nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

Quote:
The A-arm Mod Factor brings these vehicles very close to where they were at using Dyno re-classing (maybe 0.1-0.2 off).

Funny, I looked through the classification sheets at the last event when a record holding e36m3 showed up. Our Dyno reclass power to weight ratio was almost identical. going forward, it looks like that's not going to be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

hufflepuff wrote:
Quote:
The A-arm Mod Factor brings these vehicles very close to where they were at using Dyno re-classing (maybe 0.1-0.2 off).

Funny, I looked through the classification sheets at the last event when a record holding e36m3 showed up. Our Dyno reclass power to weight ratio was almost identical. going forward, it looks like that's not going to be the case.

Did you look at average HP?
My dyno reclass TTD Integra shows max 160 hp. When I followed the instructions for average hp I ended up with 145 hp even though my sheet had a max of 159 hp. I’m thinking an RX8 would would have a much different average hp than an M3 with the same max hp.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:15 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

hufflepuff wrote:
Quote:

I was actually speaking to the Miata, S2000, FR-S, Boxster.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:27 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

hufflepuff wrote:
Where do the tire recommendations stand? Classing the 100TW budget r comps with Hoosier R7s is off.

We are going to revise the +0.3 Mod Factor from 200 TW non-R compounds tires to just 100 TW or higher. Any tire not in production and listed as 100 TW or higher as of now will need to be approved by NASA before using this Mod Factor.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:18 am 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

Quick question, is it less than 265 or equal to/less? For example - base Cayman is rated at 265, is it eligible for ST5?

Thanks

SpecE46 #43

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:17 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
hufflepuff wrote:
Where do the tire recommendations stand? Classing the 100TW budget r comps with Hoosier R7s is off.

We are going to revise the +0.3 Mod Factor from 200 TW non-R compounds tires to just 100 TW or higher. Any tire not in production and listed as 100 TW or higher as of now will need to be approved by NASA before using this Mod Factor.

This is an excellent update Greg. Thank you for reconsidering the tire modifiers. This will help all of us on the Maxxis contingency get a bit more competitive as well as allow a little more provision for guys that are driving to the track or don’t have a set of “full track” wheels.

Hopefully, Hoosier won’t relabel the R7 as 100TW. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Greg G. wrote:
hufflepuff wrote:

The only feedback I've been hearing, from anyone, is that 0.7 is far too aggressive. I thought we wanted the rules to start "conservative"?

Conservative is to start out with more ballast or less power for these vehicles, and allow lighter weight or more power in the future if needed. Despite your local BMW success, which could certainly be track dependent, or driver dependent, or $$$ dependent, our National data don't seem to show the same findings.
We are aware of the BMW not having upper A-arms, and we also have a lot of data from the past, showing that vehicles like the Miata in PTD/TTD were faster than well prepped PTC/TTC BMW's with good drivers (same goes for FR-S/BRZ, and S2000's tended to dominate the C class). Most of these cars were actually Dyno re-classed, and we know where their Wt/HP ratios were at and how much room they had for additional Mods. The A-arm Mod Factor brings these vehicles very close to where they were at using Dyno re-classing (maybe 0.1-0.2 off). Is it possible that we will need to do something about the BMW's? Maybe or maybe not, but despite some folks opinions that rules should be in stone forever, we don't have a problem making small adjustments to try and keep the competition at the driver level if possible. We have seen what can happen with factory supported Miatas and FR-S's, and on more than one occasion it has gone like this: BMW sets new TT track record, and then Miata or FR-S or Boxster goes out in a later session and beats the new record by 4 seconds. So, we are not going to make changes to this Mod Factor at this time, so you can stop repeatedly arguing about it. We get your opinion, and you may end up being correct, but we are going to let the cars do the talking, not the bench. Yes, it was debated if the number was too high, and NASA executives decided to keep it there to start. If it did turn out to be a "BMW spec class", that wouldn't last too long.

Care to share your data for that evaluation?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:35 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

UKRBMW wrote:
Quick question, is it less than 265 or equal to/less? For example - base Cayman is rated at 265, is it eligible for ST5?

Thanks

So, any chance of getting an answer or was it already answered and I missed it?

SpecE46 #43

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:50 pm 
Postmeister in Chief
Postmeister in Chief

UKRBMW wrote:
UKRBMW wrote:

Thanks

So, any chance of getting an answer or was it already answered and I missed it?

"
4 Eligible Manufacturers/Models/Configurations
All vehicles must either be listed in section 6.3.3 or originate as four-wheel, fendered/closed-wheel, Production street vehicles with less than 265 hp (two-hundred sixty-five) factory rated engine horsepower, an engine displacement less than 5.1L"

The Cayman and later model WRX are not eligible for ST5.

greg@nasa-tt.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:07 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

According to the rule set, the 981 Cayman Base 06-08 should be eligible since it was factory rated at 245HP. The 987.2 and 981 Caymans are 265HP and up in base trim.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next