Anti-lock braking systems (ABS)
For ST4 only--Anti-lock braking systems may only be OEM or offered specifically for the car model (any trim model or generation) as a factory option. No OEM systems offered for a different car model or aftermarket systems are permitted.

My reading of the "any generation" clause is that you can put an e46 ABS on an e36 and not violate the rule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:47 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

fbirch wrote:
daytonars4 wrote:
With how the final ratios worked out, the "overweight" E46 M3's will likely be among the top dogs in this class. So why not allow the e36's to upgrade to the e46 ABS systems? I guess I can see an argument for limiting people from going to the expensive race ABS/traction control systems. But not allowing people to use the OEM equipment that other cars in the class have seems odd.

Here is the rule:

7.3.2.E) ST4 Anti-lock braking systems (ABS)
For ST4 only--Anti-lock braking systems may only be OEM or offered specifically for the car model (any trim model or generation) as a factory option. No OEM systems offered for a different car model or aftermarket systems are permitted.

My reading of the "any generation" clause is that you can put an e46 ABS on an e36 and not violate the rule

Correct. :mrgreen:

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:53 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

"c) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from the vehicle."

Would this 4" be measured from the horizontal distance to the fascia/airdam where the splitter would intersect with the vehicle or would it be from a plumb line dropped from the most forward part of the vehicle?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

NorcalTT wrote:
"c) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from the vehicle."

Would this 4" be measured from the horizontal distance to the fascia/airdam where the splitter would intersect with the vehicle or would it be from a plumb line dropped from the most forward part of the vehicle?

...Tape measure from the edge of the splitter to the intersection with the vehicle.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
NorcalTT wrote:

...Tape measure from the edge of the splitter to the intersection with the vehicle.

Apologies for the clarifications as I am new to TT and trying to figure the rules out.

For the splitter, on something like an FR-S where the front bumper has the "fangs" on the edges and recesses inwards, would the splitter have to similarly recess in that section? If so, as I read the rules, an extension could be added to the recessed area of the bumper that does not exceed 2" or an angle of 5 degrees and then the recess of the splitter would not be required (if the answer to the previous question is yes), correct?

On the rule re: cutting of the rear bumper, can these be cut in the rear of the vehicle as well as the part of the bumper behind the rear wheels and on the side of the vehicle so long as the sections removed do not cover the rear frame/bumper cross beam? Additionally, if the rear frame is higher than the cross beam, can a smaller aftermarket cross beam be run and additional bumper be removed?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:35 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

jbjones wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
NorcalTT wrote:

Apologies for the clarifications as I am new to TT and trying to figure the rules out.

For the splitter, on something like an FR-S where the front bumper has the "fangs" on the edges and recesses inwards, would the splitter have to similarly recess in that section? If so, as I read the rules, an extension could be added to the recessed area of the bumper that does not exceed 2" or an angle of 5 degrees and then the recess of the splitter would not be required (if the answer to the previous question is yes), correct?

On the rule re: cutting of the rear bumper, can these be cut in the rear of the vehicle as well as the part of the bumper behind the rear wheels and on the side of the vehicle so long as the sections removed do not cover the rear frame/bumper cross beam? Additionally, if the rear frame is higher than the cross beam, can a smaller aftermarket cross beam be run and additional bumper be removed?

Photos needed for your first question.

Even if your model vehicle utilizes a single piece to act as a rear quarter panel/rear bumper cover, the side of the car is still the side of the car, and the area behind the rear tires on the side of the vehicle would likely be interpreted as not being part of the rear fascia. So, it should not be cut, except at the rear to prevent a protest.
The second part of that question:
"every Production vehicle must retain its unmodified:
1) OEM frame rails/rear frame cross beam, and/or Unibody, and Sub-
frames/suspension cross-members (in their OEM locations)."

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:11 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
Even if your model vehicle utilizes a single piece to act as a rear quarter panel/rear bumper cover, the side of the car is still the side of the car, and the area behind the rear tires on the side of the vehicle would likely be interpreted as not being part of the rear fascia. So, it should not be cut, except at the rear to prevent a protest.

is this the actual interpretation of the rule or just a probable scenario that might lead to later discussions about the rule?

I'm assuming the area in front of the front tires on the side of the vehicle is considered the front fascia and not the side of the vehicle. being the front fascia the rules of 7.3.2 D 2)e) apply.

if my assumption is correct about the front, why wouldn't the entire rear bumper cover/fascia(even behind the rear wheels) be considered part of the rear bumper cover fascia for rule 7.3.2 D 2)e)?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:23 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

7.3.2 D 2)
aerodynamic parts/devices/aides shall be limited in ST4 to the following

if a car has oem side skirts and an oem rear diffuser will they need to be removed for the car to run in ST4?

are the cars listed in appendix B exempt from the ST4 limitations?
for example will a bmw be able to use m3 side skirts and an m3 diffuser and still be legal in ST4?

the ZR1 listed in appendix B has '(front fascia only)' wording.
does that mean the ZR1 must remove the rear diffuser and side skirts to run in ST4?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:03 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Hi Greg,

Got another splitter rule clarification question for you - this one came out of a conversation I recently had w/another potential ST4 driver...

So the rule states we can use: "c) Single flat, horizontal front splitter that protrudes no greater than 4” from the vehicle."

I read "flat" and "horizontal" to mean the entire splitter must reside on a single plane with all lines parallel to the horizon, both viewed from the front of the car and from the side of the car (sans any inherent angle from rake in the chassis set-up).

My buddy reads this to mean only viewed from the front. So under his reading, when viewed from the side the splitter can be flat/horizontal for the first 4" or so, but then have an angle (or more than one) that kicks up in the rear. His claim is that when viewed from the front, all lines of the splitter are parallel with the horizon (so it's "horizontal"), and there are no curves in the splitter (so it's "flat").

I think this is a b.s. reading of the rule. Viewed from the side the splitter is clearly NOT flat, nor are all lines parallel with the horizon. Would you please clarify for us before something get's fabricated. =)

Best,
-john

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next