nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:55 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

Leland wrote:
if this whole thing is about keeping cost down and competitive and fun and fast and hard to cheat and whatever else for H2 then why allow any internal engine mods beside the basic decking the head, .040 over or etc...

You obviously haven't read the rules closely, nowhere is .040 over allowed in H2, it must be a size available from the dealer as a factory part and the dealer max size is .25 over only (10.3(B)) besides standard. Punching .25 over does virtually nothing and is only important for when a cylinder get scratched or is out of tolerance. I have tried it all and I speak from experience. The power is all in the heads and by the rules you can work on the heads enough to get a fat powerband.

As for the cap, if one guy uses a junkyard engine that meets the cap, and one guy builds to the rules but tunes for the cap. The guy that tunes for the cap will have a fatter curve under the cap thus if you still want an advantage, you can find one by tuning your car for a low to mid powerband. That in itself is a challenge as much as it it to build the most HP you can. I can tell you my engines and my customers will have the fattest curve under the cap possible to maximize the hp opportunity we are given. Will this keep cost down, not too sure but at least the HP will be fair because I am tired of naturally being at the cap with my motor built to the max of the rules, while another has 15+ over the cap tuned to no cap, and pulls away from me.

Bump drafting or a little "hey I'm here touch" should be a part of racing and should have no penalty, However the kamikaze dive bomb and no hold barred driving in the ones door will not be tolerated and that is a good thing.

95 civic SoCal #64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I didn't know that we were able to do any internal mods. Even the shaving of the head is very specific by the compression allowed. One inch port matching is hardly a huge mod. There is hp to gain there , and the valve train can be change but still valves have to be oem.
So we have a blue printed honda engine. Optimized for what we do. How is this spending more money.
You could dyno and spend money there, but for the cap , in a mild build you should be able to be out of there in no more than 2 hrs.
So how it is that we are spending more money following the rules. Please explain because I don't understand.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

8.1 Engine
a) Engines may be balanced and/or blueprinted. Lightning of moving parts beyond what is necessary to
balance is prohibited. Engine bearings may be replaced with aftermarket replacements and engine
clearances (piston to wall, valve lash, etc) are unrestricted and are considered blueprinting.
b) Engines may be bored to a maximum of .040 inch (1 mm) over standard bore size.

hmmm nuff typed

as far as INTERNAL MODS take it from TB to oil pan must remain oem for the series engine used and .5 compression makes a difference.

1990 Acura Integra #510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

10. Allowed modifications - H2 ONLY
10.1 Introductory notes(read 10.1 B)
10.2 Limited prep vehicles only
10.3 Limited prep vehicles Engine Preparation

The rules you typed don't apply to H2 Limited prep cars. Only H1 and H4 etc. It is very clear if you read every line in the book. I build engines for a living, I know what the rules are. Take some time and go over every line and it will come to you.

95 civic SoCal #64

Last edited by JW Racing on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

I will again say I am new to the game and would like to know if anyone has a quick link to a thread from 2010 or 11 that explains the original HP caps for nationals so then maybe I can have a new perspective on the ruling.

1990 Acura Integra #510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:26 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

They can be found in the private drivers section in the caps thread and "my b16 engine at nats" thread

95 civic SoCal #64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:05 am 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

JW Racing wrote:
They can be found in the private drivers section in the caps thread and "my b16 engine at nats" thread

ninja lol i guess i have a reason to get in on the "PRIVATE" drivers forum then.

and

"it must be a size available from the dealer as a factory part and the dealer max size is .25 over only (10.3(B)) besides standard."

I stand corrected sir... I have never actually looked to see what was available from the dealer and .25 over is the only optional size offered.

1990 Acura Integra #510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am 
Forum Time Trialer
Forum Time Trialer

No biggie, I just want to be sure the correct information is out there. Not trying to be a jerk. :P H2 has its own tight rule set and this is why I often run H1 to unleash some demons once in a while but nobody runs H1 here and H2 is the surely place if you want to battle the best drivers.

Ninja indeed! Jeremy should get back shortly with your allowance to the private section. It may be a day though not sure how often he check it.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the cap if I were you, and take full advantage of it not being in your region. If you intend to travel to the nats on the other hand, then you may definitely want to be informed and do your homework. If you intend to run So cal once in a while, you will be allowed the HP you have and you will need it as So Cal and Nor cal has some of the best HC drivers in the country, capped or not.

95 civic SoCal #64

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:45 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

civicek wrote:
But you have to remember that h2 is basically h4 with a swap and you should be able to go to the junk yard and swap an engine and be competitive.

@civicek....Dude, I don't know which H4 rules you have or have not read. No way is H2 "basically H4 with a swap". Maybe that is what it was supposed to be way back when and maybe that is how it should be now but H4 does not allow lexan, carbon fiber hood, cams,etc. Some cars in H4 are forced by the rules to race with smaller brake packages than their competitors who have the same motor and weight. Ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Hot Lapper
Forum Hot Lapper

joe barile wrote:
civicek wrote:
But you have to remember that h2 is basically h4 with a swap and you should be able to go to the junk yard and swap an engine and be competitive.

@civicek....Dude, I don't know which H4 rules you have or have not read. No way is H2 "basically H4 with a swap". Maybe that is what it was supposed to be way back when and maybe that is how it should be now but H4 does not allow lexan, carbon fiber hood, cams,etc. Some cars in H4 are forced by the rules to race with smaller brake packages than their competitors who have the same motor and weight. Ask me how I know.

ok, "dude", besides a swap and a few minor mods, tell me what is the huge difference between them, and again if you read my post I said "basically". You can take a H4 CRX single cam vtec, change the cams and intake and voila you have a H2 car. So BASICALLY is the same car and you didn't even need a swap. That's what I meant by "basically", dude.
If your car makes weight without lexan, you don't need to use lexan or carbon fiber anything, in fact there is a bunch of cars running just glass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next