nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:31 am 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

Folks, below are most of the significant proposed ST Rules revisions for 2016.

For those in ST1 and ST2--pretty simple--non-DOT tires now have a Mod Factor of -0.5 instead of -0.7, and you can't have aero parts protruding more than 6" from the sides of the vehicle. Also, the Dyno procedures section has been tightened up for all vehicles, but without significant changes other than Dyno tests done after 12-1-15 need to include the numeric table of RPM and HP, and vehicles that have redline over 7250 rpm need to hit the rev-limiter on at least one pull.

As you can see, we are making changes to ST3 that may carry over to all ST classes in the future if they prove to be successful this season. The official publish date for the rules is Dec 1st. I'm posting these now because I believe they have a very high likelihood of becoming official changes, and I wanted the ST3 competitors to be able to start looking at their situations now, especially the guys who start competing in January. Comments regarding potential unforeseen problems are welcome. All of the ST, TT, and PT Directors are reviewing the actual draft of the rules currently for their comments. However, I will delete any posts from this thread that are not helpful to this process. Due to formatting issues here, the following are not exact copies of the draft rules.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Touring 1 (ST1) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 5.50:1
Super Touring 2 (ST2) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 8.00:1
Super Touring 3 (ST3) = “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” equal to, or greater than, 10.00:1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-9-15--Note: This formula is the new draft proposed formula in the comment period

8.2 ST3/TT3 Average Horsepower Calculation

New for 2016: The number used for calculating the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio for the ST3 (and TT3) classes will no longer be the maximum horsepower of the three Dyno runs. It will be a calculated average giving a better approximation of the maximum horsepower available over a range of usable RPM. The Dyno test with the highest maximum horsepower will be used to calculate this average (not an average of the three Dyno runs) as follows:

Ave HP = Average HP calculated and used in in the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio
Max HP = Maximum horsepower

The following ten (10) data points will be obtained from the Dyno’s numeric RPM/HP table printout:
Horsepower at: 500 rpm, 1000 rpm, 1500 rpm, 2000 rpm, 2500 rpm greater than Max HP rpm
Horsepower at: 500 rpm, 1000 rpm, 1500 rpm, 2000 rpm, 2500 rpm less than Max HP rpm
(If any of the above data points at higher RPM than Max HP RPM do not exist due to redline, then those potential data points will not be used in the calculation of Ave HP.)

The highest three (3) data points of the above ten (10) will be used in the calculation below:

Ave HP = Max HP +(sum of the highest three data points) Divided by 4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D) ST3 Only Production Vehicle Aerodynamics (does not apply to ST1 or ST2 vehicles)

Production vehicles that maintain their unmodified OEM body lines and do not have non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modifications may assess the Modification Factor for “OEM Aero” in calculating the “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” (7.4).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.4.2 Modification Factors

The “Modification Factor” listed after each item below is added or subtracted from the actual measured Wt/HP ratio to calculate the “Adjusted Wt./HP Ratio” which determines vehicle legality in each ST class.

Non-Production Vehicle: = -0.4

Production Vehicle Body Type: 4-door Sedan or 5-door Wagon = +0.2
(none of these apply to Modification of the OEM roof line/shape = -0.3
Non-Production vehicles) Modification of the floor pan for exhaust clearance only
and/or the rocker panel for side exit exhaust only = -0.2
ST3 ONLY: OEM Aero (see 7.3.2.D) = +0.4

Engine: Rotary with a maximum of two rotors and one turbocharger turbine = +0.3
Naturally aspirated (non-rotary) engine with displacement 1.9L or less = +0.3
Rear Engine Location ('99+ year only) w/Comp. Wt. less than 2700 lbs = -0.2
Rear Engine Location ('99+ year only) w/Comp. Wt. 2700-2900 lbs = -0.1
(Rear Engine = Behind rear axle only—See Appendix A)

Transmission: ST1 & ST2: Dog-ring/straight-cut gears (non-synchromesh),
and/or sequential/paddle shift/semi-automatic = -0.2
ST3 ONLY: OEM street-legal model available paddle shift/DCT/SMG
or sequential motorcycle gearbox = -0.2
ST3 ONLY: Dog-ring/straight-cut gears (non-synchromesh),
and/or all other sequential/semi-automatic = -0.6

(no assessment for automatic utilizing a torque converter)

Drivetrain: AWD = -0.3
FWD = +1.0

Tires: Non-DOT approved tires = -0.5 (CTSC EC-Dry Continentals see App. A)
Size 10.5” (267mm) to 9.6” (244mm) non-DOT approved = +0.3
Size 9.5” (241mm) or smaller non-DOT approved = +0.7
Size 275 to 250 (DOT approved) = +0.3
Size 245 or smaller (DOT approved) = +0.7
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11-9-15--Disregard this rule. It is being deleted from the draft, and will be saved for possible use in the future in the potential
lower ST classes.

