nasaforums.com

Official Forums of the National Auto Sport Association
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:31 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

Pretty sure this was a DE4 and TT (for points) run group.

It was my first time at WGI plus I had the added mental pressure of messing up a TT guys time. It's pretty slow uphill corner anyway.

As far as my NEED to do that and getting out of someones way.... nothing wrong with running a different line now and then is there? :wink: There to learn and to try new things, within reason of course.

I'll stop now. Thanks for the discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:06 am 
Postmeister
Postmeister

getfast wrote:

(Please don't say because TTers... this is part of why TT should not run with DE3.)

But they do... in several regions....

$T2/$T3 C5Z06 #01
2015 ST2 East Coast Champion
David Farmer Racing, G-LOC Brakes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:12 am 
Postmeister General
Postmeister General

As a former regional director I certainly understand why it happens... we do it here but only for warmups and that seems to work... I'll shut up now :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 pm 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

freq wrote:
For instance, I'm an HPDE3 guy, grouped with HPDE4 and TT guys who are running for points by the way, at Watkins Glen. Coming out of T7 "the toe" I never track out and stay inside after the apex. Pointing them by on my left side. What's so unpredictable?

For me in HPDE 3 when I tried that a couple times at Oak Tree at VIR not tracking out meant taking the corner a couple mph slower and getting on the gas much later.

When the car behind you is expecting you to take a corner at a certain speed based off your last couple corners as he was catching up and he makes a run on a corner like Oak Tree and your going slower then he predicted it has caused some close calls.

I just drive my line and try to be as predictable as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 pm 
Hard-core Forum Racer
Hard-core Forum Racer

I've got another question along these lines that has to do with passing someone in a turn or just before one in DE-3 or DE-4. Certainly best avoided but sometimes it happens and in DE-4 it is something we should learn how to do, I guess.

But lets say I'm approaching a slower car as we both approach a fairly tight left hand turn. In DE the passing car is expected to go off line and we don't have the same rules as racers about who 'own's the line. So the slower car is on the outside, I am on the inside and pull ahead just as we enter the turn. What I typically do is hold my line and stay inside, which pretty much kills my momentum through the turn. That's no big deal of course, but on several occasions the car I'm passing is not where I think it is going to be because they clearly expected me to apex and then track out in front of them the way you would if you were racing which means they are waiting for me to track out in front of them. This stuffs them in the turn and several of them have understandably shown their disapproval. :lol: No close calls or anything but it ruins their momentum through he turn.

So what is the proper protocol? Go through the corner like in DE-3 side-by-side drill or track out in front of them?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:14 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

There is no right answer. If you go through a turn side-by-side, (depending on the corner) neither of you are on the fast line. It's going to give both of your momentum regardless of where you track out.

If I can tell in my mirrors that I've cleared the car, I will retake the line (whether that is tracking out, or lining up for a corner). If I cannot tell if I have cleared the car, I stay on a "safe line". HPDE is not about getting that fast lap, it's more about being safe with other drivers. With that, just use your head. If you can't tell where the other car is, assume it's beside you.

Honda S2000 #324
2016 TTB Central Region Champion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 am 
Forum Spectator
Forum Spectator

driver14 wrote:
On the original question, I have been doing HPDE for about 8 years, in HPDE3/4 since about the second year. And still love doing it. I’ve considered instructing, but I just don’t think the passenger seat is the place for me. Considered TT, but chasing that last tenth hasn’t enticed me. And I don’t want to spend the money to be competitive racing, even though that was probably the original plan way back when. I like driving it to the track, everything needed packed in the trunk, no truck/trailer/etc.

Why is it still fun this way? Recently I’d say track variety. I’ve had the most fun the last year or so doing Barber, Mid-Ohio and Daytona for the first time - learning a new track and knocking several seconds off over the weekend. And car variety can be fun too. I started out in an Integra that quickly became fully track prepped. But a couple of years ago I went back to my daily driver and had a blast. It didn’t handle as well, so you really had to drive it. I’m currently on my 3rd different dd, each a different drive. Finally, the NASA social aspect is unbeatable. Just because you’re in HPDE doesn’t mean you can’t get to know everybody. I’ve known several current instructors, TT’ers, racers and HPDE’ers for years.

Agreed. Sometimes the cost, stress and personal frustration of racing exceeds the fun. Been in both competitive and non-competitive for 20 years, honestly the enjoyment factor increases when the pain and effort are decreased.

Hopping in your "track car" and driving to the track without spending tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars for tow/trailer/tools/engines/tires/brakes/etc/etc/etc/etc might not make it as competitive, but the fun factor is much higher when you're done at the end of the day and only require a beverage as you sit in your A/C and listen to the radio.

Driving in a competitive race car with no A/C, nothing in the dash, roll cage, not even windshield fluid for 5+ hours at this point, sounds like cruel punishment. When you're 25 and fit with no back troubles, no problem. The social enjoyment of open tracks without the competition obsessed willing to clip another car for that .05 second faster lap time seems more befitting.