Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

TECHNICAL BULLETIN 5-4-16
ST3 "OEM Aero" Modification Factor

D) ST3 Only Production Vehicle Aerodynamics (does not apply to ST1 or ST2 vehicles)

Production vehicles that maintain their unmodified OEM trim model body lines and do not have non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modifications may assess the Modification Factor for “OEM Aero” in calculating the “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” (7.4). Under this specific rule, an aerodynamic aide is considered non-OEM if it did not come configured on the vehicle from the manufacturing factory on the competing vehicle's trim model. There is no updating or backdating across trim models or the addition of dealer installed OEM options permitted.

Some examples of items not permitted under the "OEM Aero" Modification Factor would be the addition of Z06 or Z07 Aero aides to a base trim Corvette, or the Laguna Seca Aero package on a Mustang GT.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:46 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

So just simple example...... rich guy shows up with new Z06 (so he has factory aero), where as the not so rich guy shows up with a base stingray with Z06 aero added.... not so rich guy takes it in the shorts because he has the same "factory" aero :? .

Not to be confrontational, but I'm dying to here the argument for parody in this simple example.....

Fairness in aerodynamics would be the "base" trim for the model (i.e. the not so rich guy model) is the comparison guideline for if modifications have been made.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:03 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

moremazda wrote:
So just simple example...... rich guy shows up with new Z06 (so he has factory aero), where as the not so rich guy shows up with a base stingray with Z06 aero added.... not so rich guy takes it in the shorts because he has the same "factory" aero :? .

Not to be confrontational, but I'm dying to here the argument for parody in this simple example.....

Rich guy would have to detune his car by 100-200+ HP in order to get into ST3, which is too painful to see with his car that fits into ST2 or ST3, and is highly competitive.

Or,

Rich guy detunes his car by 200+ HP, and a Technical Bulletin comes out the next day.

Or,

This rule goes away in '17 altogether, and is substituted by a rule that has nothing to do with what comes on the car OEM that applies to both ST3 and ST4.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
Rich guy would have to detune his car by 100-200+ HP in order to get into ST3, which is too painful to see with his car that fits into ST2 or ST3, and is highly competitive.

Or,

Rich guy detunes his car by 200+ HP, and a Technical Bulletin comes out the next day.

Or,

This rule goes away in '17 altogether, and is substituted by a rule that has nothing to do with what comes on the car OEM that applies to both ST3 and ST4.

But the rule was intented to create an equalizer between those that choose aero and those that choose power, correct? Your example highlights how the rule handicaps those that can not start with the more expensive car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

moremazda wrote:
But the rule was intented to create an equalizer between those that choose aero and those that choose power, correct? Your example highlights how the rule handicaps those that can not start with the more expensive car.

I don't understand your point. I think my example shows that someone starting with an expensive car (with good OEM aero) that comes OEM with way too much power to be close to being in ST3 or ST4 will not end up competing in ST3 or ST4.

I would say that as opposed to the rule handicapping those that cannot start with the more expensive car, I would say that life handicaps those than cannot start with the more expensive __________. (You can fill in "car" or lots of other things here). Here is an example for you, there is no doubt that someone who can afford to throw $500,000 into an amateur race car has an advantage over someone who can only put $25,000 into the car. However, the great equalizer is talent, and we have seen those with much cheaper cars school those with more expensive cars year after year. :lol:

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:25 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
I don't understand your point. I think my example shows that someone starting with an expensive car (with good OEM aero) that comes OEM with way too much power to be close to being in ST3 or ST4 will not end up competing in ST3 or ST4.

I would say that as opposed to the rule handicapping those that cannot start with the more expensive car, I would say that life handicaps those than cannot start with the more expensive __________. (You can fill in "car" or lots of other things here). Here is an example for you, there is no doubt that someone who can afford to throw $500,000 into an amateur race car has an advantage over someone who can only put $25,000 into the car. However, the great equalizer is talent, and we have seen those with much cheaper cars school those with more expensive cars year after year. :lol:

I want to be clear, I know cubic dollars is not something that can be written out of the rule book, but I don't see how writing in explicit instructions on how to purchase rule skirting is helpful to class participation.

Your example is little more than useless rhetoric, you speak to nothing technical regarding the rule set. The rules allow de-tuning.... or at least don't prevent it, and the classification form allows for multiple tunes and the corresponding class declaration (which makes sense for a power to weight rule). However, the aero rule DOES handicap those that try to create parody between different trim levels of the same model, and that you have offered no justification for .....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:20 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Hi Greg,

Basically, in order to qualify for the "OEM Aero" mod factor, all body panels must be unmodified OEM size and shape, correct? So no hood vents or vented fender liners? Also, it is ok for a base model C6 to be converted to a Grand Sport using all GM body parts that came on the standard Grand Sport (no optional aero parts) and still be considered "OEM Aero"? Thanks.

#015 Great Lakes region

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:12 pm 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

No, you used to be able to convert (to a Grand Sport for instance) but now you cannot. You can only run your car as the aero came from the factory, for your exact model. BUT hoods have always been open......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Wait, you are saying to two cars can be setup completely identically except and have a different modified Pwr/Wt? How exactly is this fair at all, doesn't this just make the pay to play factor higher for almost no reason?

Why not just make OEM aero the BASE trim of the vehicle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:44 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

I guess so, a Z06 Carbon with a factory splitter and factory spoiler can run approx 25 more HP than a normal Z06 that has added those parts....even though they are GM parts.