A) Other than the listed exceptions, every Production vehicle must retain its unmodified:
1) OEM frame rails/rear frame cross beam, and/or Unibody, and Sub-frames/
suspension cross-members (in their OEM locations)
2) Strut/shock towers
3) Inner/inboard side of the fender wells (any non-horizontal aspect)
4) Rocker panels
5) Transmission tunnel
6) Floor pan
7) Windshield frame location
8) Rear quarter panels

The following are permitted exceptions to 7.3.2.A above:
8a) Flaring/rolling/cutting of the outside aspect of the rear fenders and/or adding
additional material as fender flares for the purpose of tire clearance or venting for
aerodynamic and/or cooling purposes is permitted.
8b) Repair of body damage with body filler putty or fiberglass is permitted, but at
least 80% of the original body panel material must remain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7.3.1 Restrictions and Limitations for All Vehicles (Non-Production and Production)

All vehicles must adhere to the following modification restrictions and limitations:

1) Active aerodynamic devices and/or modifications (including, but not limited to,
computerized, cockpit adjustable, self-adjusting, and OEM) are not permitted.
Aerodynamic devices and/or modifications may not protrude more than six (6”)
inches from the vertical plane from the ground to the widest part of the right and left sides of the vehicle’s body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:14 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

HP RL-2k clarification in the wording...Is this hp at 2000 rpm minus redline (I think) or minus hp at 2000 rpm? Or is it literally hp (ex, 300) at redline - 2000?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:48 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

looks like redline, minus 2000 to me.... ie a 6900rpm redline would use 4900rpm as this number.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:20 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Greg:

I am not clear on the modification factor for non-OEM aero for ST3/TT3.

It appears that modification factor is 0.0.

The difference between non-OEM and OEM aero is still 0.4 with the +0.4 mod for OEM aero.

Am I understanding this correctly.

Denis

2016 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up
2015 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up
2014 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Clavette wrote:
Greg:

The difference between non-OEM and OEM aero is still 0.4 with the +0.4 mod for OEM aero.

Denis

Production vehicles that maintain their unmodified OEM body lines and do not have non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modifications may assess the Modification Factor for “OEM Aero” in calculating the “Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio” (7.4).

As I read it: ST3 is 10.0:1 for a given vehicle...unless you do not add/remove/modify/replace OEM aero then it would be 10.4:1 for that vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

Greg G. wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A) Other than the listed exceptions, every Production vehicle must retain its unmodified:
1) OEM frame rails/rear frame cross beam, and/or Unibody, and Sub-frames/
suspension cross-members (in their OEM locations)
2) Strut/shock towers
3) Inner/inboard side of the fender wells (any non-horizontal aspect)
4) Rocker panels
5) Transmission tunnel
6) Floor pan
7) Windshield frame location
8) Rear quarter panels

The following are permitted exceptions to 7.3.2.A above:
8a) Flaring/rolling/cutting of the outside aspect of the rear fenders and/or adding
additional material as fender flares for the purpose of tire clearance or venting for
aerodynamic and/or cooling purposes is permitted.
8b) Repair of body damage with body filler putty or fiberglass is permitted, but at
least 80% of the original body panel material must remain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg,

Can you further clarify the ruling on the addition of the rear fender ruling? So, by this wording, I cannot purchase aftermarket "wide body fenders" for my car? But I can flare the OEM Vette fenders to accomplish the same tire clearance?

Where is the line drawn on what I can do in the name of aero, evacuating fender wheel pressure, and feeding a diffuser?

As an fyi, I have yet to do any of this to my car, but depending on the rules interpretation here, there are several EXISTING cars that will have to re-engineer the rear of their cars to meet the rules.

-Kevin

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 East Coast Champion
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:32 am 
Forum Racer
Forum Racer

Please explain the reasoning for not allowing an aftermarket flared rear fender/quarterpanel but instead allowing the functional equivalent in the form of a DIY flare or purchased "over fender flare" or simply cut fender.
Are you guys going for a LeMons look in the ST class?
What is wrong with flared fenders anyway? They are platform neutral and typically relatively low dollar, in the grand scheme of things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:42 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

ILIKETODRIVE wrote:
Clavette wrote:
Greg:

Denis

As I read it: ST3 is 10.0:1 for a given vehicle...unless you do not add/remove/modify/replace OEM aero then it would be 10.4:1 for that vehicle.

I think a OEM aero car would run at 9.6:1.

Non OEM at 10:1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:10 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

erik911 wrote:
I think a OEM aero car would run at 9.6:1.

Non OEM at 10:1

This is how I read it. Aftermarket aero is no longer a penalty to the base ratio, but OEM aero gets you a .4 ratio give back. Which makes sense given the intent for ST/TT3 to split the difference in speed between ST/TT2 and PT/TTB more equally.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:28 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg,

Do the weight tables go away? Or do they stay in?

Erik Davis

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next